Gibson VS Epiphone

UberNova

• Members

If you want a cheap guitar that looks like a gibson with a broken corner headstock, where you can upgrade and modify without worrying about resale, dinging up...get an epi. Otherwise, look at Gibson. They are the same parent company, and look similar, but not really the same guitars. Same with PRS SE and PRS MIA, IMHO.

I like my Epi LP, but when comparing directly to Gibson LP, not even close. I play them unplugged so I can get a feel for play and natural sound. Once you throw amps and effects pedals in, the differences in sound diminish a bit. Again, YMMV.

• Members

If you've ever played a Historic Les Paul Standard and compared it to other Les Pauls, either of Gibson make or Epi branding you'll know just how much better the Historics really can be. I didn't think it possible myself until I bought one. I will never sell my R9. Of course I am not a guitaraholic anyways. Had the same strat for over 20 years now.

BTW to get a comparable Tokia or other Japanese knock off you'll pay as much or more than a Historic. When I say comparable I mean same build quality. The Japanese make some fantastic 59 Les Pauls in their own right and they run up to $6K US if you wish to have one.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/navigator/nlp480ltd.html

• Members

I like epiphones better. I dont like nitro finish, nor do I like gibson pups. I like grover tuners better then gibsons as well. And most of the gibsons Ive examined over the past 7 yrs have had mediocre at best fretwork, whereas epis Ive examined over same time period had consistently excellent fretwork.

• Members

I like epiphones better. I dont like nitro finish, nor do I like gibson pups. I like grover tuners better then gibsons as well. And most of the gibsons Ive examined over the past 7 yrs have had mediocre at best fretwork, whereas epis Ive examined over same time period had consistently excellent fretwork.

In other words you don't know what you're talking about.

• Members

It's all up to the person that will be buying and playing the guitar.

Some guys want the name so they are willing to play more for the guitar they choose. That's the guitar that makes them happy. They don't give a {censored} what anyone else thinks.

Some guys don't care about the brand and believe quality comes down to the individual guitar. They also end up buying the one that makes them happy. They don't give a {censored} what anyone else thinks.

:thu:

i agree.

• Members

There have been a lot of detailed replies here, better than I could have posted. I have had both Gibson LP's, and Epi LP's, and Gibson SG, and Epi SG's. I agree with EG's comment that you see more very minor cosmetic flaws on the Epi's. More subjectively, I see them both as fine instruments, but I don't see an Epi as a scaled back Gibson. They are really different instruments. I know you did not ask about Agiles, but if you are thinking about an Epi, look hhard at an Agile. They don't have the re-sale value of an Epi or Gibson, but they are well respected on this forum, and you could probably re-sell on the SPAM thread, and do OK. Honestly if I were you, I would go to your local GC and play a Epi LP standard back to back against a Gibson Studio or Standard and decide for yourself.

- w

• Members

It's all up to the person that will be buying and playing the guitar.

Some guys want the name so they are willing to play more for the guitar they choose.
That's the guitar that makes them happy. They don't give a {censored} what anyone else thinks.

Some guys don't care about the brand and believe quality comes down to the individual guitar.
They also end up buying the one that makes them happy. They don't give a {censored} what anyone else thinks.

So theoretically, nobody gives a shat about what anyone else thinks .... If only it were that easy... hehhehheh

• Members

In other words you don't know what you're talking about.

What makes you say that? You don't like his opinions? So he likes different finishes, pickup types, and tuners, that is just personal preference. Gibson quality control hasn't exactly been known as the industry standard either, so I just don't understand what you are directly commenting on.

As far as the two lines, Epiphone is value where Gibson is quite upscale in terms of pricing, but is the headstock that will be more accepted amongst those that judge that way. Neither can be flat out 'better' because of player preference. The only trend I notice is that Epiphone seems to put out special models and new lines based on what players want/desire, whereas Gibson seems more focused on creating collectible guitars that don't necessarily line up with what real guitar players want.

• Members

What makes you say that?

And most of the gibsons Ive examined over the past 7 yrs have had mediocre at best fretwork, whereas epis Ive examined over same time period had consistently excellent fretwork.

First crap is opinion and that's fine. That I quoted is bull{censored} and I've been playing 40 years. I've seen many, played many and even new Epi's and they are not better, not even near as a nice Gibson. Again, I stand by my assessment of him not knowing what he's talking about.

• Members

I have an epi LP standard and my dad has a gibson 60's reissue. since he got that guitar I had always preferred mine over his just because I had played my epi for years before the gibson. but one day I saw the light and bought a fender tele 72 deluxe reissue and never turned back to a gibson product

but, one thing about my epi compared to my dads gibson is that there was always something breaking of messing up with it ( bad switch, bad jack, etc) my dad's LP never ever a problem.

• Members

Buy the epiphone and save yourself the money. The differences between them will be lost on 99% of the audience.

:D

This if you're looking for playability and subtle tone differences that the audience will hardly notice if you get a decent one say for $495 - $800 (nothing below that will be any good from what I've seen but prove me wrong if you found one that's lower). I've owned both Epi and Gibson LPs and I can tell you that the Gibson is a better piece of 'furniture' with a better finish and better electronics but worth 5 times as much...nah...Save yourself the money and play a good Epi unless you just want the Gibson name on your headstock. If you have the extra money and just have to have that Gibson name on you headstock then go for it...

• Members

Gibiphone -
:lol:

Sig worthy.
:thu:

On a serious note - I played a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and an Epi Les Paul studio side by side, and I actually prefer the Epi...
:idk:

I just can't get into the Studios. I've owned an Epi and a Gibson studio...but I'm kinda into the binding/look of at least a Standard. LOVE my Epi plain-top Standard...compared it to a Gibson when I bought it...and since I got my guitar for $300 used, there was no way I could justify the $1000-1500 difference in price.

Archived