Mac Users: Anyone excited about Snow Leopard?

amplayer

• Members

Yeah, it's the operating system that came after OS 9, so it's OS 10. I recall speculation in one of the Mac magazines when the operating system was announced that Apple decided to go with the Roman numeral "X" to avoid being sued for copyright infringement on a preexisting operating system from another company named "OS 10," but I can't find anything about this on the web.

Oh, and while were on the topic of how to say gear names, Moog rhymes with rogue. ;)

Best,

Geoff

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess somebody's excited. I think I've received about a dozen press releases in the past week from audio manufacturers announcing that their products were compatible with Snow Leopard.

Frankly, I wouldn't use a computer that names its operating systems like that. And I don't.

What's in a name? It's no better or worse than naming an operating system "Longhorn" or "Vista" as far as I'm concerned.

Do you apply this naming bias to other products as well? For example, would you not buy a microphone because of the name?

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Frankly, I wouldn't use a computer that names its operating systems like that. And I don't.

Huh? If ever there were a reason to use an operating system, naming it after cats is just about the best one I can think of.

• Members

Yeah, it's the operating system that came after OS 9, so it's OS 10. I recall speculation in one of the Mac magazines when the operating system was announced that Apple decided to go with the Roman numeral "X" to avoid being sued for copyright infringement on a preexisting operating system from another company named "OS 10," but I can't find anything about this on the web.

Oh, and while were on the topic of how to say gear names, Moog rhymes with rogue.
;)

Best,

Geoff

Hmm. Although the "ten" aspect of the name is clear, I also always say "X" when I say "OS X".

The only time I say "ten" is when referring to the actual OS version, i.e., OS 10.5.8 or 10.4.11.

Maybe everyone is laughing at me too. :D

• Members

Huh? If ever there were a reason to use an operating system, naming it after cats is just about the best one I can think of.

But what about the fact that Apple's choice for OS cats are of the wild type that would be happy to eat a domestic cat for lunch if given the opportunity?

• Members

I think the name controversy that you are remembering is with Microware's OS-9. Microware was a Des Moines based supplier of Real Time operating systems to ATMs and a Radio Shack computer. They also had an OS for settop boxes.

The OS e'X' pronunciation kind of worked because it was Unix-based - the roots of the OS are in the BSD line of Unix (Berkeley Software Distribution)

• Members

But what about the fact that Apple's choice for OS cats are of the wild type that would be happy to eat a domestic cat for lunch if given the opportunity?

I'm sorry, amplayer, I'm not at liberty to discuss intra-species squabbles with muggles. Our feline creed requires us to work these things out behind the scenes, even if one of us gets eaten from time to time. For the rest of the world, we speak with one voice, or if it's nap time, let David Pogue speak for us.

• Members

Oh, and while were on the topic of how to say gear names, Moog rhymes with rogue.
;)

I had to deal with that just yesterday. The dilemma is being correct vs. being understood, so I sometimes find myself saying both.

First I said Moog (rogue) and got a blank stare, followed by Moog (rouge), and got a nod of understanding.

• Members

I had to deal with that just yesterday. The dilemma is being correct vs. being understood, so I sometimes find myself saying both.

First I said Moog (rogue) and got a blank stare, followed by Moog (rouge), and got a nod of understanding.

Well I've heard Bob Moog say his own name.

And he says it like 'rogue' not like 'moooooog'

• Members

Well I've heard Bob Moog say his own name.

And he says it like 'rogue' not like 'moooooog'

Me too. The thing is, yesterday Bob wasn't in the room, and I had to communicate with the guy who was.

I generally say Moog like you're supposed to. The way he said it sounds right to me. But I'm not on a mission to correct the popular pronunciation of his name. No one has that much power. I realized that when I used to try and convince people that the final "x" in "Kleenex" is silent. When Mr. Kleenex himself pronounced his own name, it sounded almost French: "Kleen-ay." So for years, whenever anyone would say "Kleenex," I'd firmly but politely correct their mispronunciation. Sure, there are pockets of people all throughout Micronesia correctly pronouncing the most popular facial tissue in the world, and for that I take great pride, but one cat can only do so much.

• Members

I use it to copy/paste files all the time, something ingrained in me from years of Windows use. 10.5 has it, 10.4 doesn't.

Odd, I went and looked at my older MBP w/ 10.4 and sure enough, the right mouse does allow copy. Stupid me.

I took snap shots from the 10.4 right mouse and 10.5 right mouse:

RMouse104.jpg

RMouse105.jpg

• Members

Nope. Not going to Snow Leopard because my Mac is PPC and won't support it.

What? Dump your obsolete old machine?

It's hardly obsolete: dual processor 2.5 ghz with 7 gigs of ram and 2.4 gigs of

disc. It's a monster, a wrecking machine and the main machine I use for all of

my music projects.

Yes, in the future I'll need to replace it but to get a Mac Pro with those kind

of specs it means more $ than I have now in this economy.

• Members

Ooh dinosaurs! I vote dinosaurs!
:wave:

Best,

Geoff

Cool. Soon enough, Mac enthusiasts will say:

"Hey, do you think Pro Tools LE 9.6.2 will be compatible with Velociraptor?"

"I'm really finding the Gorgosaurus to be much more streamlined and intuitive than the Allosaurus."

"I think they got all the compatibility issues resolved with the new version of Brachiosaurus."

Archived