Telecaster vs. Strat vs. Les Paul

sailcat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

For me, this guitar is a nice blend of all three. It's got the Tele styling, a slightly thinner body and contoured back like a Strat, and an arched top, set neck, and dual humbuckers like a Les Paul. Sound-wise, it's the most versatile guitar I've ever owned. It's got coil splits and the neck humbucker (DiMarzio Air Norton) sounds great in single coil mode, very Fender-sounding. And in humbucker mode it gets pretty close to Gibson territory. The DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge is very warm and has incredible sustain with high gain like a Les Paul, but also has some bite in single coil mode. I also own a Les Paul, Tele Thinline, and a Strat (which is actually my main guitar). But if I had to pick just one, it would probably be this for the combination of features and tones:

goldtopTele.jpg

• Members

I picked a tele, but it's not a strong selection. I do prefer teles to strats, but interestingly, in over 40 years of playing I've only played one LP extensively (an early 70s LP Deluxe), so I'd have to get more experience with them before I can really give a definitive answer.