Crappy GHS Guitar Strings? I Need Input On This.

Roger1969

• Members

I have played guitar for 32 years, nine of those in a working band and I have never experienced this sort of problem. I purchased 2 sets of GHS Boomers .09-.42 and put them on my Gibson Les Paul Studio and on my Gibson SG. Immediately after getting both in perfect tune I noticed a weird springy sound coming from the B-string on the SG. I searched the whole guitar and went over it with a fine-tooth comb but to no avail. Then I decided to grab a spare Ernie Ball from my tool box and change it. Surprise, IT WAS FINE! Next I grab my Les Paul and begin to pick. All's fine until I began playing riffs at fret 13-15, and that's where I got a severe buzz from the G and B strings. In all the time that I've owned this guitar I have NEVER had one problem out of it, EVER! It's been strung with Ernie Ball, D'Adarrio, GHS and Dean Markley of all sizes. So much like my SG, I changed the G and B and PRESTO, IT FIXED IT!!! Is it possible that this whole batch of GHS Boomers was bad? I've changed hundreds of strings in my time and I've never had anything like this happen. If it was a cheap guitar I would've blamed it on the guitar, but these are two flawless instruments. I will say this: Of the 3 strings, the B string on SG immediately curled up like a spring when removed, but the others seemed fine.

• Members

My Strat is in my lap right now strung with gauge 10 Boomers and they're totally fine.

I'm not surprised. My Strings used over the years have been 55% GHS 40% Ernie Ball and 5% other brands and this is the first time I've had any problems. It's obviously a {censored}ty batch, but I just had to get these. They were packaged in the new air-tight package much like EB's are. They just arrived at the store 2 days ago and I talked the guy into grabbing me 2 packs from the stock room because I wanted the freshest strings possible.

• Members

I have the exact same problem, when I re-stringed my Pacifica 112v yesterday with EB super slinkies :confused: 13-15 frets buzz like hell, and there is a small rattling noise on the G string when picked open, seems to come from the bridge, but not sure...

• Members

News alert all strings are made by the same company. We have been had. and don't feed the troll.

Someone always brings this up.

Guess what? Hershey bars, Cadbury bars, 5th avenue, Heath, Almond Joy, Kit Kat, and about a bajillion other candy bars are also made by the same company in the same factory. Does that mean that my Cadbury and Hershey are going to taste identical?

YES, There are only like 2 factories in the U.S. making strings. However, each line STILL USES different recipes, specs, and equipment. Same as cars, candy bars, and everything else manufactured in the U.S.

• Members

IMO

GHS boomers - used to use them all the time and after about 2-3 weeks I just couldn't keep them in tune.

Ernie Ball Super Slinky - put them on and within a week they sound dead. the lose their bright luster very quickly.

D'addarios - the 10's feel like piano wire but they stay in tune and keepo their tone. 9's don't quite cut through but they work.

Elixir - consistent but dark sounding due to coating - and damn expensive.

Web Strings - average to below average

Trying the new Dimebag strings next.

• Members

Didn't like when I got boomers, I like D'Addario's better.

I just tried the D'Adarrio's for the first time 2 months ago and thought they were really good. Definitely a good substitute if my type are out.

And hell, don't worry about your gear. If not for extremely good fortune on my job, I wouldn't have been able to finally get the Les Paul and SG new. I always bought and played used stuff for over 25 years, some good and some just decent and MANY UGLY ONES, especially in the 80's.:facepalm:

• Members

I have the exact same problem, when I re-stringed my Pacifica 112v yesterday with EB super slinkies
:confused:
13-15 frets buzz like hell, and there is a small rattling noise on the G string when picked open, seems to come from the bridge, but not sure...

I'm convinced that mine were just bad strings. Let me know if you resolve your issues, I'd be interested in knowing what was wrong.

• Members

I never use GHS strings on anything. I'd pretty brand-loyal when it comes to strings, though.

Maybe its because im a novice guitar player, but to me, GHS strings make it easier to play the guitar. The high strings are really easy to bend and the low string are really smooth and easy to slide around on. I like them alot.

Although, a friend of mine reccamend I try DR Strings as oppossed to GHS, so when I change me strings (later today actually - change 'em every friday after school) imma slap some DR's on there and see if it works better for me.

Strings are dirt cheap.

• Members

News alert all strings are made by the same company. We have been had. and don't feed the troll.

That's not true.

Normally, because it's easy, I use Ernie Balls. But, when I'm ordering strings I really like D`Aquisto. They can be had through http://www.juststrings.com/

From D'Aquisto's website:

D'Aquisto Strings are manufactured in our own factory by our own machines. What does this mean? It means that we not only wind our own strings, we also build the machinery on which the strings are wound. Our machinery is fully automated and state-of-the-art so that each string is made exactly the same every time.

D'Aquisto is not just another private label brand. What is a private label brand? Many of the brand names that you may see in music stores today are actually made by other companies and packaged under various brand names. Not only do these companies not make their own strings, but they may actually use many different suppliers at any given time. This in itself may not be bad, but a company selling a private label brand will have very little knowledge of the manufacturing process and no direct control over quality. Another problem is that the string set that you get may be slightly different each time. And, as you can imagine, it is also very difficult for such a company to research and develop new products. At D'Aquisto we are constantly trying new ideas to improve string quality and evolve our products and machinery to the cutting edge of technology. A good example of this is our revolutionary new TaperLock Series Bass Strings featured on the front of this brochure. Such a high-tech string would have been impossible to develop without our own factory.

Archived