You Decide: List CL Items in the Great Deals Thread or No

Woody_in_MN

• Members

There was some discussion in the Great Deals thread that Craigs List deals should not be listed there. I do tend to list them in the thread, and thought I would do a poll to see what people prefer. I don't want to influence the poll, but I myself scored a very good deal on a Danelctro DC out of state on a CL lead, and I also SOLD an Epi P90 re-issue to an out of state buyer based on a CL ad I placed.

Anyway - you decide. I'll run the poll for a week. If people want to see them, I'll continue to post them - if majority does not want to see them, I'll stop. You guys decide.

- W

• Members

As long as it is a truly great deal (not some First Act or cheap Epi that is a couple of bucks off) it should be fine. It is important to keep in mind that many CL things may have to be shipped, so $50-100 off of a big item becomes an average deal.

• Members

Isn't the whole idea (for the seller) of CraigsList to have a quick, local transaction that involves cash on the spot? That's how I've always looked at CL. If it's a really great deal, you will have 5-10 locals all wanting to come over and hand you cash. Why would someone go through the hassle of packing and shipping then? Also, the seller bears the most responsibly on insurance issues in case of a problem. More unwanted hassle. I thought that was what E-bay was for.

Anyway, I voted. It just seems to me that having a Great Deals thread filled with local CraigsList ads that aren't applicable to 99% of the viewers is kind of ridiculous.

• Members

Isn't the whole idea (for the seller) of CraigsList to have a quick, local transaction that involves cash on the spot? That's how I've always looked at CL. If it's a really great deal, you will have 5-10 locals all wanting to come over and hand you cash. Why would someone go through the hassle of packing and shipping then? Also, the seller bears the most responsibly on insurance issues in case of a problem. More unwanted hassle. I thought that was what E-bay was for.

Anyway, I voted. It just seems to me that having a Great Deals thread filled with local CraigsList ads that aren't applicable to 99% of the viewers is kind of ridiculous.

Thanks for your vote.

I think most people would prefer a quick local sale. In the case of my Danelctro purchase there was a very good price on this Danelctro DC 59 re-issue. It was in Athens GA. I think this is a college town (but never been there). Maybe the people locally could not scrap up the cash, or maybe Danelctro is not the flavor of the month down there. The ad had run a couple weeks. It did not say if he would ship or not. I got a hold of the kid that had it. I gave him an extra $20 to ship. It was still a very good deal.

I agree with a couple other comments that it really need to be a great deal - or we are wasting each other's time.

- w

• Members

Marko,

ABSOLUTELY. In fact I have thought about posting something to the Great Deals thread - not on anything specific, but on-going there are some GREAT deals in the used gear section of GC online. I found 3 great deals on amps there, and 2 of these were local.

- W

I recently got two Fender amps for my home studio, Fenders

• Members

they're beyond useless and a waste of space in the thread. if only 49% of users think they should go, they should go. people who like CL can still look up CL in their local area. this isn't a local F*****KING FORUM.

They are no more of a waste of space than any of the bickering or other pointless comments that clog up that thread constantly.

There are a lot of people who buy/sell long distance via CL. I personally have done so successfully and I am sure many others using this forum have done so also.

If a person doesn't like the the CL posts, then they can just skip over them. Nobody forces anyone else to read them. Some of the CL deals that have been listed have been less than stellar, but others have been fine. The only ones that should be listed should be really killer deals, not just good or lukewarm ones.

• Members

They are no more of a waste of space than any of the bickering or other pointless comments that clog up that thread constantly.

There are a lot of people who buy/sell long distance via CL. I personally have done so successfully and I am sure many others using this forum have done so also.

If a person doesn't like the the CL posts, then they can just skip over them. Nobody forces anyone else to read them. Some of the CL deals that have been listed have been less than stellar, but others have been fine. The only ones that should be listed should be really killer deals, not just good or lukewarm ones.

It does get tiresome. I stayed away for a while 'cause I just did not have the energy to go there. Hopefully we can turn it around. (I'm ever the optimist.)

- w

• Members

Also, I think if you have 10 people e-mailing from around the county, and a bunch of locals e-mailing also, sellers will just delete the ad and run it again in a day or two with a higher price. Or, the price magically inflates in an hour after posting. I've seen this happen on my local CraigsList a whole bunch of times in the last few years.

Personally, I think posting a CraigsList ad can just result in the whole 'Great Deal' going down the drain for anyone.

• Members

I look at the "great deals" thread as a place to report great deals from legit, vetted businesses -- sorta like slickdeals or fatwallet does, but we do it here in the guitar forum for gear related stuff.

CL can be shady and unreliable to say the least, plus it's local! I've been irritated by the multitude of CL posts in the great deals thread for some time, but never said anything until someone else complained. now it's time to bitch and moan, baby!

• Members

I voted no... they are interesting to see, but I only see them as applicable to the thread if the person posting is local to the posting and it willing to check out, purchase, and ship the item to an HC member for a reasonable "finder's fee".

Mostly, they just make me sad :(

Archived