Looking to build a one-trick pony - pickup advice

prolog

• Members

I'm looking at building a single-humbucker, straight-up rock guitar. I've been mostly looking at GFS and BG Pups, as I don't want to pay more than $100 for the pickup. I'm looking for an Alnico pickup that'll give a good, balanced clean, and a great overdriven sound. Recommendations? I've been liking what I hear from Bryan's BG Dark and Smokestacks. Are there any GFS humbuckers you guys love? Are there any others I should consider as well?

• Members
Any particular recommendations as to his humbuckers?

Ask him -- Bryan is amazing about helping you choose the right pickup. I'd definitely go for one of his unless you're looking for a "weird" pickup like the aforementioned Duncan.

• Members

I just recently put a BG Dark through the paces and liked it a lot. Like all of Bryans winds, articulate with great string definition. Cleans were sweet and rich and driven delivered as it should. The only thing I'd criticize is the name, its not really a dark pup, more like not as bright as the BG bucker, another great pup.

• Members

I'm looking at building a single-humbucker, straight-up rock guitar. I've been mostly looking at GFS and BG Pups, as I don't want to pay more than $100 for the pickup. I'm looking for an Alnico pickup that'll give a good, balanced clean, and a great overdriven sound. Recommendations? I've been liking what I hear from Bryan's BG Dark and Smokestacks. Are there any GFS humbuckers you guys love? Are there any others I should consider as well?

apples and oranges. BG is a custom, boutique pickup winder. GFS are bargain basement. I'm not knocking GFS. I have used them in a few projects since their inception and have always been pleased with the bang for the buck factor. I have a dealer account with WD, so I also use a lot of Kent Armstrong pickups. However, their prices have gone up a bit and GFS is getting an edge on the variety of pickups offered. All that said, if you have the budget to get a custom pickup from BG, it is well worth it

Archived