Good Source for Tubes?

Woody_in_MN

• Members

I've bought tubes from thetubestore, eurotubes (pretty much just JJ tubes), and doug's tubes. All were smooth transactions with no issues. Bob at eurotubes was very helpful in suggesting tube hardness and other things when I phoned him one time. He even suggested I get a non-JJ tube from another vendor for one application. I never called the other companies for tech issues, just orders, so I can't comment on their 'tech' service.

• Members

I buy new ones from the Tube Store; think Tube Depot is comparable. Tung-Sol, Electro-Harmonix, and Shuguang make good 12AX7s; check the comparisons on the Tube Store web site.

For vintage tubes, I've assembled a pretty good collection by hitting estate sales: old folks with vintage TVs, radios, and hi-fis often kept some around as spares or leftover spares. They're untested, so I never pay more than $5 or so for one, but they nearly always test fine on my tester. Just picked up a couple of 50s-era 6V6GTs at one yesterday for a buck apiece: a CBS/Hytron and a Raytheon, both of which tested fine and very well could be unused.

• Members

This site was just highly recommended in another thread yesterday - so I bookmarked it.

yep, doug is a great vendor. Will suggest tubes if you ask for his opinion . Very helpful if you are looking to tweak a particular amp just a little by tube selection. Also, sends picks with tube orders, and free picks are always a good thing.

Not to mention his prices are almost always better than other vendors.

• Members

My very first order from Doug's Tubes, I ordered 3 preamp tube and 2 power tubes. One of the power tubes was bad. Doug blamed the shipper and I had to pay round trip shipping for a good set of power tubes. It never made sense to me that only 1 out of 5 tubes got damaged in shipping. I haven't ordered from them again because I don't think their customer service is very good. I think they sent me a bad tube, blamed the shipper, and charged me for the problem.

• Members

It's a VOX30vt so you only need one tube and it's practically the easiest one to find, a 12AX7.

Whatever brand you buy will be fine and won't make a significant tone difference. There are a few available at Musician's friend and only about $15.

Buy a couple, keep them in the original boxes, wrap them in foam and tape them inside the cabinet somewhere. I doubt you'll ever have to change one anyway.

• Members

I've used tubedepot.com - inexpensive shipping, and orders get to me in a couple of days. Never had a problem with quality from them.

If I'm doing a complete retube, eurotubes for jj's - Bob is very knowledgeable and responds to emails quickly with detailed information and assistance. Costs a little more to ship, but honestly, the customer service is worth it.

Also, not to hijack this thread, but... Has anyone found a difference in tube quality from one vendor to the next? i.e. Are Brand Whatever from tubedepot/tubesandmore/dougs all created equal?

• Members

It's a VOX30vt so you only need one tube and it's practically the easiest one to find, a 12AX7.

Whatever brand you buy will be fine and won't make a significant tone difference. There are a few available at Musician's friend and only about $15.

Buy a couple, keep them in the original boxes, wrap them in foam and tape them inside the cabinet somewhere. I doubt you'll ever have to change one anyway.

According to Vox, the tube in the Valvetronix amps should never wear out. They are a slightly different tube than a standard 12ax7. They have these funky flat wire mounts that go straight into a board rather than wires like normal tubes. It is also attached to the board with hot glue. I don't think there's any changing it.

EG

• Members

I've taken to buying from tubesandmore since they are also in AZ and although I have to pay state sales tax I usually get my tubes the second day after I order them. The order before that I ordered from Doug, but it took over a week to get here from NY. Not Doug's fault of course, but the things had been shaken all over the country and all 4 tubes were out of their boxes and rolling around in the packing. They all worked fine though. tubesandmore gets them here faster because they are only like 150 miles away.

• Members

According to Vox, the tube in the Valvetronix amps should never wear out. They are a slightly different tube than a standard 12ax7. They have these funky flat wire mounts that go straight into a board rather than wires like normal tubes. It is also attached to the board with hot glue. I don't think there's any changing it.

EG

Wow they must have changed things...I got this valvtronix adhead.jpg and the thing sports 2 tubes(one EH and one Chinese), both of which can be removed although a seriously huge bitch to do so. Changing the EH tube does change the charachter of the amp. I think that the EH tube is the best tube for this amp, but Bob at eurotubes says he has a special Balanced JJ that he reccomends.

But you are right. The tubes in these amps should last forever.

• Members
Wow they must have changed things...I got this valvtronix
adhead.jpg
and the thing sports 2 tubes(one EH and one Chinese), both of which can be removed although a seriously huge bitch to do so. Changing the EH tube does change the charachter of the amp. I think that the EH tube is the best tube for this amp, but Bob at eurotubes says he has a special Balanced JJ that he reccomends.

But you are right. The tubes in these amps should last forever.

Yes, but tubes can be damaged from basic jarring and bouncing of an amp. Also, tubes can die well before they've worn out. So it isn't impossible to need to replace them.

• Members

EG

Ooops. Well glad I only ordered one.

- w

Archived