Replacement P'ups for Artcore AF-75/Mexican Tele

Glenn F

• Members

Hi there,

Just want to improve the sounds of two of my lower end guitars. I put Texas Specials in my MIM Strat this year, and was very impressed by the difference from the stock p'ups.

For the Tele, I am also thinking Texas Specials, but want a vintage twang. Dunno if the TSs will give me that;

For the Artcore AF-75 hollowbody, I am thinking Gibson Classic '57s, but they are a bit pricey. With installation, the mod will cost almost as much as the guitar.

Open to suggestions! :wave:

Thanks,

Glenn

• Members

For a cheap alternative for the AF-75, I put GFS Dream 180s in mine. They suited that guitar very well. They kept the same general character as the stock pickups, only they sounded more "alive" if that makes any sense.

I think PAFs or PAF clones, would also sound good in that guitar. It just depends on the sound you are going for.

Rockfield SWVs are a good PAF clone, likely to be cheaper than the Gibsons. I have them in my DOT, and they are a huge improvement over the stock Epi pickups.

• Members

I really like 57 Classics and Seth Lovers. You'll rarely go wrong with those.

At a lower price point, I like the GFS Alnico IIs.

For the Tele... I haven't done much tele pickup swapping, but I'd avoid the Texas Specials for vintage twang. My favorite tele pickups ever are the GFS Fatbody neck and the Fender Nocaster bridge. Those two pickups with a 4 way switch... I'd think that would be a pretty damn sweet sounding tele.

• Members

Sure... my #1 HB guitar (and probably #2 guitar overall) is a 1998-ish Korean Ibanez AX120 rthat I paid $60 for. The guitar itself felt great and I bonded almost instantly. I like it more than my Parker P42, more than my 80s Ibanez guitars, more than most LTDs I've owned... It's just a great guitar.

I replaced the pickups with Gibson 57 Classics, replaced the complete wiring harness with a nice harness out of an Edwards, Fender type saddles, Grover locking tuners, new nut, new knobs... I probably have $280 in it and almost everything was bought used (other than the nut and the knobs) and I've rarely played a guitar I enjoy as much for anything close to that price. But... I had completely bonded with the guitar before the upgrades. If you aren't sure on the guitar itself, then I wait it out for a while.

DSC_2600a1crop.jpg

• Members
Hi there,

Just want to improve the sounds of two of my lower end guitars. I put Texas Specials in my MIM Strat this year, and was very impressed by the difference from the stock p'ups.

For the Tele, I am also thinking Texas Specials, but want a vintage twang. Dunno if the TSs will give me that;

For the Artcore AF-75 hollowbody, I am thinking Gibson Classic '57s, but they are a bit pricey. With installation, the mod will cost almost as much as the guitar.

Open to suggestions!
:wave:

Thanks,

Glenn

For the Artcore, BG Pure 90s and install them yourself. BG offers a forum member discount.
Yes, it will be a pain in the butt but you can do it with a bit of patience.
:thu:

• Members

Hi,

Again, thanks for everyone's input. As I live in Germany, it would be a bit of a hassle getting something from the US (import/VAT charges), as well as paying. We do not use credit cards or Paypal, and the banking system here works somewhat differently than it does in the US/Canada. Transferring funds within the E.U. is cheap, but transferring outside the E.U. isn't.

I am thinking about Seymour Duncan Phat Cat Humbucker-sized P90s. I have nowhere enough experience to install these myself, so my luthier will do it.

As for the Tele, I still have to make up my mind. I'll be able to manage installing new p'ups on this guitar, though.

Thanks, and cheers!

Glenn

• Members
Hi,

Again, thanks for everyone's input. As I live in Germany, it would be a bit of a hassle getting something from the US (import/VAT charges), as well as paying. We do not use credit cards or Paypal, and the banking system here works somewhat differently than it does in the US/Canada. Transferring funds within the E.U. is cheap, but transferring outside the E.U. isn't.

I am thinking about Seymour Duncan Phat Cat Humbucker-sized P90s. I have nowhere enough experience to install these myself, so my luthier will do it.

As for the Tele, I still have to make up my mind. I'll be able to manage installing new p'ups on this guitar, though.

Thanks, and cheers!

Glenn

Cool.:rawk:

Duncan makes some nice Tele pups as well so you might consider going all Duncan.

Archived