How do you make a Strat sound like a Les Paul?

surfcat

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

#1 Unless I were trying to replicate some artist playing dead clean on his strat's bridge Single Coil... _I, personally_, can't think of one good reason why I would want a single coil in the bridge of my strat when I could have a humbucker. I think they are worthless. :) That is just one man's opinion, so get over it (anyone who needs to)! :)

I've got a Duncan Custom Custom humbucker TB-11 (alnico magnet) in my strat with a maple fretboard because the Duncan Custom TB-5 is too bright with its ceramic magnet.
The TB-5 was great for metal rhythm, as long as you don't try to play lead with it on a guitar with a maple fretboard (much like sticking an ice-pick in your ear)!

I also have my tone control wired to the bridge pickup.

• Members

How do noobs find these old threads and why do they bump them?

Anyway, I have two Strats and a Les Paul among other things. One Strat has SCN pickups and S1 switching. It does get a pretty convincing humbucker tone with the switch down. The other Strat is the mahogany special with the bridge humbucker and S1 switching. It also gets a pretty good humbucker tone with the HB pickup and some S1 combinations. The special with the humbucker comes kind of close to Gibson growl under medium - high gain power chord stuff, but neither has all the components that make up the LP sound.

• Members

A decent Telecaster can almost pull off a Paul sound with the 2 pickups together...think of what Jimmy Page did with one and youll know what I mean,,a Strat aint gonna sound anything like a Gibson period!Even with a Gibson bucker in the bridge it isnt gonna happen!

• Members

what did you have?

At lunch time I've been murdering sandwiches filled with antipasto misto cold meat and red pepper. I picked up this habit after watching 'The Godfather' and 'Goodfellas' for the first time a few months back. I've also started saying 'fock' instead of 'feck', which confuses my relatives something rotten - they are always bursting my bollocks over it.

• Members
I've got a mint condition Squier (boo! hiss! say the purists). Anyway, I'm a beginner but the goal is too play blues music. I must say just from checking out youtube, I prefer the blues played on a Les Paul or a Les Paul style guitar. It's a nicer warmer crunchier tone and more sustain.

I can't afford a new guitar and don't really want to dump the old one so I need to modify it. First thing is I hate the hum from my guitar, I practice at home at low volumes and the hum is louder than the playing - argghh!. Secondly, is too high pitched and quacky a bit like Celine Dion and it doesn't sound nice to my ears.

Anyway, as I'm keeping the guitar and don't want to cut and rerout the body. I'll probably swap out all the pickups for fatter sounding ones. I'll probably go for some single coil sized humbuckers.

Can anyone let me know the names and models of some single coil sized, hum cancelling, fat/warm tone pickups to get me closer to that Les Paul warm sound?

Dimarzio Vintage Blues 2. Or one of them

• Members
Given that you're a n00b, we'll forgive you for not reading the first reply on page one...
:thu:

Thanks for your forgiveness, man, it makes my day. As long as the thread has gone it was worth repeating. I will tell you that it's not going to happen and sound authentic. The entire premise is silly. How about making a thicker STRAT tone w/a humbucker in the bridge and more sustain w/more gain?

Archived