How hard would it be to mod a pro junior for 6l6 tubes?

doc oc

• Members

Aren't Champs 6V6?

I have a Pro Junior and I hate it with a passion. I should get it looked at, no amp should be allowed to sound that bad.

doh.gif

You should get it looked at. The first Pro Jr I bought was terrible -- after about two days, I took it back to the store and exchanged it, and have been happy ever since!

• Members

Nothing is impossible, but it is improbable.

First off the Pro Jr's EL84 power tubes are much, much smaller; are noval (9-pin); and use a different tube socket than the large, octal (8-pin) 6L6GC. The Pro Jr. chassis is tight, I don't know if one can even fit two octal tube sockets.

Then you have to address the necessary extra filament current draw of the 6L6GC. Then the B+ voltage, while the 6L6GC can easily handle the B+ voltage of a PJ, they are usually run with a lot more to increase their headroom. Negative bias. And finally the small, limiting output transformer.

Honestly, I don't think power tubes have a heavy impact on the voice of the amp...I'm not saying they don't have any, just not the biggest...you can build a Super Reverb to run on El34's, KT66's, 6L6GC's, EL84's, 6V6's, or whatever and while their nuances and breakup may change some, it'll always sound like a Fender reverb combo. Vox did just that, they've built amps running on EL84's, 6L6GC's, EL34's and even SS power amps and they all sound like a Vox. The voice of an amp is in it's tone stack. And the Pro Jr has a slightly middy tone that leans more "Tweed Tone" and less "Fender Tone," adding 6L6GC's isn't going to make it sound any more like a BF Fender than it already doesn't.

• Members

I believe there's a jj sells a 6v6 that everyone says is really a weird spec'd 6l6. I've used them in a drri and they sound noticeably different than other 6v6 tubes. Might do the trick.

It would if Pro Jr's used 6V6's, which they don't.

• Members

Nothing is impossible, but it is improbable.

First off the Pro Jr's EL84 power tubes are much, much smaller; are noval (9-pin); and use a different tube socket than the large, octal (8-pin) 6L6GC. The Pro Jr. chassis is tight, I don't know if one can even fit two octal tube sockets.

Then you have to address the necessary extra filament current draw of the 6L6GC. Then the B+ voltage, while the 6L6GC can easily handle the B+ voltage of a PJ, they are usually run with a lot more to increase their headroom. Negative bias. And finally the small, limiting output transformer.

Honestly, I don't think power tubes have a heavy impact on the voice of the amp...I'm not saying they don't have any, just not a biggest...you can build a Super Reverb to run on El34's, KT66's, 6L6GC's, EL84's, 6V6's, or whatever and while their nuances and breakup may change some, it'll always sound like a Fender reverb combo. Vox did just that, they've built amps running on EL84's, 6L6GC's, EL34's and even SS power amps and they all sound like a Vox. The voice of an amp is in it's tone stack. And the Pro Jr has a slightly middy tone that leans more "Tweed Tone" and less "Fender Tone," adding 6L6GC's isn't going to make it sound any more like a BF Fender than it already doesn't.

per usual, wyatt is right on. and actually took the time and patience to write it all out...

tone is in the stack, not the tubes. try out a univalve and see what you think.

• Members

What don't you like about the amp?

If you want to change it for 6L6s then you'll be replacing almost everything apart from the cab, chassis and speaker (and maybe even that). You'll need new transformers (PT and OT) valve sockets and main board.

I'd be much more inclined to swap out the speaker first, maybe try some different valves. Really though you should just sell it if it's nowhere near what you want.

• Members

I actually like the middy tone. I have a twin too and this one is for a different type of sound. I want it to sound smoother and more 5e3 deluxe like rather than raspy and more marshall like if that makes any sense.

The volume is just about perfect though as is the eq balance. It's just harsh. Especially on the treble end.

What tubes and speakers would you guys suggest for it or should I just try a different amp?

• Members

I actually like the middy tone. I have a twin too and this one is for a different type of sound. I want it to sound smoother and more 5e3 deluxe like rather than raspy and more marshall like if that makes any sense.

The volume is just about perfect though as is the eq balance. It's just harsh. Especially on the treble end.

What tubes and speakers would you guys suggest for it or should I just try a different amp?

I would contact Weber. I use their speakers and they are a fantastic value. Shoot them a email and they will be able to hook you up. Tell them if you want early breakup, late breakup, woody tone, chimey etc. You can get their 10" sig series in alnico for 40 bucks and then go on up from there in terms of price.

• Members

I would contact Weber. I use their speakers and they are a fantastic value. Shoot them a email and they will be able to hook you up. Tell them if you want early breakup, late breakup, woody tone, chimey etc. You can get their 10" sig series in alnico for 40 bucks and then go on up from there in terms of price.

BINGO.

start with the speaker.

• Members

I've tried a few sets of tubes in my PJ and settled on JJ power tubes and a Ruby preamp tube and Sovtek PI. Nice crisp midrange punch, sounds a bit like a small Vox. I had a set of JJs in the front end that were graded for max headroom and sounded great (more complexity than the current set), but they only survived about 20-30 hours.

A Weber Blue Pup is on my wish list.

D

• Members

A Weber Blue Pup is on my wish list.

D

I haven't tried the Blue Pup, but I had the 12" Blue Dog (ceramic @ 100 watts) in a cab by itself for a while. It was awesome, and could pretty much handle anything I threw at it while sounding good. Now I have it in a 2x12 cab with a Silver Bell (ceramic @ 100 watts) and let me tell you, it is glorious. F'ing glorious.

• Members

I'd suggest either an Eminence Wizard (slightly mid-scooped, big tight bass, sweet highs) or a Cannabis Rex (smooth and dark tone, nice sweet mids with a bit of top end sparkle).

As for valves, you could try a 12AY7 in V1 for more of a 5E3 flavour. Lower gain than a 12AX7, and with a less raspy edge.

• Members

Also, what do you use the amp for? I have a couple of them kicking about, and every time I plug them in at home I find them brash and middy sounding. I started modding one, (triode/pentode switch, disconnected NFL etc) to try to make it sound "friendlier". I've since returned it to stock spec, as I've slowly come to realise although they sound ugly alone, they are perfectly voiced for lead guitar in a band context, they sit in the mix really well. I have some beautiful-sounding tube amps, but none of them seem to project as well as a PJ. I still A/B with another amp for rhythm though, PJs just don't have the depth.

Archived