Depersonalization

Phait

• Members

Phait - I like your post about the rain. I can relate...

My totally unprofessional diagnosis is mild depression. Some docs would immediately try to get you on some prescription. Unless you swear to them that your problem poses no threat to your ability to function normally in daily responsibilities. Once you cross that line, the condition becomes a "disorder" in current psych-lingo, and they can start pushing the pills.

But if something like a walk in the rain makes your little mood-daisy revive, I don't think you're very far down the drain.

Oy, I could chart my major depressive episodes on a time-line, so I pretty much know the drill at least as far as my own emotional life goes. Don't know if it's akin to your makeup, but for me, I develop a sneaky insecurity that just eats away at me at a subliminal level.

After a while it expresses itself in irrational ways - I obsess over small conversations (did I say something stupid or insensitive?) or I have a bad night's sleep thinking I keep maybe hearing someone trying to get in the house, or I do something totally normal like go to the mall to shop and feel absurdly self-conscious walking in the crowds, or I can't shake the feeling that I'm a ridiculous person who believes absurd things.

By this time, I know what's going on - but I can't simply will the feelings away. There is no all-the-time-every-time-self-cure, but usually if I just break up my routine and take in some strong stimulation of a healthy sort, it breaks up the syndrome. Like watching a couple of movies or diving into an engrossing book, or driving through all the old neighborhoods, or calling someone I haven't talked to for ages, or having friends over for a big BBQ or something like. Sometimes I can pep-talk myself out of the bad times, but not a good track record with that method.

Someone just to talk to - when all's said and done, that's probably the most powerful tool in all of psychology and counseling and pharmacology and psychoanalysis. Prayer falls in that category for those so inclined. Of course, some problems are too deep and directly related to an identifiable chemical or hormonal issue to respond to "talk therapy". Hence at some point the doc needs to be visited.

But like I said - all purely nonprofessional advice - worth what paid for.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I have very similar feelings, everyday. Only after reading your post does it occur to me that it might be a symptom of 'global communication overload', for lack of a better term. Too much information, running through my brain. Too much knowledge of too many people's doings in too many parts of the world; compared to our immediate environs, and nothing seems to get done, get better, or be real, because you're aware of the same {censored} happening halfway across the country that's happening right in front of you.

In my case, I see huge levels of predictability in other's behaviors, and a more thorough understanding of why stereotypes are born and judgmentalism takes root. I see people being completely out of touch with anything beyond a three-foot radius of their body and brain, and anything outside of the standardized information they've been spoon-fed over the years. And while I'm observing this, I notice that I am aware of being able to observe myself, but from within, as in "there's a guy standing here, having a conversation, and I'm in charge of his body language and next utterance. This is stupid." And nothing changes, despite our best efforts and education.

And then I start to wonder why any of us are doing anything at all... pearls before swine.

Archived