Good Cheap Strat

grunge782

• Members

I'm mostly a metal player but I want a simple ol strat to play some occasional surf rock with.

I'm really not looking to spend more than 500 (MIM strat). I played a MIM once and I really liked it. I really loved the maple fretboard on that one.

However, I think that fender like other big name companies prices their stuff much higher than it is actually worth. They do have to pay for the extra advertising, pr all that good stuff.

I know about the Rondo site, but I bought one Agile strat once and was not at all happy with it.

So is there a better way to spend my money to get a decent strat surf rock sound?

• Members

You can pick up a used MIM strat for @ $250 all day and night on craigslist. Sometimes they are up for less.

The MIM strats I've owned have all been solid players worth the money I put into them. If you want piss-cheap but don't want Rondo, try a low end Yamaha Pacifica.

• Members

For a little more you could probably get an ESP Vintage Plus or 400 series. They're the best strats out there period, IMO.

As far a budget lines you'd be hard to beat a Yamaha Pacifica or Peavey USA in terms of value.

If you're going for surf, though, I wouldn't rule out Jaguars, Jazzmasters, Yamaha SGV, old Teisco stuff, Eko, DiPinto, etc.

• Members

recommend an Ibanez RG 320 - it has the coil tapped tones of the Strat but is also Metal which means you won;t have to swap out guitfiddles

Or SX - you can get a cheap Strat new for about $129.00 - that is all you will want to pay because you just won;t play it that much.

• Members

With a $500 budget I would turn to Benford:

Another vote for a strat from Steve....I have two of them that I got about 4 years ago and I'm here to tell you no MIM and even most MIA's would compare. Mine have the Fender headstock shape, pre-Fender telling Steve he couldn't put his name on their headstock.

• Members

Archived