New build is getting closer. Shredder content.

Bowen

• Members

I am building this for a band that I sponsor. I'm almost done but I though I'd do a build thread vs a NGD thread.

I did not take as many pictures as I would have liked. It is hard to remember to stop and grab the camera in the middle of working.

Specs:

Maple neck through V

Mahogany (khaya) body wings

Bound rosewood fingerboard

Stainless frets (24)

Original floyd rose

Air norton/ D-sonic pickups

Gotoh tuners

Everything will be as black as possible

Textured matt finish

All of the materials came out to just under $600.

So here I am a few days into this build. The body wings are not glued on

1.jpg' alt='>'>

Gluing the wings on. I superglued blocks of balsa to the mahogany so the clamps would pull straight.

2.jpg

Headstock with a little oops in the truss rod slot. That will be cleaned up later.

3.jpg

Ready to carve the neck

4.jpg

Neck is carved, heel joint is getting cleaned up

5.jpg

• Members

Fast forward.

It is routed, sanded, and shellacked. Here the guitar is being painted flat black.
6.jpg

All painted, cleaning up the paint edges where it meets the binding. I had troubles with this part and ended up redoing it 3 times.
7.jpg

Paint is dry and the pinstripes are scraped.
8.jpg

Today: Starting to install the hardware. The pickups are going to be direct mounted so in the pic I am about to line them up with the strings.
9.jpg

I'll post more as it progresses.

• Members

So I had a hell of a time with a logo. Usually I use a waterslide decal that is printed with a laser printer. I did the same here but with a reverse image so maple would show through. This did not work out as well as I thought it would and I might redo it.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Here is a pic of the logo when the paint was still wet.
10.jpg

• Members

Absolutely gorgeous; I especially like the way you ended the neck in a point. I especially like the highlights on the edges of the body.

As for the logo, silkscreen would definitely be a good option, but I would try to find a local pinstriper/signpainter who could just paint it on by hand every time.

• Members

I'll take one of each, painted black, and au natural. :thu:

Can't afford it, but I want to know too. If it wasn't for a band you were sponsoring, how much would the labor be?

Do you offer discounts if the customer doesn't want to cover the beautiful wood with paint? :lol:

• Members

I know, about the paint; Well, I must be punished then, mustnt I?

Anyhow, I got a bit more work done today. All that is really left is to make the covers for the springs and control cavity and the truss rod cover and do a setup. Then it is done.

These pics show the texture of the finish fairly well. It feels like formica and is very durable. This guitar is being built to be a workhorse.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Archived