How do you make a Strat sound like a Les Paul?

surfcat

• Members

I've heard it done with a rack full of effects and the Los Lonely Boys guitar player says he can do it in the new GP. I agree that a Les Paul can't sound like a Strat, but I know a Strat can sound like a Les Paul. Now just tell me how to do it. Please?

Oh, and without a huge rack full of equipment.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by mueller

mid boost

that or sell it and buy a les paul

I have both-it would be really cool to be able to get both sounds out of one guitar at a gig. The guy I mentioned just stepped on a pedal or whatever controller he had for his rack and went from one to another-I had my LP and his sound was really on.

Do you mean an eq?

Are there any pedals that do a convincing job?

• Members
Originally posted by leopardstar

i'm thinking your gonna have to put a humbucker in there somewhere, no?

I'd suggest putting a JB Jr or lil 59 from Seymour Duncan in the bridge. The price of the pickup installed is only a few bucks more than a decent boost pedal.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I've got a mint condition Squier (boo! hiss! say the purists). Anyway, I'm a beginner but the goal is too play blues music. I must say just from checking out youtube, I prefer the blues played on a Les Paul or a Les Paul style guitar. It's a nicer warmer crunchier tone and more sustain.

I can't afford a new guitar and don't really want to dump the old one so I need to modify it. First thing is I hate the hum from my guitar, I practice at home at low volumes and the hum is louder than the playing - argghh!. Secondly, is too high pitched and quacky a bit like Celine Dion and it doesn't sound nice to my ears.

Anyway, as I'm keeping the guitar and don't want to cut and rerout the body. I'll probably swap out all the pickups for fatter sounding ones. I'll probably go for some single coil sized humbuckers.

Can anyone let me know the names and models of some single coil sized, hum cancelling, fat/warm tone pickups to get me closer to that Les Paul warm sound?

• Members

I've got a mint condition Squier (boo! hiss! say the purists). Anyway, I'm a beginner but the goal is too play blues music. I must say just from checking out youtube, I prefer the blues played on a Les Paul or a Les Paul style guitar. It's a nicer warmer crunchier tone and more sustain.

I can't afford a new guitar and don't really want to dump the old one so I need to modify it. First thing is I hate the hum from my guitar, I practice at home at low volumes and the hum is louder than the playing - argghh!. Secondly, is too high pitched and quacky a bit like Celine Dion and it doesn't sound nice to my ears.

Anyway, as I'm keeping the guitar and don't want to cut and rerout the body. I'll probably swap out all the pickups for fatter sounding ones. I'll probably go for some single coil sized humbuckers.

Can anyone let me know the names and models of some single coil sized, hum cancelling, fat/warm tone pickups to get me closer to that Les Paul warm sound?

Before you start carving up your Squier or buying new pickups I would recommend that you try two things (if you haven't already) that won't cost you anything: 1. Adjust the angle of your amplifier in relation to where you sit or stand when playing. Some angles will produce noticably less hum from the amplifier. 2. Become friends with your volume and tone controls. You can do a lot with just manipulating the controls on the guitar after you get the amp set for the sound you like.

Archived