Tell me about the Pickups in your TELE

Johansolo

• Members

im reasearching what pickusp to get for a tele-partscaster build.

it will be maple neck/fretboard and most likely a ash body...(im going for the 52 looks...wood grain/blonde with black pickguard)

just debating on the pickups/config etc

im pretty set on the bridge pickup being a single coil as IMO the tele bridge is the TELE SOUND ...but im also considering a single size humbucker/stacked) like a Dimarzio Chopper T (as im a kotzen fanboi)

the neck pickup thou im really can decide...i have 3 other humbucker guitars and a strat so im tossing up between a traditional type tele neck or going soapbar/P90s) ...

i want the tele sound but for more blues pop with a hard rock edge/lead playing

suggestions please...go!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm generally a humbucker guy too, but I really really dig the sound of both tele's I've bought this year.

this one is bone stock

DSC03528.jpg

I'm not sure what pickups specifically are in it, whatever fender is putting in their FSR runs these days. Could be american standard or mim standard, but either way they sound great to me! They're hot enough to sound great dirty or clean, and don't muddy up at all. They're just right, in fact, I think I'll keep them

P1030365.jpg

Seymour Duncan "hot" soapbar in the bridge and SD vintage soapbar in the neck

I like this guitar lots too, but I find it doesn't quite retain the spank that the other tele has. This one's better for rhythm and for complex clean tones. I'm quite happy with its sound, those P90's really bark. Not a subtle guitar at all

• Members

My last tele had a little '59 in the bridge & a GFS lil killer 10K in the neck with 500K pots and a push/pull phase. This guitar covered a bunch of ground. Sounded so good I was offered more money than the guitar was worth. Now I aint got a tele.:cry:

• Members

Frankentele and Bride of Frankentele both have the Kent Armstrong Hot Tele set wired with 4 way switching...

091.jpg

My modified Squier CV has a Kent Armstrong Vintage N 12 humbucker in the neck wired to a mini toggle for series/split/parallel options. The bridge pickup is a custom wound BG T90 - P-90 style pickup in a tele bridge pickage. It is the cats ass!

IMG_4077.jpg

• Members

Can you guys please elaborate more on you tele pickup of choice (eg style of playing tones etc)

i havent heard of half these brands

I like the Kent Armstrongs because they sound great and are reasonably priced. They can be found on ebay all the time.

BG Pickups are made for a fellow formumite, Bryan Gunsher. http://www.bgpickups.com He does great work and has created quite a following here.

The Bill Lawrence Keystones are available here:

http://www.wildepickups.com

• Members

wonder how that would compare to the BG Pickups T-90...
:o

IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg

I can only speak for the Rio. :cop: Very middy, full sounding, excellent edgy tone. Does Rock very well. Great cleans, great crunch. One day I may order a BG pup.:o

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Guitar+Pickup/product/Rio+Grandehttp://www.warmoth.com/Dirty-Harry-Tele-Bridge-Black-P1210C760.aspx/Dirty+Harry+Telecaster+Bridge/10/1

• Members

i want the tele sound but for more blues pop with a hard rock edge/lead playing

I have a cheap ceramic tele bridge single coil in mine and it can play anything. If you're going to beef something up, do it with the neck pickup. The tele neck is very mellow, dark and bluesy. If you want a bigger tone for bluesy music, drop a p90 or humbucker in the neck position. Don't underestimate the stock tele setup, though. It covers a lot of ground and is very addictive.

• Members

If I'm pulling out a telecaster to play, I'm looking for a telecaster sound.

I don't see the sense of a telecaster with P-90's or humbuckers or a stacked humbucker in there or whatever. Seems kind of like adding a trailer hitch to your Porsche so you can haul a camper or something.

That said I don't like an overly-twangy country sound for what I do. I'll mainly use mine for blues and rock. Two pickup brands I like a lot are lindy Fralin Blues Specials and Tonerider Vintage Plus pickups.

Telecasters are so simple in construction, I have to say that a lot of pickups out there will sound great through one. They are a very forgiving and acommodating guitar design.

• Members

(imo) A major "key" in Tele tone is the bridge pickup plate and it's interaction (or not) with the the bridge plate. The saddles are secondary and will add or subtract brightness depending on the type of metal used for them.

Long story short....My Blackout Tele ended up with the stock (magnetic) bridge plate , broadcaster style pup that has a magnetic bottom plate, magnetic pup screws and magnetic pup springs. I tried a few dif' saddle types....(stock (steel/zink), bent steel and brass) and ended up using the stock ones which (imo) are a nice happy medium between the brightness of the steel and the mellowness/ darkness of the brass.

The axe has a nice ballsy Tele bridge tone now.

:cop:...JMHO....YMMV and what not..........:cool:

Archived