Whats the Tele got that a Strat can't do?

PigWings_v2.0

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It seems like not a lot of people really enjoy the Strat bridge pickup. I actually enjoy it a lot. I just wish the second tone knob was hooked up to it as standard.

I think that the problem is the proliferation of cheap ass strats with {censored}ty sounding pickups. Also, traditional wiring where the bridge has no tone control. Combine these two things and you've got a spikey, piercing cacophony of strat diarrhea.

A good strat with decent pickups is going to have a bridge pickup that gets your attention without insulting your tone glands. Oh, and a little jumper wire to tie the bridge pickup into the bottom tone control (with the middle pup) works wonders--even on $3000 Custom Shop Vintage Reissues.

• Members

I've considered getting a bridge pickup with a baseplate for my Strat, so that I can get the main advantage a Tele has over it - the bridge position pickup. But even then, without additional mods, I can't get the sweet neck+bridge combination.

And the Tele is all solid under the bridge..were your typical Strat has a massive hollow for the trems guts. This amount of wood removed from a Strat must have some bearing on the tonal differences between a Strat and a Tele.

• Members
And the Tele is all solid under the bridge..were your typical Strat has a massive hollow for the trems guts. This amount of wood removed from a Strat must have some bearing on the tonal differences between a Strat and a Tele.

Technically, a traditional strat is actually a semi-hollow, with a plastic veneer. :cop:

• Members

Along with what's been said, and I favour the middle (neck and bridge) position on my Tele's, is that,...when I pick up a Tele, after I've been playing one of my Strats, ...my brain goes to some where different. Not quite like Dr Jekyl and Mr. Hyde but, it's definitely a different world.

For this very true life experience, ya gotta own both and see for your self. Honest! I {censored} thee, not!

And I've got 6 Strats and 4 Teles and they keep me out of ruts.

CIMG0384.jpg

The beauty of these four is that they're all different. All MIM except for the one with the Bigsby. It's MIA.

• Members

I definately prefer the bridge pickup in the tele over a strat... but i like the strat neck pickup vs a tele's... maybe i should put a neck pick up from a strat in my tele? I guess i don't use it enough to spend money on it.

i love my tele though. squier modded with american fender electronics.

• Members

Yahhh!!! And I play that one a lot. It's still got the twang even with those HB's and hollow wing. It's not as light as the 69. And can do a bit more at the neck. And it's got the Stratty neck and tail piece that the Strat bridge cover fits over and that again takes my brain to another universe because I can't palm mute when it's on. And when I make a mistake, it rings out loud and proud. Gawddamn!

• Members

strat and tele i got bot also i build both i own 4 strats & 3 teles the strat is the most comfortable guitar you can play i love it cutaway plus bellycut vs the tele which is uncomfortable after a hour or so as for sound i love the sound of a strat in all positions except the bridge which the tele rules ...that growl almost a p 90 sound almost les paul sound out of a tele .to me the strat is lacking only in the bridge position but only when its compared to to a different guitar like a tele or a les paul

• Members

What do you guys think of wiring the strat so you can use neck and bridge together to simulate that sweet tele middle position. Worth the effort?

I use that one a lot on my strats. Very useable sound esp for strummy stuff. It's not a tele sound though and for me the middle position of a tele is one of the all time rhythm guitar sounds. Hollow yet punchy in a way that strats wont get.

I like strats and teles for their different ranges and the great sounds either design can get.

• Members

The last time I "A/B"'d a strat vs. a tele I found that the tele had a woodier, thicker sound with less overtones. The tele was really pure sounding. The strat had more interesting harmonics, though, probably due to the spring tremolo.

In my opinion, the biggest difference in the sound has to do with the thickness of the body. The tele's extra heft gives it a different sound.

The other thing a tele can do that a strat can't is dig mightily into the forearm and fat roll from its clunky, non-contoured body. :poke:

Both guitar types are win. There is no reason not to love them both.

• Members

The last time I "A/B"'d a strat vs. a tele I found that the tele had a woodier, thicker sound with less overtones. The tele was really pure sounding. The strat had more interesting harmonics, though, probably due to the spring tremolo.

In my opinion, the biggest difference in the sound has to do with the thickness of the body. The tele's extra heft gives it a different sound.

The other thing a tele can do that a strat can't is dig mightily into the forearm and fat roll from its clunky, non-contoured body. :poke:

Both guitar types are win. There is no reason not to love them both.

ha.. completely agree

Archived