Do you play the same guitar as your hero(es)

twofoolsaminute

• Members

Hendrix is my favorite guitarist and I own 3 Strats. I just find Strats to be the easiest guitars to play, the most comfortable, and I love their sound. I admit I did get my first Strat because of Hendrix, but in any case, Strats suit me best style-wise.

Page is my second favorite guitarist, but I don't own an LP and I don't know if I ever will. They don't feel too comfortable to play. The closest I have to an LP are my cheapo Ibanez GAX-75 (LP double-cut/SG kinda thing) and my Ibanez Jet King that gets pretty close to Les Paul territory. That suits me well enough.

I have a Tele, but none of my heroes really played Teles (... well Jimmy Page did... but he was more of an LP guy). Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys got me interested in Teles, but these days he hardly plays them.

And I have an Ibanez SA120, a superstrat, and no guitarists I listen to play those.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well ... he penned some really good lyrics, sang/sings really well, and got people to wear "Free Francis Bean" shirts

I can't argue with any of that

So is that LP in regards to Adam Jones or another that I'm completely unaware of ....

Adam Jones :thu:

~Matt

• Members

DSC_0190.jpg

LTGTrash30.jpg

this rig is inspired by the most influential band in my life, God Street Wine. the guitar is a PRS Custom 24, which is mainly what Lo Faber played. Aaron Maxwell mostly played a Sadowsky and a Gibson LP Historic Goldtop. so the guitar is a hybrid, especially since i never got on with the PRS pups and replaced them with Dimarzio Virtual PAFs.

the first amp is an Allen Encore. its a tweaked out Vibrolux. when i started seeing them, Lo played his PRS into a coupla pedals and a Twin Reverb.

the second amp is my Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket. Aaron played a Dual Rectifier.

i can cop tones from either of them, but i don't. i never liked Lo's nasally tone, and Aaron's just on another planet tonewise. that guy can sound amazing with a Teisco and a Gorilla amp if he had to. so i really try to sound like me.

i've gotten to the point where that's really all i'm interested. sounding like me. but that's the roots of where my rig comes from. i didn't set out to create the GSW hybrid rig. but i do think it's interesting that i ended up with some of the same brands. then again, they were a 90s band and i came of age in the 90s. so its not really that weird.

• Members

Mike Ness plays old goldtops, so I own a used '06 goldtop classic. I cannot afford the ones he plays (I think they are those really expensive re-issues of some sort). It gets the job done though! I would like to state that I am a hack, & do not deserve such a nice guitar...

• Members

Since I play in a tribute band, yeah, my guitars are as close as I can get to Lifeson's on my budget.

Luckily, I have the same taste in guitars that he does.

I just made a deal tonight for a guitar exactly like one of his.

I'll post details when I get it but it will be a few weeks.

• Members

I don't buy guitars after what my heroes use, I buy them for what they are (at least I will do that in future, I only have 1 and no money ATM).

One of my friends bought an LP copy because Slash uses LPs. Another one got an Epi LP Custom as a guitar for metal only because Kirk Hammett used a black LP for Fade To Black. He ended up noticing that the LP wasn't suited to metal as well as he thought.

• Members

Since I play in a tribute band, yeah, my guitars are as close as I can get to Lifeson's on my budget.

Luckily, I have the same taste in guitars that he does.

I just made a deal tonight for a guitar exactly like one of his.

I'll post details when I get it but it will be a few weeks.

Ahh! By one of your other posts I bet I can guess what you are doing.

Could it be a guitar that looks like one Big Al used extensively from the early 90s up through the R30 tour?

Archived