Hagstrom Super Swede or Epiphone Les Paul

steve_man

• Members

Okay, may seem like apples to apples. However, I'm sure there are pluses and minuses to both models. That's what I would like to know, as I would have to buy a Hagstrom without having played one.

So...

Super Swede (or Swede)

410613.jpg

or

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top

and...can you please tell me why? :D

474956.jpg

• Members

Hagstrom Super Swede any day, but you have to like a skinny neck to get along. Great playability, resin fretboard feels like ebony, pickups are real nice and coil tapped sound telecasterish. I think it is a much better guitar than the Epi. I bought mine sight unseen and couldn't have been happier. Setup was perfect from the box.

• Members

This is exactly my problem...can't test a Hagstrom...I'll be in Dallas next week, but I don't know of a place that carries them there, either....

There's this cool new thing... it's called the "internet".

Hear tell there's all sorts of information posted on it...

Hmmm. Hagstrom dealer in Dallas area... but you don't know where...

What about the Hagstrom dealer information on their website...

Lone Star Performance

c/o Benjamin Frey

2600 Hollow Ridge Dr

Denton, TX 76210

30 miles

940-271-0031

:wave:

M

• Members

My experience owning a Hagstrom was spot on. LOVE the neck and fretboard. Perfectly clean guitar etc. I have not owned the Swede - I know some are heavy. Epi could be the same way or not, some people want heavy, some not.

The pickups on the Ultraswede [smaller guitar] were not that great. The rest was a dream.

• Members

There's this cool new thing... it's called the "internet".

Hear tell there's all sorts of information posted on it...

Hmmm. Hagstrom dealer in Dallas area... but you don't know where...

What about the Hagstrom dealer information on their website...

Lone Star Performance

c/o Benjamin Frey

2600 Hollow Ridge Dr

Denton, TX 76210

30 miles

940-271-0031

:wave:

M

Denton is hardly "in the area." It's a long drive north from where I'll be in Fort Worth...but maybe...we'll see...thanks for looking it up though....

• Members

Hagstrom Super Swede any day, but you have to like a skinny neck to get along. Great playability, resin fretboard feels like ebony, pickups are real nice and coil tapped sound telecasterish. I think it is a much better guitar than the Epi. I bought mine sight unseen and couldn't have been happier. Setup was perfect from the box.

Skinny neck? How skinny? Like Ibanez skinny?

• Members

I have a Hagstrom Select Super Swede on the way and currently own an Ultra Swede now.

I have also owned & quickly sold an Epi LP custom.

The Ultra Swede is a GORGEOUS guitar! Fit, finish, sound, feel, are all amazing. Much better than I expected. I was disappointed with the Epi I had. So I'd go Hagstrom, I'm thinking the Select Super Swede will be even better, should have it this week.

• Members

I like the big, thick, Epiphone neck but don't find the Hagstrom necks uncomfortable at all. Since everything else on both guitars can be changed / improved, the deciding factor will probably be how the neck fits you.

The Hags neck shape, while thin, is very comfortable and the feel of the resin fretboard a big plus. Although not outstanding, the pups on the Hag are a lot better than Epi's and actually usable when split.

Nice finish and workmanship on both but the whole look of the Hag is a slightly more modern look to the traditional design... without going overboard to look modern or a tacky "Hey, look at me!" vibe. IMO, the Hag looks "classy".

Although I'm not an LP guy and even prefering Epi's chunky necks, if this were my choice, I'd go with the Hag.

• Members

hags are renowned for their neck stability, they make thin yet very strong necks using their unique neck truss system...

like everyone said if you like thinner necks then these babys are thin and strong..

a friend used to have an older electric semi hollow 12string hagstrom and man that neck was thinner than most of my 6 string guitars and straight as an arrow, so they have always had a reputation for their necks good stability...

truss.jpg

Archived