Tell Me About Your Dimarzio Pickups!

jrockbridge

• Members

Dimarzio fred in my kramer pacer.

Very clear pickup. Balanced tone slightly scooped/moderate output. Nice highs. Someome single coil qualities.

for the record it does not balance well output-wise with the original neck schaller in the guitar. The schaller has much more output.

• Members

i have two guitars with Dimarzio pickups, a PRS Custom 24 and Ibanez RG.

the PRS has a set of Virtual PAFs. i was looking for a clear sound that also runs well in parallel. they deliver and handle distortion really well.

the Ibanez has the VPAF in the neck and an Air Norton in the bridge. i wanted the same sound as the PRS, but the bridge position needed a little more because of the basswood body and floyd. the Air Norton provides the right amount of chunk to compensate and isn't hot at all.

• Members

0923091513.jpg

dimarzio super distortion in my x1000 (neck thru shredder type). VERY bright pickup, but thats what I was looking for. Also really high output compared the the singles. Splits pretty nicely too. Works very well with my marshall for a bright crunchy tone with no mud whatsoever.

• Members

I'm another X2N user. I have one in the bridge of an ibanez roadster II guitar. It is super hot, but as T ned said, it cleans up nicely. I have it wired for series/parallel switching, and it does a nice lower output in this layout as well (wired to a mini toggle). I also have the coils split, and it does a pretty good imitation of a single coil pickup in this configuration.

• Members

Ive got a ToneZone in the bridge of my Jackson DR3.

I dont like it much to be honest, its just ..average. Reminds me a bit of a Duncan design jobbie. Its sort of fuzzy and indistinct.

It was in there when I bought it, and Im not that struck on the guitar...I much prefer my Charvels.

dr3.jpg

:thu:

• Members

A few months ago I put a Cruiser in the neck and ProTrack in the bridge of my '57 reissue strat. I love them, especially the Cruiser. It's beefy, yet still has some bite and clarity. I wanted a quiter, beefier pickup than the 57's stock SCs and it really delivered without being "too much." The ProTrack really excels with overdrive - great for searing leads. The clip below was pretty soon after I put them in, and the height needed adjusting (I moved them both lower). The ProTrack definitely sounds better to me a little lower than I had it here:

s0kWlJjFKJU

Paid $63 each for them new on ebay - no complains whatsoever.

• Members

I have a Super Distortion 2 in an Epi LP Special and I had it in the bridge position of a strat for a while. Not quite my thing, but I like having a hotter pickup around for... uh... when I want a hotter pickup. I'll probably pull it as I think I'm going to give that guitar away as a gift to a kid.

I have a Tone Zone I've had in three guitars now. Pretty neat pickup. Definitely has lots of bottom end. It splits pretty well, but I find that usually hotter pickups do tend to sound better when split. It has more bottom end than most HBs and it's certainly not overly bright, but it is what it is. Probably the best Dimarzio pickup for chugga rhythms and soaring, high gain leads. Pretty similar to the Nortons in terms of tonal balance.

Buddy of mine has two guitars with Dimarzios... One has the Tone Zone in the bridge and a Norton (or maybe an Air Norton) in the neck. Pretty versatile guitar. It can literally go from the heaviest of metal tones to pretty darn believable country tones when split. And he has another that has the Fred in the bridge and either a PAF Pro or a PAF Joe in the neck. Again, very impressive guitar. It's a hair on the bright side for many HB users, but as mostly a single coil guy, I prefer that one. In fact, those guitars sound so good, I'm about 95% sure I'll put a a Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck of my newest Ibanez.

• Members

I have a pari in my Aria Pro II RS X80:

AriaProIIRSX80.jpg

Paf Pro (neck): Balanced tone. Nice highs & nice low end, but lacks warmth IMO. Splits nicely.

I wouldn't have it fitted again but I'm not gonna change it either.

XN2 (bridge): Very hot. I like that one very much. Does dirt without too much treble/highs, very tight, and can clean up nicely. If set close to the strings, it will distort when clean. I like that way......

Does very nice high gain, really tight.

I just don't play that guitar all that much, I'm more of a neck pick up person and play my les paul more. Very good guitar though.

• Members

The only guitar I have with a Dimarzio pickup is my US Masters LeGrand Floyd. I bought it used, and it had an aftermarket Kent Armstrong pickup in it, which really didn't do the guitar justice at all.

I replaced it with a Tone Zone and now I LOVE the sound of the guitar.

Instead of describing the sound, I'll post a song I recorded with it instead. I did this for Coverfest a few months back. All the guitars are the US Masters. The OD tones are the Dimarzio. The funky clean tones are the stock single coils. Guitar is run straight to my Peavey Classic 30 with a Celestion G12H30 speaker, mic'd with an SM57.

Paralyzer

I've got another song recorded with it, but it's for this month's Coverfest, which hasn't been revealed yet.

It still has the Kent Armstrong in this pic though.

BodyFront.jpg

• Members

I like Dimarzio's stuff. I don't know why they get a bad rap. I believe a lower output pup will get you the most tone. I play mostly clean these days as well. When I do play with distortion I prefer an 80's type of metal tone. It's much cleaner than what is available these days.

Dimarzio Air Classic in a Warmoth Alder tele - Beautiful pups' with a nice PAF tone. Very articulate btw, but not as articulate as my BG Puffs.

Dimarzio Air Norton at the Bridge and Virtual PAF at the neck on a Brian Moore korean LP shaped guitar. I forgot the model number. The VPAF gets that great Jimmy Page lead sound. The Air Norton is a bit more modern sounding without being a "metal" pickup. Its bold and clear. It's a great lead pup.

Dimarzio VPAF at the neck and an Airzone at the bridge - Washburn I45 - The Airzone is PAF'ish pickup. It may be to hot for me. It has great bottom end. A nice lead pup and great classic crunch.

Dimarzio Blue Velvets - Warmoth swamp ash strat - Great, great single coil tones. Beautiful pups that chime, quack and grind. This are not made anymore.

I just ordered a set of True Velvet single coils for my MIA strat. I will report back once they are installed.

This is the Warmoth Tele. I need to take pics of the rest.

zznew187.jpg

• Members

This is now raine36's guitar...

epilp.jpg

...when it was mine I had DiMarzio DP103/223 36th Anniversary PAFs installed. They sound great, but I needed the cash and prefer Strats anyway...so now it's raine36's...may he enjoy it!

Here's Paul Riario demoing the pickups in a Gibson:

[YOUTUBE]tgbgUMqUMns[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Paid $63 each for them new on ebay - no complains whatsoever.

This is you?? Great playing - really funky and soulful!

I was going to post this clip for some guy over at the gear page yesterday. He was looking for examples of Dimarzio stacked hummer's.

I much prefer the sounds of the Cruiser. It sounds great clean and dirty. I love pups like that.

• Members

Dimarzio's I've owned:

Fred (bridge) - bright and very clear humbucker, insane harmonic response. Light bass response. This pickup might be percieved as thin sounding but I like it - very cutting.

X2N-7 (bridge) - ridiculously hot seven-string humbucker. Harmonics fly out of this thing. You definitely need to back down on your amps gain with this one. Great pickup though IMO.

Breed (bridge) - Fat and hot humbucker. Great pickup

Chopper (neck) - great for soloing, matches well with hot bridge humbuckers

Chopper T (bridge) - SC-sized humbucker alternative for tele. Somewhat hot and bright. Good pickup but I'd opt for the Tone Zone T if I was doing it over (for fatter tone). Folks who want the benefits and base sound of a humbucker mixed with the bright tele sc sound will like this.

Tone Zone S (bridge) - Fat and powerful, but not too hot. This is my favorite of all SC-sized humbuckers.

Twang King (neck) - best sounding true single coil tele neck pickup I've used. Creamy and clear; no mud. Fantastic clean and driven tones.

ST300 single coil (based on Dimarzio Brian May middle and neck) amazing sounding pickups with a lot of output and sparkle. Note: they do not hum cancel when combined.

:thu:

Archived