I must say... Peter Green... Wow

dattebayo1

• Members

I've never really paid the man much attention until recently as i'm generally rather ignorant of anything after 1940 and before the 00s.

Stumbled across him after parousing Matamps website in work.

Anybody else ever suddenly feel like they've been missing out on something blatantly great and painfully under-the-nose recently??

• Members

Greeny -- best of the 1960s Brit blues guys. NO EXCEPTION.

:)

you see, i've never been a blues man in the past, but i really like alot of this material i'm hearing right now. It's great especially since i've not had much of any musical revelation at all since i heard joe pass when i 12, haha.

I expect i'll be giving my local record store a visit before work tomorrow morning

• Members

That reminded me, sorry to hijack a wee bit, but CSM, are you still using the Vintage Lemon Drop? How is it, now you've had it a while?

Still sounds and feels majorly sweet -- but the cold weather may have affected the fretboard slightly and now the top E string sometimes catches on the 2nd or 3rd fret. Gonna need that seen to before I gig it -- otherwise I'll be in trouble by the third bar of the opening number.

Maybe I can blag a mate of mine into wielding his fret files ...

• Members

I've seen youtube videos of his recent work with his current band(Peter Green and friends) and I must say he looks rather happy with what he's doing and plays at least better than his splinter group days.

I'm going to see them in April when they're coming to Oz for the Byron bay blues fest.

z2Rz5EJzQlY&feature=channel

• Members

Greeny -- best of the 1960s Brit blues guys. NO EXCEPTION.

He's up there to be sure, not sure i would say that he was better than beano era EC or indeed that it makes sense to rate them as better/worse. But that's probably for another thread.

PG is one of the greatest blues players ever - one of the truly unique voices in the genre.

• Members

He's up there to be sure, not sure i would say that he was better than beano era EC or indeed that it makes sense to rate them as better/worse. But that's probably for another thread.

PG is one of the greatest blues players ever - one of the truly unique voices in the genre.

Clapton (on Beano, anyway) sounded a lot more studied, respectful, and reserved, to me. Green's playing sounded like there was nothing, no theory, no attempts at "authenticity," no imitations of somebody else's "thing," no Peter Green, even, between his raw emotions and those strings.

It wouldn't have even mattered if Green had played some other instrument, instead; that's the kind of {censored} that's just got to fight its way out, somehow.

Clapton impresses the hell out of me.

Peter Green scares the hell out of me.

• Members

Clapton (on Beano, anyway) sounded a lot more studied, respectful, and reserved, to me. Green's playing sounded like there was nothing, no theory, no attempts at "authenticity," no imitations of somebody else's "thing," no Peter Green, even, between his raw emotions and those strings.

It wouldn't have even mattered if Green had played some other instrument, instead; that's the kind of {censored} that's just got to fight its way out, somehow.

Clapton impresses the hell out of me.

Peter Green scares the hell out of me.

I agree about the studied part, but actually, I always thought EC came across as the more agressive of the two *IF* you compare Beano with Fleetwood Mac or Mayall era Green.

I also hear a lot of tradition in PG's playing - different influences from EC and a different approach to them, but to my ear there's no doubt Green did as much and as deep listening as Clapton.

Of course, at the end of the day they were both outstanding in their way

• Members

I agree about the studied part, but actually, I always thought EC came across as the more agressive of the two *IF* you compare Beano with Fleetwood Mac or Mayall era Green.

I also hear a lot of tradition in PG's playing - different influences from EC and a different approach to them, but to my ear there's no doubt Green did as much and as deep listening as Clapton.

Of course, at the end of the day they were both outstanding in their way

I'm not saying Green wasn't studied, or didn't have influences, just that they don't matter as much, with him.

The best way I know how to say what I'm trying to get across; Clapton was a purist, Green was pure.

I'm not slagging EC, at all. I think he was playing from a similar kind of emotional core on "Layla," but he was still gathering the tools for it on "Beano," imo.

Both were bad mofo's, though; otherwise, we wouldn't even be comparing them to one another.:thu:

Guitar Wars are kind of stupid, anyway. I just listened to that Green clip, connected to it, and felt like raving about it, for a little bit. On a different day, it could as easily be a Clapton clip that sent me off on the same tangent.

• Members

I've never heard of PG before I'd started posting here (if that says anything about his popularity outside of guitar circles) and I honestly can't say he does a whole lot for me. To add fuel to the fire, I have to say I find more to enjoy in Clapton's playing. I see why EC became a household name, and I can't say I see that in PG.

• Members

I've never heard of PG before I'd started posting here (if that says anything about his popularity outside of guitar circles) and I honestly can't say he does a whole lot for me. To add fuel to the fire, I have to say I find more to enjoy in Clapton's playing. I see why EC became a household name, and I can't say I see that in PG.

Had Clapton been schitzophrenic, he might not be a household name, either.