BBE Sonic Stomp is it worth it?

burton4snow

• Members

It makes a good paperweight.

Seriously, it's more of a band-aid for noobs than anything. It may make your guitar sound polished and cool in the bedroom but in a live setting you end up with no mids and an icy harshness in the high end so it's hard for the audience to make out what you're playing over the rest of the band except for an unpleasant sharp high end.

• Members

I think I'm going to go with an EQ probably the Fish 'n' Chips. I'm looking for something to get some more tones out of a Blackheart Killer Ant which just has a volume knob. I looked into modding it but the sound is very cool as is and I don't know if I want to f*ck wid dat.

• Members

I could not disagree with Jesse G any more, as my experience with these is the exact opposite.

I find on your own it makes things a bit brighter, thats about it. But LIVE it turns your amp into CUT city.

Of course if you dont dial it in correctly in conjuction with your amp Ive heard some used with terrible results as well.

But heres a personal anecdote of mine about this pedal:

I was playing a packed little club a while back and the bands current producer at the time was in attendance. Somewhere about mid set my singer kicked something in the power section on my pedal board. Being in a really small cramped setting without a lot of light, I simply plugged right into my amp and kept on rocking. After our gig the producer asked me why the hell I cut out my mids in the middle of the set. He was sitting in the back by the bar, and didnt have a great view of the stage. I quickly figured he was reffering to the loss of the sonicstomp, as its the only constant processor in my rig.

Long story short, I would rather gig without a tuner than my BBE.

• Members

Definitely not.It took the tone away from a really nice amp. Would not buy again.Its definitely not an eq. Don't know what^ hes taliking about.

HE didnt say it was a eq pedal. HE said it did what the box said it would do. HE said a eq will do the job as well.

• Members

I could not disagree with Jesse G any more, as my experience with these is the exact opposite.

I find on your own it makes things a bit brighter, thats about it. But LIVE it turns your amp into CUT city.

Of course if you dont dial it in correctly in conjuction with your amp Ive heard some used with terrible results as well.

But heres a personal anecdote of mine about this pedal:

I was playing a packed little club a while back and the bands current producer at the time was in attendance. Somewhere about mid set my singer kicked something in the power section on my pedal board. Being in a really small cramped setting without a lot of light, I simply plugged right into my amp and kept on rocking. After our gig the producer asked me why the hell I cut out my mids in the middle of the set. He was sitting in the back by the bar, and didnt have a great view of the stage. I quickly figured he was reffering to the loss of the sonicstomp, as its the only constant processor in my rig.

Long story short, I would rather gig without a tuner than my BBE.

just curious what amp you were using.

• Members

Reveiws say its like lifting the blanket off your amp. I have some dark sounding amps and I'm curious if this pedal will liven them up.

Has anyone had any good results with this pedal?

Its more like a blanket on your amp.

Lifting it off the blanket is what happens when you sell the sonic maximizer later.

Seriously. The thing is useless until you're driving your speakers hard. And all the eq knob does is scoop your mids. And theres a 99% chance you arent playing greenbacks or another low wattage speaker, and the sonic stomp wont do its job.

Thats because what it is SUPPOSED to do is correct the phasing of the speakers that goes wonky when they're driven really hard. Great idea 40 years ago when you couldnt find speakers bigger than 25 - 40 watts. But if you're playing a 4x12 of v30's or g12t-75's, you'll NEVER get your amp near 240 watts to hit those v30's hard enough to warrant the use of a sonic maximizer. So yeah. my 2 cents.

• Members

Reveiws say its like lifting the blanket off your amp. I have some dark sounding amps and I'm curious if this pedal will liven them up.

I'm pretty sure if you are thinking about resorting to a pedal like this you just bought the wrong amp/speakers in the first place.

• Members

Yup - mine is on the pedal board and on all the time. I can definitely hear the difference although its a very subtle one. Just sounds "better" to me. I have both my dials at around the 12 oclock position.

I think a lot of people here probably havent even used one... I have many amps, and many speaker cabs (7 amps and about 5 or 6 cabs with various speakers). It doesnt matter what you use it on, it just sounds better.

YMMV - but dont say its for noobs in the bedroom, thats just ignorant. Its an effect - and there are many I like and many I dont, I dont feel the need to call the ones I dont like pieces of shit, because a lot of guys probably do liek them.

If you like it, fine, if not, dont buy the fucker.:thu:

AJC

• Members

Its more like a blanket on your amp.

Lifting it off the blanket is what happens when you sell the sonic maximizer later.

Seriously. The thing is useless until you're driving your speakers hard. And all the eq knob does is scoop your mids. And theres a 99% chance you arent playing greenbacks or another low wattage speaker, and the sonic stomp wont do its job.

Thats because what it is SUPPOSED to do is correct the phasing of the speakers that goes wonky when they're driven really hard. Great idea 40 years ago when you couldnt find speakers bigger than 25 - 40 watts. But if you're playing a 4x12 of v30's or g12t-75's, you'll NEVER get your amp near 240 watts to hit those v30's hard enough to warrant the use of a sonic maximizer. So yeah. my 2 cents.

nice theory, but it assumes phase cancelation only occurs during speaker distortion, which isnt true. Mind you, a speaker thats clipping and thus causing compression will be more likely to this, but its hardly the only way/place it happens.

you need to keep in mind this processor was actually not developed for live use, but for studio use. Not to mention it was favored by bassists far before guitarists.

• Members

Is this thing comparable to a Aphex Guitar XCiter?

If so it would make a good paper weight as a friend gave me one to try and I don't use it and prefer my F&C

not really, the aphex is based on harmonics, not phases. They are arguably working to the same end.

Yup - mine is on the pedal board and on all the time. I can definitely hear the difference although its a very subtle one. Just sounds "better" to me. I have both my dials at around the 12 oclock position.

I think a lot of people here probably havent even used one... I have many amps, and many speaker cabs (7 amps and about 5 or 6 cabs with various speakers). It doesnt matter what you use it on, it just sounds better.

YMMV - but dont say its for noobs in the bedroom, thats just ignorant. Its an effect - and there are many I like and many I dont, I dont feel the need to call the ones I dont like pieces of shit, because a lot of guys probably do liek them.

If you like it, fine, if not, dont buy the fucker.
:thu:

AJC

And I agree completely!:thu:

• Members

nice theory, but it assumes phase cancelation only occurs during speaker distortion, which isnt true. Mind you, a speaker thats clipping and thus causing compression will be more likely to this, but its hardly the only way/place it happens.

you need to keep in mind this processor was actually not developed for live use, but for studio use. Not to mention it was favored by bassists far before guitarists.

when did i mention clipping or distortion? Hell, it would be hard to even think i inferred distortion or clipping. So i dont see your point whatsoever.

also, studio use, thats nice. Because they really don't work live.

• Members

You will like it at first....then after a while, you'll probably hate it. Had the rack version, and didn't like it after about a month.

So just because you didnt like it, thats reason to assume no one else will?

There are many pedals I bought, and decided I didnt like after weeks to months of use. But I know there are LOTS of the same pedals beinbg used by others.

WHy do people assume because they didnt like something, no one else will?

I am pretty sure I am not the only one who finds this thing useful, or it wouldnt be on the market.

To the OP - Best way to find out is try one out. Pick one up used, or find a shop that will let you test drive one.

AJC

• Members

Havent used the stomp box version. Used a rack version for awhile many yrs ago for full mix signal for master recording. The rack version I had did have bass level control as well as bbe effect level. Was useful for adding clarity without losing bass content or overall tonal char. However it doesnt take the place of better recording techniques to retain clarity, detail, depth, etc.

So after awhile stopped useing it. In use when done well you dont notice it except when you turn it off, at which point with mujrky recordings clarity and bite along with detail decreases a bit. Most get bad sound by overdoing it with BBE rack units. But better then useing one is useing rfecording techniques that avoid murkyness in the first place imo.

• Members

I A-B'ed the Sonic Stomp and the Sonic Maximizer 382.

The stomp gave me a sound that I thought was an improvement of the overall sound (so far so good, I thought). Then I plugged in the 382. Night and Day difference. The 382 costs what the stomp costs and does way more tone shaping than the box. In my opinion, the ONLY reason why someone properly informed would ever buy the stomp over the 382/482 is because they would rather take a "significant" tonal hit for the sake of pedalboard convenience, rather than fooling with a rack unit. Not me. Unless I found a Stomp on craigslist for $40, there's no way I'd ever get one myself. It's deal with the inconvenience of the rack unit for TRUE tonal enhancement, or be without either.

Archived