Quality Vs. Quantity

Duke Spinner

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some names are worth the cost. If/when you ever get to play a real Gibson (and I don't mean a faded, or a Melody Maker, or whatever low-end model they're offering this week), you might just have a different opinion. I know of another name brand that would blow your socks off, but I won't go there..
;)

I hear this a lot, but I've never encountered a Gibson in a shop that wasn't a very nice guitar. Some were beat to crap, but that wasn't a factory problem. That was neglect by the shop. I'm sure they do get a lot of returns, but for whatever reason, I've never found one that needs to go back.

You were at apparently good shopes:thu:

• Members

I hear this a lot, but I've never encountered a Gibson in a shop that wasn't a very nice guitar. Some were beat to crap, but that wasn't a factory problem. That was neglect by the shop. I'm sure they do get a lot of returns, but for whatever reason, I've never found one that needs to go back.

Gibson still pisses me off every time I buy one.

Just about everything I read here tells me that anywhere from 50-80% of them are garbage, pretty much to the point of unplayable, but I've owned about 40 of them in the last 10+ years and the worst issue I've had was a bad 3-way switch.

I even ordered most of them site unseen from MF, AMS, etc. that don't give a {censored} what they sell, and still I can't get one of these god-awful guitars to come my way.

You'd think the law of averages would catch up to me eventually, but I'm still waiting...

• Members

I honestly think youre lying to yourself. Hey, its ok to want to own a hi end guitar. But Ive played MANY lower end guits that floored hi end ones.Ya ever actually played a 59 Les Paul Standard? or a 58 JR?
:lol:

Real ones? Have you?

Well lets see...I've played at least 50 mexican strats and teles and NOT 1 came close to my high end japanese. Oh wait I confess there was one mexican custom shop tele for 800 bucks that was close. I've played several and owned one epi and again not even close to the gibsons I've played....let alone the greco and orville I own.

So yeah...NO...I'm not lying to myself. Are you? What "high ends" have you played? And what were these low end ones that "floored" high end guitars?

• Members

No, they're not. I know I can expect a great guitar if I buy a Gibson or a Fender or a Martin. The difference is, there are a lot of Asian makers doing some perfectly fine stuff. It'll never have the value or the prestige of a Gibson, but as a tool, it's fine.

So to a musician, a guitar is what? An investment? A piece of art? A badge of prestige? Yes, to me a guitar is just... a tool. And I am one of those musicians who would rather have a stable of tools than one, very expensive tool.

And I have learned far more about guitars and what makes one "do what it do" playing and modding my stable than I would ever learn from an expensive guitar that I was afraid to mod because it would affect its "value". :facepalm:

And my experiences have taught me that all manufacturers produce a lesser product, on occasion.

• Members

Gibson still pisses me off every time I buy one.

Just about everything I read here tells me that anywhere from 50-80% of them are garbage, pretty much to the point of unplayable, but I've owned about 40 of them in the last 10+ years and the worst issue I've had was a bad 3-way switch.

I even ordered most of them site unseen from MF, AMS, etc. that don't give a {censored} what they sell, and still I can't get one of these god-awful guitars to come my way.

You'd think the law of averages would catch up to me eventually, but I'm still waiting...

Youre lucky:thu: Great. Ive owned 5 and 2 were dogs:cry: one was ok:confused:

• Members

Real ones? Have you?

Well lets see...I've played at least 50 mexican strats and teles and NOT 1 came close to my high end japanese. Oh wait I confess there was one mexican custom shop tele for 800 bucks that was close. I've played several and owned one epi and again not even close to the gibsons I've played....let alone the greco and orville I own.

So yeah...NO...I'm not lying to myself. Are you? What "high ends" have you played? And what were these low end ones that "floored" high end guitars?

Read above post:thu:

I used to chum around with one of the biggest Vintage dealers in the Northwest.

Hi end Japanese LOL what did ya pay for that $450?

• Members

the word "resort dining" worries me..

maybe you have an unrefined palate?

Sorry dude but I think your reasoning (or sample size) colors your opinion.

call me a simple man,but if i have to "refine" my palate or "acquire" a taste for anything,i don't want it.i want to be able to pop it in my mouth and say "damn,that's good".if i have to eat 500 of then to learn to stomach them,just because high society says it's good,i don't wnat it...

Some names are worth the cost. If/when you ever get to play a real Gibson (and I don't mean a faded' date=' or a Melody Maker, or whatever low-end model they're offering this week), you might just have a different opinion. I know of another name brand that would blow your socks off, but I won't go there.. ;)

i've played a couple of real Gibsons,and a real Taylor,and a real Martin...i was less than impressed.i'm not saying they're not good guitars,i'm just saying they're not $1000's better...

• Members

I know I can expect a great guitar if I buy a Gibson or a Fender or a Martin.

Oh? That's interesting. In my 30+ years of playing I have certainly played my good share of Gibbys, Fenders and Martins--both new and old--that were complete POS turkeys.

The difference is, there are a lot of Asian makers doing some perfectly fine stuff.

Yup.

It'll never have the value or the prestige of a Gibson, but as a tool, it's fine.

Well, unless you are planning on selling it, trading it or leaving it behind as a family heirloom, "value" would seem to be completely subjective. If you enjoy it and plan on keeping it, then a $150 MIC guitar has every bit the "value" of a $2000 MIA big brand name.

As far as "prestige"--some people don't give a crap about being rated by other guitar players/gearhead geeks like us.

People who associate "prestige" with the brand of guitar someone is playing are a very small part of your audience.

95% of the people you are playing for in most situations aren't going to know or care (or be able to tell the difference even if you pointed it out to them) whether you are playing a Chinese plywood cheapie or some boutique custom made job that cost thousands.

• Members

My collection of gear will always be some close form of this ratio...

a few low end budget pieces

a few high end ultrafine pieces

and as many mid priced average run of the mill type pieces of gear I can get my hands on.

This ratio allows me to maximize both the quantity and quality/quantity that best meets my tastes , wants and needs.

• Members

Read above post:thu:

I used to chum around with one of the biggest Vintage dealers in the Northwest.

Hi end Japanese LOL what did ya pay for that $450?

Yeah well now I know you're ignorant. I suppose if you think Gibson and fender are the only companies who make hi end guitars and all japanese guitars are cheap then that explains a lot.

• Members

You were at apparently good shopes:thu:

I was indeed. Cinderville Music near Knoxville TN is a world class Martin dealer, and they used to have some fantastic Gibsons to choose from. They don't seem to have many anymore unfortunately. The other "good" shop I went to was the Gibson Showcase in Nashville. WOW! The place is a museum of current issue Gibson greatness. And honestly, the Guitar Center in Knoxville TN has some great examples hanging up out of reach. Most of the stuff at ground level are fadeds and studio which are all beat to {censored}. Fine guitars, just beat up from being pawed so much. I'm not saying Gibson doesn't send out their fair share of junk, but the stores I frequent either weeds them out or doesn't get em. I can see the mom and pop weeding them out, but not GC.

• Members

I was indeed. Cinderville Music near Knoxville TN is a world class Martin dealer, and they used to have some fantastic Gibsons to choose from. They don't seem to have many anymore unfortunately. The other "good" shop I went to was the Gibson Showcase in Nashville. WOW! The place is a museum of current issue Gibson greatness. And honestly, the Guitar Center in Knoxville TN has some great examples hanging up out of reach. Most of the stuff at ground level are fadeds and studio which are all beat to {censored}. Fine guitars, just beat up from being pawed so much. I'm not saying Gibson doesn't send out their fair share of junk, but the stores I frequent either weeds them out or doesn't get em. I can see the mom and pop weeding them out, but not GC.

I will attest that while living in the nashville area the guitars that didn't make the cut ended up in pawn shops and not in actual guitar shops. It's bad for me to miss Nashville, right? Someone tell me it is.

• Members

So to a musician, a guitar is what? An investment? A piece of art? A badge of prestige? Yes, to me a guitar is just... a tool. And I am one of those musicians who would rather have a stable of tools than one, very expensive tool.

And I have learned far more about guitars and what makes one "do what it do" playing and modding my stable than I would ever learn from an expensive guitar that I was afraid to mod because it would affect its "value".
:facepalm:

And my experiences have taught me that all manufacturers produce a lesser product, on occasion.

Yes but, some of us have already been through the "rip it apart and see how it ticks" phase. I call that phase "the late 80s". Today, I'm 35, I like my filet mignon medium rare, I like my TV in 1080P and I like my guitars made in America. YMMV :wave:

• Members

perhaps I should have said PRS .....

my, there sure are sum bad feelings for Gibson here ...
:eek:

Not really. Some of us have just realized a well known brand name and high price don't necessarily guarantee a fine instrument. In Gibson's specific case, I've owned good ones and bad ones and that's why I mentioned the brand name is no guarantee.

The other thing is that you can purchase guitars of equal or better quality for a lot less cash. For example, high end Yamahas.

The problem is a lot of guys that have laid down their hard earned cash for a Gibby, don't like to hear that, although you'll find a lot of guys here who own both Gibsons as well as other brands and don't have an issue with it.

Archived