So How Important is Rhythm in being a good guitarist?

scuzzo

• Members

I hear about you need to learn this and these and this mode and this form and these scales... but you almost never hear.. "YOU need to learn time".. i think thats a key thing in being an better player.. learning how to place your notes in time and phrases.. in short learn Rhythm.. you have all heard the cat who can run up and down the fret board like a track star but when asked to keep time to the song he is lost. just a mess.. thats what im really working on right now.. time..

so how are you at time and rhythm?

do you value a good feel for rhythm in guitar playing?

• Members

In my opinion Rhythm guitar is 95 percent of guitar playing even though most people get noticed for there lead playing ability...

It's kind of like a good bass player isn't really noticed until pointed out but without him the band would be lost..

If you are speaking of just having Rhythm in general it is very important ..But remember rhythm can be taught that's what they make metronomes for..

I have had students that looked like Steve Martin in the Jerk trying to keep time or Rhythm which ever you want to call it when they first started out...To being a accomplished guitar player a few years later.

• Members

I think it's easily the most important part of playing. You can make a song that sounds good with just a chord or two if you've got a good sense of time, but all the scales and modes in the world won't help you sound good if you can't put them where they need to be.

can't agree more

• Members

In a band situation, I can't think of a more crucial skill than a good sense of rhythm; to me, it's more important than speed, licks, or even tone.

If you can't play in the pocket when you need to (and play out of it when it's right for the song) it doesn't much matter what else you
can
do.

+1

And heck, even if you're playing by yourself it's crucial that you are able to convey a good feel for rhythm, timing, phrasing or what have you. Otherwise it all just sounds like mechanical strumming and aimless noodling.

• Members

you think anyone here is going to say it's not important? come on...

no but its rarely mentioned.. i mean keeping 4/4 time is easy but when you add accents and play on the back beat or just ahead of the beat or in odd measure.. then it starts to get a bit more of a trick now if you add on to that a second rythm that runs counter to the first.. even more of a trick.. its like a delay pedal can be a super cool thing to have but if you step out of time with it... thats a train wreck..

its an over looked fundamental that i though perhaps need a thread..