Using a laptop instead of an amp

scolfax

• Members

My brand new amp is in the shop, and I've been using a Line6 GX/PodFarm on my MacBook for practicing at home.

I can't believe how good it sounds! I've been toying with the idea of using it in other places. Of course I'd need some kind of powered speaker to make it work. Or maybe a really long cable to connect it to the PA.

Does anyone here use amp emulation on their laptop for performances?

• Members

they just might string ya up and slowly peel away all the skin from your body

them guys have spent too much time with their heads 6" from their double stack Kranks (or whatever highgain crap ass amp they have), which, of course, they have dimed.

Permanently scrambles the brain cells...

• Members

If your laptop has a line out (and not just a headphone out), you might be able to do what you want and get good sound. You could use the laptop in the same way you would insert a pedal between guitar and amp, kinda like a multi-effects unit. IMO, the biggest problem would be matching the output of the laptop to the input of the amp/powered speakers. Probably have better luck going into a PA.

I've run a desktop with line out into a really good audio system for years to play tunes off the harddrives. Sounded great. No noise at all. But in trying to do the same thing using the headphone out of my laptop, I had alot of noise and hum, so no-go on that.

• Members

It works well for this use, but occasionally has a USB issue that results in a kind of a crash sound... not often, but enough that it's not going to replace my amp full time.

I had that issue with a UX2 on a Windows XP machine years ago. Thankfully the GX on my Mac doesn't have that problem.

The GX has a "headphone/line output"... how can it be both?

• Members

I had that issue with a UX2 on a Windows XP machine years ago. Thankfully the GX on my Mac doesn't have that problem.

The GX has a "headphone/line output"... how can it be both?

It's a low-level output, that doubles for either application. It should work fine. iPods and other small digital music players do the same thing. They're designed to do this, so typically work just fine. But, because they are headphones out as well as line out, the volume setting of the outputting devise controls output, rather than the fixed level of a dedicated line out.

Best bet is to try it. Can't hurt a thing doing so.

• Members

One thing I've noticed, if I'm playing with my Line6 rig through the PA, and another guitarist is using an amp... it makes the difference in tone much more obvious.

If I'm the only guitar player... it's pretty acceptable tone wise... but compared to a "real amp"... it's a bit "thinner", nowhere near as "warm"... especially with clean sounds.

Many people in the audience wouldn't notice... in fact, I bet there are pro acts using digital sounds through the PA in order to get the "same sound" every night... but it's obvious to me.

YMMV!

M

• Members

One thing I've noticed, if I'm playing with my Line6 rig through the PA, and another guitarist is using an amp... it makes the difference in tone much more obvious.

If I'm the only guitar player... it's pretty acceptable tone wise... but compared to a "real amp"... it's a bit "thinner", nowhere near as "warm"... especially with clean sounds.

Many people in the audience wouldn't notice... in fact, I bet there are pro acts using digital sounds through the PA in order to get the "same sound" every night... but it's obvious to me.

YMMV!

M

Thanks, that's really interesting. Have you experimented with tweaking the EQ on that PA channel? Does that help at all?

• Members

Stupid MS Vista!!!

I was playing with my AMP FARM / UX2 to a bt being played in Audacity...

Suddenly with no warning.

BLUE SCREEN.

:eek:

I would NOT want that to happen in a live setting.

My problem, I don't even know why it happened.

I've done this hundreds of times before with no issue?

Yes. I know. Get a Mac...

Sorry, can't do that right now.

M

Archived