All of what you want, none of what you don't

golias

• Members

Okay, suppose the CEO of some amp company gives you the opportunity to design your own amp, like that episode when Homer Simpson got to design his own car.

Ignoring absolutely everything about market demand, cost, ease of manufacture, potential technical issues, etc., and making one specific to your tastes, what would features would you put in it?

For me:

Open-back 2x10" combo, 30W

EL84 Power stage w/ bright, "Fender"-ish voicing.

12ax7 Gain stage w/ separate EQ

Spring reverb

Analog stereo chorus

Standby switch

Tilt-back stand

Variable attenuator

Analog (VU-style) tuner

• Members

Foot switchable three channel modular preamp with a clean, vintage, and modern switches on each channel.

Dedicated 3 band eq on all channels.

Individual channel gain and volume on each channel.

Master volume.

Foot switchable boost which could be programmed by channel to be pre or post.

Foot switchable effects loop assignable by channel.

High quality reverb assignable by channel.

Dual 10's in a small enclosure which sounded huge.

Weight under 30 pounds.

• Members

Mine would have an R.P.G. launcher

It would be shaped like a giant birthday cake where dancing girls popped out of

it would be made out of a solid block of ice so I could use it as a vodka luge

It would have an outboard motor atatched so I could float it down the river in the Gasparilla parade, it would have a huge pipe organ atatched so Beethoven could give a live "back from the dead" organ transcription of his entire ninth symphony,

and then it would have amphibeous banana split mobile like atv tires on it so we could drive it all the way through the woods up to Rayford prison at which time we would bust all the prisoners out, Take over the Whitehose, put the ENTIRE government in irons, and then,

Then would would Mother F#$%K^$%&ING

PARTY!!!!!!!

You know, since we are fantasizing.

• Members

50 watts with adjustable wattage down to 1 watt adjustable independently for each channel like the Egnater rebel 30.

Two channel

Clean channel voiced like a Fender twin reverb.

Dirty channel...hrmm...lots of options here but I'd like it to have adjustable voicings like some of the Mesa amps so I can choose between a harder rock to metal sound or a southern rock voicing.

Separate 3-band eq per channel. The usual - bass, mid, treble. Also a presence switch.

Footswitchable boost with adjustable boost level per channel. On the dirty channel the boost should also be able to boost the gain and mids in addition to the volume.

Reverb. Don't care if it's spring or digital.

Variable ohm setting so I can use any combination of cabs - basically something like a built in Weber Z-Matcher.

FX loop.

4 button footswitch would control channel, boost, dirty channel voicing, and reverb.

Matching 1x12 or 2x10 convertible cabs.

• Members

Foot switchable three channel modular preamp with a clean, vintage, and modern switches on each channel.

Dedicated 3 band eq on all channels.

Individual channel gain and volume on each channel.

Master volume.

Foot switchable boost which could be programmed by channel to be pre or post.

Foot switchable effects loop assignable by channel.

High quality reverb assignable by channel.

Dual 10's in a small enclosure which sounded huge.

Weight under 30 pounds.

I think I like yours except I'd add the wattage attenuator assignable per channel and adjustable boost level also linkable to the gain.

• Members

Mine would have an R.P.G. launcher

It would be shaped like a giant birthday cake where dancing girls popped out of

it would be made out of a solid block of ice so I could use it as a vodka luge

It would have an outboard motor atatched so I could float it down the river in the Gasparilla parade, it would have a huge pipe organ atatched so Beethoven could give a live "back from the dead" organ transcription of his entire ninth symphony,

and then it would have amphibeous banana split mobile like atv tires on it so we could drive it all the way through the woods up to Rayford prison at which time we would bust all the prisoners out, Take over the Whitehose, put the ENTIRE government in irons, and then,

Then would would Mother F#$%K^$%&ING

PARTY!!!!!!!

You know, since we are fantasizing.

:lol:

Jesus - it's been a while since I've laughed that hard.

• Members

For me:

Spring reverb

Analog stereo chorus

Standby switch

Tilt-back stand

Variable attenuator

Analog (VU-style) tuner

I think you pretty much nailed it. Maybe have Channel 2 be a classic Marshall voice and we are in business.

• Members

I'd like a 2 channel head with different voiced preamps that you could switch between (Fender style, Vox style, Marshall style, and maybe SLO style).

I'd like it to have 2 EL34's, 2 6L6's and 2 or 4 EL84's with individual power amp circuitry that you can switch between at the flick of a switch, allowing you to mix and match preamp and power amp.

It'd need to have a good frequency compensated attenuator.

Nice valve-driven spring reverb.

I'd like a nice footswitchable boost on each channel too.

For the cab I'd probably go for a 4X12 with 2 G12H-30's and two Jensen P12N's in an X pattern, with switching so that I can either run all 4 speakers, or just the Celestions, or just the Jensens. It'd also have removable sections at the back so I can turn it into a semi-open back cab.

• Members

Okay, suppose the CEO of some amp company gives you the opportunity to design your own amp, like that episode when Homer Simpson got to design his own car.

Ignoring absolutely everything about market demand, cost, ease of manufacture, potential technical issues, etc., and making one specific to your tastes, what would features would you put in it?

For me:

Spring reverb

Analog stereo chorus

Standby switch

Tilt-back stand

Variable attenuator

Analog (VU-style) tuner

Make the 10's 12's and have them send me the second one built, please. :thu:

• Members

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=gh100l

^ Put that in unmarked tweed casing.

EDIT: Actually, I lied.

I'd combine a Fender Bassman with a Laney GH100L. Basically have a footswitch that would allow me to switch between them. It'd look similar to this:

Input - Clean Channel - {Lo-gain Bright Channel - Fender Bassman}

- Dirty Channel - {GH100L}

I'd probably also try to fit an old Fender reverb box in there as well.

Archived