Kind of surprised Dan Donegan is switching from Washburn to Schecter

mfergel

• Members

guitarists dont just do it for the money:lol:
:lol:

Actually, they typically do.

It's not always about the money, but it's often a breakdown in communications over a contract renewal or renegotiation. Johnny Hiland just left PRS for this reason.

If anyone is bored enough, see WHEN (date wise) Donegan signed with Washburn, or it was announced. You might find it was about the same time of year as now, hinting that his contract expired, and he negotiated with another company.

He may have just wanted to play a Schecter instead, but who knows...

• Members

Schecter is a fantastically nice company to work with and really try to accommodate the artist. Plus, their guitars are pretty kick ass!

I've spent time with them as an endorser and have 4 guitars from them that I wouldnt trade for most of the Gibson's on the Guitar Center LA wall (unless maybe the vintage room). I have versions with updated electronics and pups from Seymour Duncan (no Duncan Designs), so they might beat out stock models but they also play very well.

• Members

Weird move considering Washburns partnership with Randall amps (his sig amp is a randall). Maybe he's going back to the Boogies.

That was my thought as well (his being endorsed by Randall). One of the biggest reasons I was surprised was because the band started out in Chicago, home base for Washburn.

Guess it's my fault for expecting some form of loyalty. Maybe the move was on Washburns end. His guitar is a nice enough model but it's a love it or hate it kind of shape. I don't imagine sales on it were too great. That doesn't mean though they couldn't have designed a new guitar that would have been a bit more 'mass' appealing.

• Members

I'm Schocked and Schurprised that he'd Schwitch to Schecter. I $ wonder $ why $ the $ Schwitch $ was $ made? $

+1 that poscht was schpectacular I schay!!!! Scheems like there schould be schome kind of limit as to how many companies you can schlep to and from. That is my 2 schents!!!!

• Members

They dont normally pay their artists...btw

Most endorsements are paid, and even those that aren't come with plenty of benefits. Do you honestly think, if it weren't for the gear-whoring, anyone would know who the {censored} Dan Donegan is? Nope. It's because they slather his name and picture all over everything he endorses that his band, and his name, is still relevant.

• Members

well, Im pretty much a no-name guitarist but they (Schecter) gave me free guitars for touring & recording (no pay tho), so I imagine his deal is probably pretty good considering some people actually know who he is..lol

and just for reference.. most endorsements are not paid. Gibson's endorsements give you half cost of instrument or around wholesale (thats how I got that 61 SG on my avatar), unless you're a huge star like Slash or Zakk Wylde who can make sales for Gibson thru name/brand loyalty and fans. Most have varying levels of endorsements but they normally have a pay to play (for a smaller fee) involved in some form or another, unless (as I said before) you're some huge star. but some, like Schecter, really cater towards the players and not just huge names. They want everyone playing their instruments, and why not.. they make good stuff.

and also, some companies are easier to get endorsements from than others. plus, the economy isn't like it used to be.. most places arent just handing out {censored} anymore.

• Members

well, Im pretty much a no-name guitarist but they (Schecter) gave me free guitars for touring & recording (no pay tho), so I imagine his deal is probably pretty good considering some people actually know who he is..lol...

So crowguitar,did you tour with Sheryl Crow?The Black Crows?Or just a crow band by any other name?

:confused:

Ed

• Members

Must be why they've been clearing out those "Fall Out Boy" Washburns lately then.

Wonder if Washburn is running into some problems? Who's left? Nuno and Paul Stanley? I know what's his face from Black Label Society that plays with Zakk just dropped Washburn as well and now has a deal with Ernie Ball/Music Man.

• Members

Washburn and US Musicorp were recently purchased by a large corporation in which I can't recall the name.They are revamping and simplifying their USA Custom Shop line and are also in the process of designing some new models.So inspite of the saying,maybe the new boss is not exactly the same as the old boss.

:idk:

Ed

• Members

Guess I'll be curious to see how things shake up at Washburn. I've got a WI45 right now (great guitar, especially at the $245 I paid for it new) as well as having owned a couple of Nuno's in the past. Their fit and finish is some of the best I've seen on guitars, especially at the price point on some of their stuff.

• Members

Must be why they've been clearing out those "Fall Out Boy" Washburns lately then.

Wonder if Washburn is running into some problems? Who's left? Nuno and Paul Stanley?
I know what's his face from Black Label Society that plays with Zakk just dropped Washburn as well and now has a deal with Ernie Ball/Music Man

Nick Catanese, and he signed with Paul Reed Smith. Can't find a picture of his signature, but it's pretty ugly.

• Members

Nick Catanese, and he signed with Paul Reed Smith. Can't find a picture of his signature, but it's pretty ugly.

Every time I see that cantanese name on here I think of Dan Cortese the male mimbo from Seinfeld and before that from MTV fame:

dancortese.jpg

• Members

So crowguitar,did you tour with Sheryl Crow?The Black Crows?Or just a crow band by any other name?

:confused:

Ed

the bands had nothing to do with the name crow... the sigs more about my former obsession with the movie..lol

I do alot of session work with some big names, some unknown, and some hopefully soon to be known. I've been on quite a few labels and tours over the years tho.

if u want names, PM me... Im not into getting flamed on this board...lol you guys can be brutal... I just wanna talk gear. ;)

Archived