Jackson Guitars

UberNova

• Members

It depends on what specific model or price range you're looking at. Generally, anything above the JS series are solid guitars, the MIJ ones like the X series or the Pro series are decent guitars for the money, especially used. If acquired used for the right price they are excellent guitars for the money.

• Members

I've just bought two of their mid priced guitars, the DK2M and the DK2S (one HH one Sustain SH)

I think they play excellent, but they haven't been faves of mine for tone. I'm more into clean and classic rock tones. I think as long as you like to play with some over drive or distortion, there's no reason to hold back. Playablility is excellent and both of mine have gobs of natural sustain.

If that's the type of guitar your guitar heroes play, then I'm sure they'll work for you.

I've been tempted to upgrade to one of the MIA Charvels that are available these days but it would probably be a waste on me just because of my musical style. You can get them, MIA, for around $850 with some haggling.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Charvel

I like the fact that both of my Jacksons are MIJ, but I'm just speculating that the tone wood might possibly be a hair better (and maybe the quality of the Floyd Rose) on the Charvels. :idk:

• Members

I have had 3 USA and one 1990 MIJ. All have been phenominal. The MIJ was built as well as the USA and they down-graded them to keep the USAs competitive.

Today I would buy nothing but MIA Jacksons. If it came to a $750-$1,000 ceiling, I would go used MIA Before new MAE (made anywhere else). USA Jacksons are as fine a factory instrument as you are going to get. If you're a $400-$600 bargain hunter, then I have nothing constructive for you other than, do your homework thoroughly because different locations of origin or different dates of manufacture in the same location can be a completely different guitar. And other than late 80s/early-90s MIJs, what you will be getting (good or bad) is a Jackson import, not a Jackson... similar form but different animal.

• Members

I've had a SL-1 for 'round about 10 years now. It really doesn't get much better. I didn't care for the stock Duncan Stack singles but that's subjective. Build, materials and playability are second to none. After 10 years or so it still plays just like it did the day I got it.

• Members

I have a MIJ 08 DK2m, solid guitar, I recommend it, they are a lot of fun.

+1000. I have a white MIJ DK2m that I got as a blem/return from MF. Got for sub $500. Very solid. The SD JB/Jazz pu combo is a nice fit for this guitar. The neck is very comfortable and fast. The Jackson FLoyd trem is right on, smooth and holds tuning well(I don't go crazy with it though). For the money I can't recommend it enough.

• Members

Well it looks like Jackson has a helluva reputation around here on the forums (thus far) :) Thank you guys for all your input (ASB, that demo was really good too). I'll be sure to go try out a bunch of them over at the local Long & McQuade. They don't carry a lot of variety in brands there but they have a lot of Jacksons.

Just for the record the options I'm considering at the moment are between Jackson, Dean, and Schecter (mainly anyway - I'm open to more ideas). Ironically, I'm a huge fan of the Jackson Soloists and that's what I'm seeing a lot of pics of. And as for Schecter I like all the C-1, Devil and Tempest models as well as all the Hellraiser series. I haven't heard much about that brand so I'm always mildly skeptical lol, plus you can't get them anywhere really local :(

Also, I am on a $1000 limit but I'm sure there's lots of quality in that price range from any brand.

• Members

Buy used if possible. I don't know the market now but you used to be able to buy a USA Soloist for a $1000 if you can't try to find a early 90's Professional or a Charvel model 6 or 650xl.The Charvels were in the 80's and in the early 90's became the Jackson Professional series.

• Members

I love my MIJ Kelly. I got it cheap ($217 IIRC), because the bolt on neck had been replaced and they hadn't done that good a job. Took it to a local shop and they reset the neck, and now it plays great. Thin, unfinished neck, smooth and fast, or it would be if I were fast.

Obviously the MIA stuff will be superior, but the MIJ stuff is good quality and fairly cheap used.

• Members

Oh I almost forgot! Here's a question for you guys: How is the Jackson Custom Shop?

At the Local L&M here you can submit custom orders for Jackson but I've yet to look into it really. I was wondering if maybe anyone has had any experience with them. Like are they expensive? Good craftsmanship opposed to the standard factory guitars? Do they take a long time?

• Members

Oh I almost forgot! Here's a question for you guys: How is the Jackson Custom Shop?

At the Local L&M here you can submit custom orders for Jackson but I've yet to look into it really. I was wondering if maybe anyone has had any experience with them. Like are they expensive? Good craftsmanship opposed to the standard factory guitars? Do they take a long time?

Thanks
:)

You're looking at about $3,000 just to take something off the production line and put it in the custom shop.

If you want a cool color with pretty standard options, it'll be around $3,000 flat.

Takes them from 8-16 months as of late.

Here's a custom shop Death Kelly I had;

dk1.jpg

I've got a custom shop KV that's been in production for about a year now.

I ordered a custom shop guitar from Bernie Rico Jr. 3 months ago and it will be ready in 2 weeks.

I prefer BRJ guitars for custom shop work.

Archived