Frank Zappa (for light-weights) appreciation thread

kurfu

• Members

I am sure some of you guys and gals might be the type of fan that only gets of on the most obscure Mothers Of Invention live bootleg 8-tracks. However, I am not one of those people. But, I really, really like the more accessible stuff that Zappa did.

:thu:

For instance, I am currently at work listening to "Dinah-Moe Humm", and was inspired to start this thread... Now... where did I leave my Zircon Encrusted Tweezers?

:wave:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to have all his earley albums like Weasels Ripped My Flesh and others. They were Surrealistic to the max on alot of stuff.

I don't think "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" counts as "Zappa-for-light-weights"

:cop::cop::cop:

:lol::lol:

• Members

I'm a fan of the early Mothers of Invention. I'm a fan of Zappa's instrumental compositions for orchestra (I saw the semi-ill-fated Mothers/LA Phil match up at UCLA for a performance of 200 Motels).

But I have to say that from the early-mid-70s on, the juvenile, simplistic humor of much of the Zappa-dominated later stuff drove me right out the door -- particularly when contrasted with the often brilliant match up of over-the-top but still point-on social commentary of the first 4 Mothers albums. (Freak Out, Absolutely Free, Lumpy Gravy, We're Only in It for the Money... I love those albums.)

• Members

I'm a fan of the early Mothers of Invention. I'm a fan of Zappa's
instrumental
compositions for orchestra (I saw the semi-ill-fated Mothers/LA Phil match up at UCLA for a performance of 200 Motels).

But I have to say that from the early-mid-70s on, the juvenile, simplistic humor of much of the Zappa-dominated later stuff drove me right out the door -- particularly when contrasted with the often brilliant match up of over-the-top but still point-on social commentary of the first 4 Mothers albums. (
Freak Out, Absolutely Free, Lumpy Gravy, We're Only in It for the Money...
I love those albums.)

I think you're missing my point... the stuff that you hate was the stuff that made me appreciate his music in the first place. And from what I understand, he intentionally added the humorous and ridiculous elements and lyrics as a means to make his music more accessible.

• Members

I own more Zappa albums than those of any other artist- even if they rarely get a listen these days.

He covered soo much territory.

I love Grand Wazoo (Im a sax player), the early stuff.

I agree on the lamness of some of the mid -term humor oriented stuff (e.g. dental floss).

I actually like "jazz from hell".

"We're only in it for the money" still makes me laugh.

Of course the "Shut up and play yer geetar" stuff shows what an incredible guitar player he could be.

He defined himself first & foremost as a composer.

He just happened to also be a guitar player.

He wrote significant pieces of music visually- by reacting to the graphical representation of he notes on the staff.- Amazing.

Who out there today comes even close to being as original, versatile and prolific as he was???

HE was the one that should have been named Moon Unit.

• Members

I think you're missing my point... the stuff that you hate was the stuff that made me appreciate his music in the first place. And from what I understand, he intentionally added the humorous and ridiculous elements and lyrics as a means to make his music more accessible.

What makes you think I was missing your point? ;)

I'm just sayin'...

• Members

You Are What You Is pulled the rug out from under the televangelists a good 5-7 years before Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart showed what kind of knob-jobs they really were.

Tinseltown Rebellion was mocking the LA punk/new wave scene, but it just as easily could have been the burgeoning hair metal bands. That one was like We're Only In It For The Money 15 years later. :lol:

• Members

What makes you
think
I was missing your point?
;)

I'm just sayin'...

AH-HA!!! You DID get my point, and only came in here specifically to lay some snobbery upon my poor little unsophisticated loser self. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Careful, or I shall sic my poodle upon you.

:lol:

• Members

My opinion on Zappa was that he was an intelligent guy who frequently wrote complex music coupled with frequently pedantic, obvious humor, frequently lampooning easy obvious targets. I have releases such as "Joe's Garage" and the London Symphony playing some of his stuff, but never listen to it.

• Members

AH-HA!!! You DID get my point, and only came in here specifically to lay some snobbery upon my poor little unsophisticated loser self.
:cry:

Careful, or I shall sic my poodle upon you.

:lol:

Well, I don't hardly think you're unsophisticated (and we're all winners and loser in different ways, eh?) and I'd say snarkery more than snobbery, but... yeah. :D

If that poodle's a standard, I'm properly intimidated. I'm told they can be fearless hunters.

But if it's a toy poodle -- I'm terrified of the little yappers. :eek:

• Members

Well, I don't hardly think you're unsophisticated (and we're all winners and loser in different ways, eh?) and I'd say
snarkery
more than snobbery, but...
yeah.
:D

If that poodle's a
standard
, I'm properly intimidated. I'm told they can be fearless hunters.

But if it's a
toy
poodle --
I'm terrified of the little yappers.
:eek:

The poodle was a reference to the re-curring "the poodle bites, the poodle chews it" line in several of his songs... he never says whether it's a toy or a full size...

A good friend of mine has a real poodle, and yeah... I would not fark around with that dog. ;)

• Members

The poodle was a reference to the re-curring "the poodle bites, the poodle chews it" line in several of his songs... he never says whether it's a toy or a full size...

A good friend of mine has a real poodle, and yeah... I would not fark around with that dog.
;)

No, got that. Poodles pop up throughout his oeuvre as I remember.

And... I got the re-curring pun, too. ;)

• Members

Overall I love Zappa. I was initially attracted by the sex humor in Live at Fillmore East and stayed for the great music and social commentary. Like many others here, I also got tired of his post-1973 lyrics which generally seemed consciously aimed at pubescent males. It just wasn't as well targeted and sharp as the earlier albums.

I think he was best when working in a jazzier style so my favorites are Grand Wazoo, Waka Jawaka and Hot Rats and the DVD surround release Quadraphonia. I recently realized that the song Peaches En Regalia is his ultimate masterpiece. It has all of his best musical elements in a compact tight song. Everyone should hear this song (Hot Rats version) before judging Zappa.

• Members

Pardon me Rudolf Von Hagenwil while I take this brief interlude from what must be much more worthy discussions of your own to take this hike into Frank's conceptual continuity

....I still listen to plenty of Frank's repertoire. I started with Apostrophe and ended up either purchasing or downloading almost everything that was released and then some. To be turned-off by the often profane or ridiculous lyrics was to miss the point entirely. What was most important was Frank's compositions, often the lyrics were only in place to attract the uninitiated, and purely for shock and humor value. The social satire and "easy targets" weren't so easy at the time. It took balls to take on Tipper Gore and the whole PMARC crowd.

I grew up in Canarsie, a working class Brooklyn NY neighborhood that saw Warren Cucurrulo make it into Frank's band and later success in Missing Persons and Duran Duran. There's a track on "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar" named for the neighborhood, where Frank came and performed in Warren's garage. Frank's band was an absolute clinic for up-and-coming musicians of the ilk of Steve Vai, Vinnie Colliauta, Terry Bozzio, Jon Luc Ponty, George Duke, Chester Thompson, Adrian Belew, Ainsley Dunbar, etc, etc, etc. Frank wrote the parts for EVERY instrument, and the musicians were required to sight-read their parts during an initial run-through followed by repeated tightening during follow ups.

Another thing about Frank that hasn't been mentioned is not just the sheer amount of composing he did, it was also the incorporation of so many different styles. From doo-wop, jazz, Stravinski and Varese to the blues and hard rock and punk rock it was ALL included.

• Members

Overall I love Zappa. I was initially attracted by the sex humor in Live at Fillmore East and stayed for the great music and social commentary. Like many others here, I also got tired of his post-1973 lyrics which generally seemed consciously aimed at pubescent males. It just wasn't as well targeted and sharp as the earlier albums.

I think he was best when working in a jazzier style so my favorites are Grand Wazoo, Waka Jawaka and Hot Rats and the DVD surround release Quadraphonia. I recently realized that the song Peaches En Regalia is his ultimate masterpiece. It has all of his best musical elements in a compact tight song. Everyone should hear this song (Hot Rats version) before judging Zappa.

I've got to say that great minds think alike. :thu: Pure coincidence that both of us are Crimson fans and Zappa fans and commented similarly within 5 minutes of each other.

Archived