What's a good tremolo

guitarboyled

• Members

My bros had a Floyd Rose on his old Kramer without the little saddle block insert. Are those still available?

He would just insert the strings from the back of the tremolo and the ball end would keep it place (like pretty much all other bridges) So no need to cut them first and jam them into the blocks.

• Members

They've got a few out there that are like that or similar. I remember GFS sold one like that, but the ball end went through the fine tuner arm on the trem.

As for the original question, it's got to be double locking to pull that stuff off and to be honest I've never ran into one that wasn't usable; including the licensed stuff. Some of them need some massaging, some won't last as long, but you don't really have to spend OFR money to get a good locking tremolo.

The biggest weakness is usually the trem posts themselves and having coarse threads that create some slop. A little teflon tape or new posts do wonders. A good setup is also imperative to get it to work well.

• Members

My favorite locking trems go like this:

1 - Ibanez Edge Pro
2 - Schaller Floyd Rose
3 - OFR

There is no 4. The Edge Pro is the best double locking trem ever made. It feels amazing and is completely rebuildable. The Schaller wins over the OFR because of the feel. It's made from heavier steel (and softer, unfortunately, so you have to be careful) which gives it a more solid feel. The OFR is a distant 3rd for me because they feel rather stiff. They're rock solid, but I prefer the feel of the other two choices.

For non-locking trems, my only choice is a Wilky.

• Members
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone used one of these:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/nehedudulofl.html
?

I'm curious about the tuning stability on the GFS FRs.

I installed one on my Thunderstorm, it Kicks Ass for the money :thu: The Only thing I don't like about it, is the bar screws in. Go for it man, they're easy to install, and built super tough. No problems to report with mine.

• Members
I installed one on my Thunderstorm, it Kicks Ass for the money
:thu:
The Only thing I don't like about it, is the bar screws in. Go for it man, they're easy to install, and built super tough. No problems to report with mine.

Sounds good, thanks for the detailed response.

Archived