Tele 3-saddle bridge: The intonation issue

jacobarber

• Members

I bought my girlfriend an Xaviere XV-620, which is the semi-hollow Telecaster clone. It's her 1st electric guitar, and she likes it quite a bit. Before giving it to her, I spent a few hours setting things up so it plays as nicely as my guitars. Well, I couldn't accomplish that the way I wanted. After new strings, adjusting the truss rod, pickup heights, and action, I tried to intonate. With the 3-saddle bridge, intonation just doesn't exist.

This is the 1st Tele I've ever dealt with, so I figured that it probably wouldn't give me any issues. After this experience, I cannot figure out why the {censored} anyone is making 3-saddle bridges anymore. It's like making a car with a clutch that purposely slips, or a TV with intentionally messed up colors.

I understand there is a "Telecaster sound" that so many people want to have, and that apparently the [brass] 3-saddle bridge is part of that equation. But is it seriously worth compromising a properly tuned instrument for 15% more twang? Even with compensated saddles, a Tele can't achieve intonation equal to a 6-saddle guitar.

So what is the deal with guitar makers still using 3-saddle bridges? Would it be possible to achieve the Telecaster sound by using a brass 6-saddle bridge and brass nut instead? What is the point in using horribly designed parts on both inexpensive and expensive guitars?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree...I would much rather give up a little bit of twang, or sound in general, to have a tele than I can intonate. All my teles are 6 saddle, as a result. A compensated might help some, but being able to totally adjust each saddle individually is more important to me.

• Members

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but compensated saddles are just a money making sceame. Think about it what did Page, Beck, Perkins, to name a few do when compensated saddles weren't invented yet. They made due. I use the Jerry Donahue method and have no need for compensated since doing this.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/tech-tips/saddle_up_your/

• Members

I use a tele with a non compensated 3 saddle bridge. 5 out of 6 are spot on intonation wise, my G gets a little sharp as I go up, but not much.

I prefer them myself. They look better, in my opinion, as well.

Use your ears a little and you'll never play out of tune.

• Members

For some weird reason my 3-saddle Tele sounds fine, even though it doesn't intonate with 100% accuracy. With each saddle half way between the intonation points of the two strings the errors are very small anyway. I would recommend using strings with a wound G in order to sweeten it up a bit - plain Gs often sound sour to me, even correctly intonated on 6-saddle guitars.

• Members

For some weird reason my 3-saddle Tele sounds fine, even though it doesn't intonate with 100% accuracy. With each saddle half way between the intonation points of the two strings the errors are very small anyway. I would recommend using strings with a wound G in order to sweeten it up a bit - plain Gs often sound sour to me, even correctly intonated on 6-saddle guitars.

I use a wound 3rd on all my electrics, but I put regular 10s on this guitar because I don't want my GF to get fatigued super quick. The G is definitely the worst of them, though.

Maybe its just me. I know I have very good relative pitch, and I can often hear when professional guitarists have out of tune strings. Drives me a little nuts sometimes. I'm going to abandon this 3-saddle bull{censored} and install a 6-saddle bridge ASAP.

• Members

mine intonate just fine. I use both Glendale and stock 52RI. Compensated is not a scam lol thats pretty funny. Glendales not only intonate better, they have thier own unique sound due to the way the saddles couple againts each other. If youd ever tried them youd hear it.

• Members

I know all about the purists, but I'd love to see a blind sound test done on this one. I am sure that there is some difference, but I doubt that it would make one sound like crap and one sound holy.

I prefer to just do it the easy and lazy way with the 6 brass saddles. Quick and accurate and stays in tune all the time.

The 3 brass saddles do look cool, but other than that I'll pass.

• Members

This set swivels in the middle for better intonation. They are expensive though. $43.00 for the saddles only.

Although my Telecaster came from the factory with compensated saddles, I couldn't get the intonation right.

I purchased those adjustable ones from Stewmac (just the saddles) and problem solved.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

thing is no matter what you do on any guitar the intonation is off at some fret and string - as other threads have mentioned the tempered guitar has inherit problems with intonation as do most string instruments.

Intonation at the twelth fret is not a solution its a compromise - as is any tuning methodology.

The 3 brass barrels with all their issues help make a Tele sound like a Tele to me. I have tried modern bridges with individual saddles - to me it no longer sounded like a tele - the old bridge went back on. YMMV

• Members

I'm an intonation snob only because I play mostly chords.

Seems most lead players, or players that play mostly "notes" have no problem with 3 saddle bridges. On the other hand, chord players tend to hate a 3 saddle bridge....

A slightly out of tune chord is "uglier" than a slightly out of tune note.

my 2 cents....

• Members

thing is no matter what you do on any guitar the intonation is off at some fret and string - as other threads have mentioned the tempered guitar has inherit problems with intonation as do most string instruments.

Intonation at the twelth fret is not a solution its a compromise - as is any tuning methodology.

The 3 brass barrels with all their issues help make a Tele sound like a Tele to me. I have tried modern bridges with individual saddles - to me it no longer sounded like a tele - the old bridge went back on. YMMV

This.

Personally, I think the 3x2 bridge is yet another ugly-looking element of an ugly-looking guitar, but I love how my Tele sounds and I have no intention of changing anything.

• Members

With the 3-saddle bridge, intonation just doesn't exist ... I
cannot
figure out why the {censored} anyone is making 3-saddle bridges anymore.

I somehow doubt that all of the millions of 3-barrel Telecasters out there are improperly intonated. No offense to anyone, but should all Teles be judged by the shortcomings of an inexpensive copy?

I replaced my 6-saddle bridge with a Wilkinson compensated 3-barrel from Guitar Fetish. Looks great, sounds great, intonates great.

• Members

I have two teles with 3-barrel saddles. Never had a problem with intonation. You just have to compromise, since you are doing two strings at once. But here's a revelation maybe for some of you: intonation is in any case a compromise, even on the most finely tuned saddles. It's called temperament, and it is one of the reasons some people turn to Indian classical music.

The advantages of having that tonality on a telecaster with the 3 saddles far far outweighs the slight disadvantage that your 13th fret barre chord might not be perfectly in tune.

I invite you to you to the Telecaster Forum - tdpri - and see how many people believe that the American Standard tele should still have a 3-barrel bridge - the vast majority of them.

• Members

I haven't had significant trouble with my uncompensated 3-saddle bridge either. Besides the Jerry Donahue scheme, I'd suggest the OP also experiment with the height of the saddles as a way to make fine adjustments: lowering one side of a saddle will shorten the string on that side.

Of course, if you don't want to bother with all the futzing, there's nothing wrong with 6-saddle bridges at all.

• Members

There is no magic tone-fairy dust in a three-barrel bridge. It is, quite simply, the cheapest, nastiest thing Leo could come up with that would work (sort of). The tele was designed to be easily fabricated by semi-skilled labor from easily produced parts, including stamped (as opposed to machined) metal parts like bridges, etc. I have owned six teles, with "traditional" as well as modern bridges, and I am totally convinced that Leo's original three-saddle design was a monstrosity. It is terribly fiddly, unstable, and not only almost impossible to intonate properly but also highly prone to problems with string height, etc. I have replaced the "traditional" bridges with modern, six-saddle bridges and have detected virtually NO diminution of tone -- the only noticeable difference is that chords are actually in tune all the way up the neck. I think the almost fanatical devotion to the original bridge design is simply a symptom of the almost hysterical conservatism that permeates the world of guitars, where the apotheosis of guitar design was supposedly reached before 1960, and everything since has been a decline. If the rest of the world behaved this way, we'd still be waiting for the tubes in our computers to warm up whilst replacing the ice blocks in our iceboxes to cool our beer......

Archived