Custom one off hand painted guitar ideas?

u6crash

• Members

For a long time I've wanted to hand paint a guitar. I studied art in college and I'm trying to get back into it lately and create a portfolio. I picked up one of those Melody Maker's in white and I'd like to strip it and paint it and hopefully sell it as a playable piece of art. So I'm curious if you were to buy a custom one off hand painted guitar, what style/images would you consider? Here's some you may know and love (or hate):

The Fool SG:

15_fool_sg_closeup.jpg

Hendrix Psychedelic V:

JHendrixFlyingV.jpg

George Harrison's Rocky Strat:

George_harrison_rocky_strat.jpg

Hand painted acoustic from Etsy

guitar.jpg

Think something abstract or a pattern is the way to go? Or should I go with a picture of someting? If it were a Tele I'd really consider a meticulous paisley paint job. I know ultimately the decision is mine to make, but any opinions would be appreciated!

• Members

I'm not well-versed enough to tell you which artistic direction to go, but try to make it feel honest and original, if that makes any sense. Psychedelia, especially 40 years after it went out of style, strikes me as trite - everybody's done it, and you'll just be copying the copies. If you want it to be art, create something new.

• Members

Gibson was doing artsy guitars for a while. Snow flakes and stuff.

If I was a North American native, I'd want totems and such. Painted or carved. Any sort of detailed art would be cool. Mona Lisa's face on a Strat? Why not?

There's a limit though. Too cartoony and it starts to look stupid.

• Members

I've always liked gold leaf on black.. Some sort of sillhouette would be cool. Pick a topic you dig and have at it..

This, for example:

IMG_15591.JPGcrop.jpg

I don't care for the design, but the color scheme is killer..

or this, except on black instead of the marble..

00p1%20front%20horz%20angl.jpg

• Members

How bout a pic of Wile E. Coyote, with his hands around the Roadrunners neck, squeezing the life out of him with his eyeballs popping out?

No?

Too harsh?.................

not believable...roadrunner doesnt get caught:cop:

• Members

Painting guitars can run into problems being compatible with finish.

I've really been happy with waterslide decals printed off inkjet printers.

1.Find an image on the internet you like.

2. Make a waterslide decal using an inkjet printer.

3. Apply the decal to your guitar.

4. Finish over the decal to seal it in forever.

You get awesome detail....you don't have to be an artist. And the artwork is so thin it incorporates under the finish. Doesn't kill tone on acoustics etc....

Archived