Tell Me About Your Dimarzio Pickups!

jrockbridge

• Members

This guitar came with DiMarzio Air Norton/neck & Tone Zone/bridge - both with coil splits. The Air Norton sounds surprisingly good in single coil mode and I use it like that a lot. I mainly use the bridge pickup for high gain leads and the Tone Zone totally rocks! It's warm and creamy with tons of sustain - a fantastic pickup, at least in this guitar:

goldtopTele.jpg

• Members

Love Dimarzio pickups. I have 4 electrics at the moment and they all have Dimarzio pickups in them.

My Godin G-Series has been modded to have 3 humbuckers in it. Tonezone in the bridge, Air Norton in the middle and Humbucker From Hell in the neck. One push-pull to split the Tonezone and Air Norton and another for a neck on switch for the H-F-H. There isn't a sound I want that I can't get from this guitar.

Godin Freeway Classic has a Paf Pro in the Bridge and Humbucker From Hell in the neck with a push-pull to split both. The Paf Pro is a great all around pickup that covers many sounds and the H-F-H is hands down my favorite neck humbucker that has ever been made.

Squier CV 50's has a Tonezone-S in the bridge and a Virtual Blues in the middle. The Tonezone-S is the single coil sized humbucker I have had the most luck with for finding something that has the bottom that I want out of a bridge pickup. The Virtual Blues still has good single coil sounds without the buzz and a little more power.

Last up is my Butterscotch Affinity Tele. This one I loaded with the Area-T pickups in the neck and bridge. Then routed it to put a Area 61 in the middle. These Area pickups are amazing. If you are looking for the single coil sounds without the buzz these are the way to go. Sound great clean or with dirt. I would not hesitate to use these pickups again.

These are some of the ones I have settled on after much experimenting.

• Members

Love Dimarzio pickups. I have 4 electrics at the moment and they all have Dimarzio pickups in them.

My Godin G-Series has been modded to have 3 humbuckers in it. Tonezone in the bridge, Air Norton in the middle and Humbucker From Hell in the neck. One push-pull to split the Tonezone and Air Norton and another for a neck on switch for the H-F-H. There isn't a sound I want that I can't get from this guitar.

Godin Freeway Classic has a Paf Pro in the Bridge and Humbucker From Hell in the neck with a push-pull to split both. The Paf Pro is a great all around pickup that covers many sounds and the H-F-H is hands down my favorite neck humbucker that has ever been made.

Squier CV 50's has a Tonezone-S in the bridge and a Virtual Blues in the middle. The Tonezone-S is the single coil sized humbucker I have had the most luck with for finding something that has the bottom that I want out of a bridge pickup. The Virtual Blues still has good single coil sounds without the buzz and a little more power.

Last up is my Butterscotch Affinity Tele. This one I loaded with the Area-T pickups in the neck and bridge. Then routed it to put a Area 61 in the middle. These Area pickups are amazing. If you are looking for the single coil sounds without the buzz these are the way to go. Sound great clean or with dirt. I would not hesitate to use these pickups again.

These are some of the ones I have settled on after much experimenting.

Does the humbucker from hell sound like a single coil? Is it really bright and percussive. Can it sound smooth? What kind of amp/style of music you play?

I have always been interested in the thing but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a humbucker that is made to sound like a single coil. I want it to sound like a neck humbucker but with clarity and that tubular sound.

• Members

Had an FS-1 in various guitars including a Dano type - great as a hot strat pickup in the bridge. It was removed from the Dano when I retired that guitar and it came out of a strat when I bought a matched set of pickups and wanted to enjoy the matched aspect of them.

Dimarzio iBZ bridge humbucker (I have the set, currently for sale, though I might swap them round). It's a good bridge PU with warm and smoothness and paired well with lower output single coils - even got nicely quacky on the in between positions.

rednorange.jpg

Dimarzio mini hums in a JJ goldtop. There's a hint of P90 mixed in with a vintage humbucker tone, along with a slightly sharper edge at the bridge and a big, slightly dark tone at the neck. It's a nice toneful pickup and splits really well for a very useful single coil tone.

JJGoldtop01.jpg

• Members

Does the humbucker from hell sound like a single coil? Is it really bright and percussive. Can it sound smooth? What kind of amp/style of music you play?

I have always been interested in the thing but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a humbucker that is made to sound like a single coil. I want it to sound like a neck humbucker but with clarity and that tubular sound.

My amp setup is two 15 watt Laney tube amps one of which is hooked up to a 2-12 Celestion cab running stereo. The amps are set to a slightly overdriven setting and I use a few pedals to boast the core sound when needed or use my volume control on my guitars. I like playing a lot of styles of music, but enjoy playing funky blues, jazzy blues, rock and grunge the most.

No it doesn't sound like a true single coil. In the neck it cuts through well and never sounds muddy, but not overly bright. It is very percussive. Has a bit of the snap of a single-coil, but a little more of the thickness of a humbucker. It sounds great if you play more full bar chords like minor 7th, 9th and 7th. The notes come out very defined and not all blured together like many other neck buckers. Yes it can sound smooth if you roll back the tone pot a bit. You could also use a 250 pot with it instead of a 500 if you wanted less highs. It is also a lead pickup. It has a very vocal like quality to it. Almost a singing sound.

• Members

My amp setup is two 15 watt Laney tube amps one of which is hooked up to a 2-12 Celestion cab running stereo. The amps are set to a slightly overdriven setting and I use a few pedals to boast the core sound when needed or use my volume control on my guitars. I like playing a lot of styles of music, but enjoy playing funky blues, jazzy blues, rock and grunge the most.

No it doesn't sound like a true single coil. In the neck it cuts through well and never sounds muddy, but not overly bright. It is very percussive. Has a bit of the snap of a single-coil, but a little more of the thickness of a humbucker. It sounds great if you play more full bar chords like minor 7th, 9th and 7th. The notes come out very defined and not all blured together like many other neck buckers. Yes it can sound smooth if you roll back the tone pot a bit. You could also use a 250 pot with it instead of a 500 if you wanted less highs. It is also a lead pickup. It has a very vocal like quality to it. Almost a singing sound.

Thanks.

• Members

I have a 2007 Korean made Firebird Studio

100_1532.jpg

100_1529.jpg

It contains a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck and a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge. It is currently in the shop for push-pull pots to split the pickups.

This guitar has a fat, deep sound that cuts through the mix. The Tone Zone matches the all around feel of the body. I mean it is pronounced!

My bass player thinks this is the only guitar I need ever use. He swears it stands out and gives the backend a needed thrust.

I still love My LP and SG's, so I can't do just the Firebird all the time.

CriscoJune122009.jpg

One hot afternoon at Whitten Center 2009

• Members

newstrat101.jpg

Virtual Vintage all around in this 60th Anniversary MIM. Sounds like a Strat! Really low noise and IMO it's just a hair sterile sounding. I dunno what flavor VV's they are (guy I got the guitar from thinks it's a '54 in the neck but wasn't sure). the quack positions are good, neck alone could have a little more mojo (as in IDK what but something's not 100% right).

• Members

I just brought home a guitar with a Dimarzio YJM in the neck, an HS3 in the middle and a Duncan Quarter Pounder in the bridge. I'll likely switch them around and probably put a Cruiser or a Chopper in the bridge with the Dimarzios for one guitar, and get another Quarter Pounder for the neck to go with the other one in another guitar.

They seem pretty quiet, but I'll hold judgement on what I think about them until I have more than an hour play time with them.

• Members

My AES820 has DiMarzios in it, coil split with 500k pots. I couldn't tell you what model they are, as apparently they were made specifically for this guitar. They have a decent output- not too loud, so I can actually get some dynamics out of them, and a good tonal balance between low/mid/high. With the coil split engaged they do a fair impression of Tele single coils. Overall, I find them to be versatile and good-sounding.

• Members

On Frankenstrat : SD-s bridge, Pro-track middle, Fender vinage sc (from '62 strat) on neck

On SG : Dual-sound (or SD if you like, it's the same pickup) bridge, Fred in the neck (that's why i call this guitar Fredneck :)

What to say? Imo, SD (both variants) is THE best replacement bridge pickup ever, and Fred sings in the neck position. Pro-track acts amazingly Fender-like on the strat, especially alone or in the 4th position

I love dimarzios because of their clarity and tone definition, they're hot but not muddy. Actually, i never heard bad sounding dimarzio

Archived