Jazz Fusion recommendations?

ak47dragunov

• Members

afec1363ada01e4fb42ad010.L.jpg

herbie-hancock-head_hunters_album.jpg

There's no guitar on the second one, but who cares. You gotta get over that. They're just musical ideas, and they're the same ideas regardless of instrumentation. Nevertheless, it's one of the best groove-based records of all-time in my opinion.

This is kind of a weird thread. "Jazz fusion" is totally nebulous really, and you could call just about any improvisational music played by jazz musicians "jazz fusion". Also, there's really not a stereotypical "sound" to be into or to NOT be into. That said, RTF, Mahavishnu, certain Miles, Herbie, etc. occasionally sound similar.

• Members

Ali+De+Meola+-+Elegant+Gypsy.jpg

Take a shot at "Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway"

Hahaha! I remember when I first heard Al DiMeola. He play guitar faster than I play air guitar was the joke. This is a great album.

Recommended listening:

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mountain Flame

Jean Luc Ponty - anything with Allan Holdsworth

Billy Cobham - Spectrum

• Members

Mahavishnu Orchestra: Birds Of Fire

Great stuff but personally I wouldn't call that "moderately" difficult. I'd call it insanely difficult :lol:. If you can play that like John McLaughlin then major kudos!

How about Zappa's Peaches En Regalia - does that count as fusion?

• Members

Well you asked about stuff to play...stuff to get you started....Stuff that's no too hard to play...Tunes that a rock musician can play and understand with a little work.

Jeff Beck - Led Boots, Blue Wind, Freeway Jam

Pat Metheney - Phase Dance, Unity Village

John Scofield - Wabash, Chank,

Herbie Hancock - These tunes were done as jazz, but folks play them as funk and funky rock tunes - Watermelon Man, Cantaloupe Island, and Maiden Voyage

Eric Johnson - Manhattan

Miles Davis - It is also real common to take these tunes and make em funky or rocked out - So What, Jean Pierre, Impressions (actually a Coltrane tune)

And here's an obscure pick, try Jing Chi's Hong Kong Incident (With Robben Ford, Vinnie Coliauta, and Jimmy Haslip). It's a great riff based fusion tune.

Also check out tunes by Soulive - their changes in their stuff is jazz, but not too crazy, and found in a lot of R&B stuff, so fairly easy to figure out. And EARLY Galactic, too.

And when it comes to listening, fuze headz still listen to DISCS. Here's a sampling of disc titles that are considered standard listening. There's more, but this'll gitcha started:

John Scofield - Blue Matter

Pat Metheney - Travels

Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue, 16 Men of Tain, or anything really....

John Mcglaughlin - Mahavishnu Orchestra/Inner Mounting Flame, or most anything really...

Mike Stern - Play, These Times

Yellowjackets - Yellowjackets

Dixie Dregs - What If

Shawn Lane - Personae

Al DiMeola - Land of the Rising Sun and with Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

Bruford - One Of A Kind

Tribal Tech - Illicit

Larry Carlton - Larry Calton

Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes

Screaming Headless Torsos - Screaming Headless Torsos

Players like Bill Frisell, Charlie Hunter, Greg Howe, Brett Garsed, and all the others mentioned in the posts by everybody else here will give you plenty to listen to.

Fusion music gets a bad rap, but it's mostly from folks who just don't get it. At it's best, it is full of genius level creativity, brilliant musicianship, and intense interplay during improvisation, and amazing attention to detail. Fuze heads are few and far between, so there is virtually noconsideration for the market, keeping the genre pretty much industry bull{censored} free. LONG LIVE THE FUZE!!!!!!!:):):)

Archived