Ebay, or Ebore.....

kwoods

• Members

Anybody ever see any interesting auctions on the 'bay anymore? Seems the sellers are all a bunch of pusses.

All I see is Buy It Now and and auctions both beginning with reserves that are at the very top of the value of the item. I don't see actual auctions of anything mildly interesting with bidding going on.

When I sell, my auctions always begin at .01 and I usually get what I want for the item. Manny times I've actually gotten MORE than I thought I would and only gotten slightly less twice.

Anyhow, its not much fun to even peruse the place anymore...:blah:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
ive gotten quite a few cool deals on pedals on ebay in the last 5 months alone. Good stuff too.

Were those auctions or Buy It Now??? Sometimes there are deals with the buy it now stuff, but I just don't see a lot of bidding wars happening anymore....

• Members

Most of the ads I see when searching for stuff are ebay stores selling the items for what I can get them for locally or at other online stores. I was just looking for a set of cymbals, and there were 90 listings from stores, all within like 10 bucks of each other (and guitar center), and two listings for used cymbals from private parties. Ebay needs to decide if they want to be an auction house or amazon.com.

• Members
Most of the ads I see when searching for stuff are ebay stores selling the items for what I can get them for locally or at other online stores. I was just looking for a set of cymbals, and there were 90 listings from stores, all within like 10 bucks of each other (and guitar center), and two listings for used cymbals from private parties. Ebay needs to decide if they want to be an auction house or amazon.com.

This is truth! I read awhile back that Ebay was going to try to become MORE like Amazon. they seem to have accomplished that and what a mistake IMO.

The interesting thing about Ebay is, or was the excitement of the live auction...whether buying or just watching. I rarely even bother to look anymore, I took a peek today and it seems like its gotten worse.

I rarely hear any kind of buzz about Ebay anymore and I think until they get back to actual auctions it's going to be curtains for them soon....

• Members

The most interesting thing about most ebay auctions these days is that many, MANY used (and I'm not talking vintage) guitars are going for MORE than the same instrument will cost new! :freak: Sure I've gotten 5 guitars and an amp from the 'bay all at decent prices, but it takes a LOT of slogging these days to find a good deal.

• Members

I'm guilty of that.

When I sell on Ebay I don't want to chance losing money on something. I'm selling to make money after all.

It may not be as exciting but it gets your item in front of thousands of potential buyers and everything I've ever listed has sold and I've gotten what I needed out of it.

• Members
I just sold a EMG 81 on there for 56 bucks....I only paid $50 for it four years ago new so I was happy about that! It was an auction, I think I started it at $20.

Yeah, that's cool and I do see some smaller stuff like yours roll across the block. But what did you stand to lose if it stalled....15-20 bucks maybe?

I'm talking more about high end or vintage gear though. The sellers just seem to be scared to run a legit auction anymore.....

• Members

Saw a Yamaha SG-5 go for $600 yesterday. Cheapest used ones out there are listed between $1,100 and $1,400. Seller didn't know what they had. I got sniped on it, but I wouldn't have gone that high, anyway.

There are interesting things out there. They are fewer and farther, though.

• Members
Saw a Yamaha SG-5 go for $600 yesterday. Cheapest used ones out there are listed between $1,100 and $1,400. Seller didn't know what they had. I got sniped on it, but I wouldn't have gone that high, anyway.

There are interesting things out there. They are fewer and farther, though.

Really? That's interesting.

I guess you should have upped your bid a little, won it, and put it right back on with a $1000.00 Buy It Now!

• Members
Yeah, that's cool and I do see some smaller stuff like yours roll across the block. But what did you stand to lose if it stalled....15-20 bucks maybe?

I'm talking more about high end or vintage gear though. The sellers just seem to be scared to run a legit auction anymore.....

I know what youre talking about, I've never bought or sold any high dollar items on there before, but I'm GASing for a double cut LP really bad and was checking out some auctions today and there really wernt any going for a good price. They were mostly buy it now or had really high reserves. I'll probably just hold out till I find a forumite that has one up for sale in a few months.

• Members

I dig 80s and early 90s Japanese and the prices are getting pretty silly on those kinds of items. In the last two weeks, I bought a Japanese Squier, a Japanese Fender and a Japanese Aria Pro II for less most of the Japanese Fenders are listed BIY on eBay.

I still look there, but rarely find guitars I'd buy for the asking prices.

:idk:

• Members
The most interesting thing about most ebay auctions these days is that many, MANY used (and I'm not talking vintage) guitars are going for MORE than the same instrument will cost new!
:freak:
Sure I've gotten 5 guitars and an amp from the 'bay all at decent prices, but it takes a LOT of slogging these days to find a good deal.

I know who the hell are these people bidding on used stuff? The new stuff is more than I can get it for at Music123, etc., plus they want $35.00 shipping. :lol:

Also, how much does it cost to list something on ebay? Must cost a ton, I've tried offering on a buy it now/best offer, and they always decline a "reasonable" offer.

• Members
I don't see actual auctions of anything mildly interesting with bidding going on ... its not much fun to even peruse the place anymore.

Oh well. I don't sell my guitars on eBay so others can be entertained.

I just sold two guitars - one auction, one best-offer. At one point I had 25 watchers on the auction. Nobody bid until the last three seconds, so the opening bid won it. Glad I set a decent starting amount.

On the other, the BIN price was about a hundred fifty more than I thought I'd get, so I took the first offer that came in $75 under.

After you pay the listing fees and the PayPal fees, you don't clear all that much, so I take no chances.

• Members
Oh well. I don't sell my guitars on eBay so others can be entertained.

I just sold two guitars - one auction, one best-offer. At one point I had 25 watchers on the auction. Nobody bid until the last three seconds, so the opening bid won it. Glad I set a decent starting amount.

On the other, the BIN price was about a hundred fifty more than I thought I'd get, so I took the first offer that came in $75 under.

After you pay the listing fees and the PayPal fees, you don't clear all that much, so I take no chances.

Yeah well the boring way you run your stuff, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :bor:

• Members

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who sells their item on ebay these days at a start of .99 cents and no reserve is costing themselves. Items are bringing nothing on ebay unless the buyer is adhering to a buy it now- best offer auction, which allows you to somewhat control your sales price. Ebay traffic is down so low that virtually no one will follow an auction for a week, which ensures few bidders and the fact that you are going to give your item away in an auction. I dont think ebay will even exist 3 years from now.

• Members

I dig 80s and early 90s Japanese and the prices are getting pretty silly on those kinds of items. In the last two weeks, I bought a Japanese Squier, a Japanese Fender and a Japanese Aria Pro II for less most of the Japanese Fenders are listed BIY on eBay.

I still look there, but rarely find guitars I'd buy for the asking prices.

:idk:

Some of them are getting silly. But really man don't waste your time with ebay for Japanese guitars. Sign up with rinkya and bid on them straight out of yahoo auctions japan yourself. You have to make sure to do the math because rinkya fees will add about 10+% and shipping...but when you win a good auction it usually still works out cheaper than the guys who sell on ebay from japan. With some exceptions of course.

Also the web shops like Ishibashi are good. Their prices are usually fair..usually a bit cheaper than ebay and the service is fantastic. Selection is a little more limited though.

• Members
Anybody ever see any interesting auctions on the 'bay anymore? Seems the sellers are all a bunch of pusses.

I daily check the auctions of a nearby major seller in Denver (Gravity Music):
http://stores.ebay.com/Gravity-Music-Gear?_rdc=1

They start 98% of their auctions for a dollar. Great for an amp. They sold a Behringer GMX212 for $98.52 and a Peavey Classic 50 212 Combo for $321 today. I think that's decent. I got a great Behringer BT 108 for $16.18 a few weeks ago (A 15 W SS bass amp with a cult following as a guitar amp; my telecaster sounds perfect through it).

So, just saying, search locally if you can and save on shipping if you win. Must pay sales tax, though. But, CraigsList is good, too .....

Greg