Whats the Tele got that a Strat can't do?

PigWings_v2.0

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use that one a lot on my strats. Very useable sound esp for strummy stuff. It's not a tele sound though and for me the middle position of a tele is one of the all time rhythm guitar sounds. Hollow yet punchy in a way that strats wont get.

I like strats and teles for their different ranges and the great sounds either design can get.

I have a blender pot on a Strat. The neck + bridge position is a great combo...so, it IS worth the effort to wire a Strat for this pickup combination. However, it does NOT sound like the neck + bridge position on a Tele.

• Members

...maybe its just me, but I doubt without the video many people would have heard that as a tele.

It's all Tele. Middle position with my prototype pups, blues deluxe reissue. I love the middle position. This guitar is really thick sounding. Completely different from my strats. Definitely had some people scratch their heads when playing surf on the tele.

• Members

Tele has teh twang.

Also on my stock '08 MIM tele, the neck clean with rolled back tone gets a really jazzy sound that
I
can't get from a Strat.

+1

If I want to play jazz, I pick up one of my teles. The mellowness of the neck pup is another reason that, even with the bridge switch mod on a strat so that you can get the neck and bridge pups together, the strat can't give you the middle position tele tone.

So, check it out, the tele has more twang AND more mellowness. Teles are in fact very versatile! Country to jazz, blues and other stuff in between! But I like the way one poster put it, a tele is a very pure guitar, no trem (with springs giving you a natural reverbm), just you, a body, neck, strings and pups.

Every guitarist should own a tele at least once, and every student should start on a tele, IMO. But in the end, I will always have at least one of each! :thu:

Archived