I must say... Peter Green... Wow

dattebayo1

• Members

PG was never really interested in being a household name. It was him (prob drug fuelled) who wanted to break the band up and give all the money away!

It's all explained in the video I posted on the previous page. Actually, in the series, since the video is the first of 12.

On the DVD they also show Peter with his current guitars, and he talks a bit about them. I don't know if that's included in the YouTube videos.

• Members

Leslie West was right under my nose, but I missed him until recently.

Now, there's a thought.

On the subject of Peter Green, I have a very good friend who works at a kind of homeless organisation in London, and most of their inmates suffer from the old Tory policy of 'care in the community' (ie. tell 'em to {censored} off and sort out their own problems). Apparently, PG went in there a couple of times.

• Members

Leslie West was right under my nose, but I missed him until recently.

Now, there's a thought.

On the subject of Peter Green, I have a very good friend who works at a kind of homeless organisation in London, and most of their inmates suffer from the old Tory policy of 'care in the community' (ie. tell 'em to {censored} off and sort out their own problems). Apparently, PG went in there a couple of times.

• Members

:)

you see, i've never been a blues man in the past, but i really like alot of this material i'm hearing right now. It's great especially since i've not had much of any musical revelation at all since i heard joe pass when i 12, haha.

I expect i'll be giving my local record store a visit before work tomorrow morning

If you can find it 'Peter Green Fleetwood Mac Jumping at Shadows, the blues years', is a brilliant introduction. (Indigo Records IGOXDCD 2507.)

Try also Fleetwood Mac, 'Blues Jam at Chess', vols 1 and 2.

Fleetwood Mac, 'Live at the BBC'.

• Members

I've never heard of PG before I'd started posting here (if that says anything about his popularity outside of guitar circles) and I honestly can't say he does a whole lot for me. To add fuel to the fire, I have to say I find more to enjoy in Clapton's playing. I see why EC became a household name, and I can't say I see that in PG.

PG is renowned for his finesse, taste, touch and tone, plus he wrote some brilliant songs.

There was a point early in their career when Mac with PG were outselling both the Stones and the Beatles. That's how big they were.

Green was the single outstanding Blues guitarist of his generation. Clapton et al merely walked in his shadow.

• Members

I agree about the studied part, but actually, I always thought EC came across as the more agressive of the two *IF* you compare Beano with Fleetwood Mac or Mayall era Green.

I also hear a lot of tradition in PG's playing - different influences from EC and a different approach to them, but to my ear there's no doubt Green did as much and as deep listening as Clapton.

Of course, at the end of the day they were both outstanding in their way

I can see where you come from, but Green's, playing is much more fluid and jammy like Duane Allman, but could get agressive (see Green manalishi)

• Members

Great video. The whole PG Fleetwood Mac era was a bit before my time so I haven't really gotten into it and some of the clips I've seen in the past didn't really do much for me, but I can see the appeal and here the talent.

I guess I'll have to check out some more stuff here and give it a good listen because it does seem like I am missing out on something here.

What a frickin interesting documentary though; I mean you've got all kinds of crazy {censored} going on there from the drugs and the fame to the cult to schizoprenia....wow.

• Members

It's all explained in the video I posted on the previous page. Actually, in the series, since the video is the first of 12.

On the DVD they also show Peter with his current guitars, and he talks a bit about them. I don't know if that's included in the YouTube videos.

It is:

IohsqpFOmaQ

• Members

I can see where you come from, but Green's, playing is much more fluid and jammy like Duane Allman, but could get agressive (see Green manalishi)

He certainly could get agressive too, but to my ears it's a different kind - I know the dangers of making psychological judgements based on recordings but I always got the impression that EC on Beano was a player hell bent on proving himself wheras to me PG always sound a bit more self confident, a bit more mature if that makes sense.

I agree about the jamming thing - Green (and Kirwan!) were better at the long form jamming than EC. Even if cream was far bigger.

• Members

Great video. The whole PG Fleetwood Mac era was a bit before my time so I haven't really gotten into it and some of the clips I've seen in the past didn't really do much for me, but I can see the appeal and here the talent.

I guess I'll have to check out some more stuff here and give it a good listen because it does seem like I am missing out on something here.

What a frickin interesting documentary though; I mean you've got all kinds of crazy {censored} going on there from the drugs and the fame to the cult to schizoprenia....wow

Yeah, it's fascinating, definitely a must-see if you're into Peter Green.

[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]