Weird Gibson semi-hollow

RomanS

• Members

Originally posted by Rick 381

Best I can find,

Built 71-75 Model 320TD Melody Maker value about $1600

The majority of Gibson Guitars made with Gibson embossed on the pick ups were made in 1972.

The 320TD was introduced in 1971 and discontinued in 1974 (10 were shipped in 1975).

• Members

Originally posted by daddymack

hmmm, I believe the p-ups are similar to the LP Recording model from the 70s. Interesting...no visible serial number on the headstock....

Actually I believe that those are Melody Maker pickups. Single coils with plastic, Gibson-embossed covers. I have a Melody maker pickup in my 40-year old Epiphone Granada. I also have two of those embossed covers. The low-impedence "Recording" pickups were much larger and wider.

I can't imagine what that guitar would sound like, but I would guess more Strat or Tele like than 335-like. Not your typical Gibson for sure!

• Members

I had one for a while... red, much like that one. Melody Maker pickups, one-piece neck, semi-hollow (like 335s, not hollow like the 330s)... for a while I had the collection of red, thinline gibsons... 330 (p-90s), 320 (melodies), 325 (mini-buckers) and 335 (full-size 'buckers)...

the 320 was a pretty mediocre guitar... the pickups weren't well-suited to the hollow-ness, and the pickup switching system wasn't very good, either.

My favorite was the 325, but the 335 is such a classic sound, too... the 330, being hollow, gave-up feedback too easy, and I couldn't really play it onstage.

• 3 years later...

Archived