Seymour Duncan Phat Cat or Gibson P-94?

Bruvtilov

• Members

Hello everybody,

I want to replace the stock 490 humbuckers in my mahogany-rosewood Gibson Special SG Faded with humbucker-sized P-90s.

Which of the two would you guys recommend and why? Change to Seymour Duncan Phat Cats or stay with Gibson and get P-94S?

Thanks,

Robert

• Members

Of the two you mentioned, the Phat Cats are the sweeter pickups. I've tried both (the P-94's in a used Gibson Studio and the Phat Cats in a Hamer semi-hollow) and the PC's were much nicer.

Also check BG Pickups' humbucker-sized P-90's: he makes a great pickup and he offers a discount to forum members.

• Members

if you want it to sound like a classic p90, stay far away from the Duncans

I've had a p94 for a decade, great pup

if I were buying today, I'd talk to BG first - he'll take into account what you personally are seeking - the others either fit or they don't

• Members

I've seen SD Phat Cats liven up the deadest of LP Studios it's almost scandalous. That being said, jjpistols is right: they're fairly bright and chimey compared to P94s, with a "hot Strat" kind of feel rather than what any of us would associate with a P90's honking snarl.

• Members

I've had the Phat Cats, didn't like them. I have a set of P94s, love them. I'm guessing that Bryan's version is killer, based on how much I like my BG P90s, as well as all the comments on that particular model here in this forum. Another good option would be Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe. Good stuff there too.

• 7 years later...
  • Members
if you want it to sound like a classic p90, stay far away from the Duncans

I've had a p94 for a decade, great pup

if I were buying today, I'd talk to BG first - he'll take into account what you personally are seeking - the others either fit or they don't

I tend to agree with this. If you're after a true and original P90 sound then the Phat Cat's might not be for you. They're a bit brighter, especially in the bridge position. Having said that, I have a set of Phat cat pickups in my Les Paul and it sounds amazing! :D2

Maybe check out the sound of the phat cat's here to see if it suits your taste.

Archived