Tell me about the Pickups in your TELE

Johansolo

• Members

If I'm pulling out a telecaster to play, I'm looking for a telecaster sound.

I don't see the sense of a telecaster with P-90's or humbuckers or a stacked humbucker in there or whatever. Seems kind of like adding a trailer hitch to your Porsche so you can haul a camper or something.

That said I don't like an overly-twangy country sound for what I do. I'll mainly use mine for blues and rock. Two pickup brands I like a lot are lindy Fralin Blues Specials and Tonerider Vintage Plus pickups.

Telecasters are so simple in construction, I have to say that a lot of pickups out there will sound great through one. They are a very forgiving and acommodating guitar design.

I see where you're coming from but will say that when I pull out a Tele I'm looking for a range of sounds. I'm finding that different pups, even different single coils, can sound pretty different in the same guit. An example would be my 80s ESP. The original pups sounded very twangy and handled gain all the way up to AC/DC levels great but beyond that the pups went microphonic (I was playing covers and needed to be at that level of gain occasionally, even if I really don't care for it). Enter the Dimarzio Pre B1. VERY hot bridge SC, very middy and cut like a knife. So hot, in fact, that I had to get a SC sized HB for the neck (Duncan Designed Rails). That turned the ESP into a fire breathing monster with just enough spank left to cover country if needed. Nowdays, I have enough guits to cover the harder rock stuff and decided to put the ESP back to its original country twangy goodness. I don't use the neck pup much so just have a generic ceramic pup in there, does a pretty good job covering the generic Tele neck sounds, and I have a GFS 50s Alnico in the bridge. Back to twang city (and, unfortunately, microphonic at extremely high gain/ volume).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am using Dimarzio Area T in the bridge and neck in my cheapo Squier Affinity Tele and love them. I also routed to add a middle pickup and was using a Lace Blue there but, now have thrown a Dimarzio Area 61 strat pickup up in there. These pickups sound fantastic. I had tried a bunch of other pickup that sounded pretty decent but these ones are it for me. They cover the single coil Tele sounds I wanted a Tele for great. The bridge cuts through a mix with lots of bite and clarity. The neck is smooth and warm, but doesn't muddy up too bad when playing full chords or riffs. As good as they sound for clean blues and funk they also work great for rock and grunge. The bridge pickup works great with the tone rolled back and some dirt added for some big bucker kind of sounds. The in between sounds with the Area 61 in the middle are so good for clean fast chordy funk that I don't even have to add the Q-Tron. When every I am jamming and I have a hard time figuring out which of my 4 electrics to play to cover a certain sound I grab this one, because it does them all well. Here is a picture of it when it still had the Lace blue in the middle.
new1.jpg

• Members

I put a Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy in the neck of this Tele copy. It's a great pickup that straddles the line between Tele and Strat very nicely.

In the bridge I kept the stock ceramic pickup because it just sounds right. It can cut in a rock band, twang in country and spank through the surf like nobody's business :D

wb_tele.jpg

Archived