The New Marshall Class 5 I's Here!!!

mymindsok

• Members

Hey!!!

Zone Music has it's first shipment of the new Marshall Class 5 amps on the floor and theyre already on sale for $399+tax as part of thier Pre Xmas Rock Madness Sale. Four bills for a 5 watt, all tube Marshall? :facepalm:

I'll be going over there this afternoon to see Frank anyway, so I'll check out thisamp and let you know whats up with it but that price has me thinkin.

Not GASIN yet but definately thinkin!

Class5.jpg

Marshall Class 5

Marshall Class5 All-tube 1 x 10" Combo Amp Features:

• Members

I'm going to get in line for one.

I was interested in them and then "Minnie The Moocher" 's YouTube vids sold me.

It may be only 5W and a 1x10, but my understanding is the larger cabinet expands the tone a bit. I know the Vox Pathfinder manages to pull off the same trick.

But until I have a chance to play one first hand -

[YOUTUBE]VS0ef5BDPyo&feature[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]phpgUSYR1ZI&feature[/YOUTUBE]

IMO on this one, the Vox is kickin butt on the Marshall until he gets into "Whole Lotta Love" and then the Marshall's strengths are apparent.

[YOUTUBE]pg1ZZWPTlqc&feature[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
that settles it - one of each is required.

;) Yeah, I have the Vox AC4TV, just got it a couple days ago. Still trying to fully formulate an opinion about it. Shortly before that I got the Peavey Valveking Royal 8 on the $99.99 blow out deal (it's kind of a rude little piggy, but still fun and worth that price (as long as you have a bit of a sense of humor))

and after I get the Marshall, my short-lived low watt Class A tube amp fetish will be over.

Well, that is of course unless I someday stumble across a good deal on a vintage Champ. ;)

I've got a replacement Jensen on its way for the Peavey and I'm contemplating that on the Vox. The sound was a bit smaller than I expected from a 10" speaker amp. It's like my 10" 15W Fender Pro Junior would peal the tolex off this Vox.

But that's part of the head scratcher for me. I've seen one or two other forumites suggesting that there's too much hype on these little amps just cuz they have a tube in them. And I think there's some truth to that when I compare them against my tweed Pro Junior (which I bought years ago for around $250 a view as a far more capable instrument), but I think the fun thing I'm enjoying with these little Class A 5 watters is the touch dynamics. It's fun to set the levels at "edge of break up" and then have that crunch come on as you play harder or roll on the guitar's volume. So I'm just saying, it's a bit of a new experience/toy for me to amuse myself with so in that respect these things get a green light from me. I'm so easily entertained. ;)

• Members

As always Minnie provides

Man this place is killing my wallet

Minnie can make anything sound good, but that little Marshall kicks butt! Just as an aside, I think my little Pro Jr. does the Vox thing better than any small Vox I've heard. I've been gigging with it lately and just hangin and e609 in front of it I can get great punch and chime, but that Marshall puts out a great grind. Gotta think about this.

D

• Members

my only concern with these clips is that it def. sounds just bigger and better through the 4x12. I dont even like the stock amp in that video, which might defeat the purpose of having something small and portable you can crank up. Still on my GAS list currently though

• Members

definitely would be more interested in it if it had a master volume. a lot of peeps who are interested in low watt tube combos are apartment dwellers who cant crank even a 5w amp enough to get optimal overdriven tones.

Mod it, put in an effects loop, and run a volume pedal through the loop, instant master volume.

I'm personally looking forward to this amp. I can't wait to try one, I think with a tube screamer in front of it, it would really wake the amp up and get that classic modded plexi tone. I also like how well this little amp drives cabinets. Heres an example below, this is why I can't wait for one. Bear with the vid, he starts playing the class 5 at about 3:38.

Edit: Sorry, I see some else already posted the vid before me. Sorry!

Archived