All Ibanez S going 24!!!

dimibetan

• Members

http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-s

Before, it was only the Prestige series that the S made to 24.

They have finally made it to other S models.

Funny, I cant believe it myself. I actually counted all of the frets of each model.:facepalm:

S770PBNTF.gif

S570DXQMBBB.gif

S570DXQMTGB.gif

S570BRD.gif

S570BWH.gif

S420WK.gif

S7420BK.gif

All 24-fretted plus equiped with the ZR trem and Zero Point System, what do you think would happen to the RG?

• Members

All 24-fretted plus equiped with the ZR trem and Zero Point System, what do you think would happen to the RG?

I thought all RG's were already 24 frets. My '91 is. Do you mean the trem? For some reason I can't imagine an RG without an Edge of some flavor.

• Members

...the neck PU seems to lose a bit of warmth when shoved back for those extra frets.

I was thinking of that also... Best, for me, would be HSS or HS (True SC's or SC-sized HB's) on 24-fretted guitars.

That's also why JS chose his 24-fretted guitar to be this:

JS2400WH.gif

• Members

I've been curious about the Herman Li guitar, i saw an interview where he said they custom wound the neck pickup to keep the warmth you'd get with the 22 fret pu position.

I saw the one above this one, the 3.5k model, the store where I teach sold one a couple weeks ago. My jem looked cheap in comparison, and as usual perfect craftsmanship.

Haven't played it, just hold it in my hands, and it was a fine axe.

• Members

I'm happy they're going to 24 frets and I will very likely pick one up to go with my Prestige RG3550MZ. For soloing the extra bit of useful neck is just nice to have. Doesn't mean 22 is bad by any means, or that I won't buy more 22 fret guitars, but if I have an A/B choice between 22 frets and 24 frets on the same guitar, I'm taking the 24 every time.

I'm also kind of baffled :idk: about all this malarkey about bridge pickup tone on 22 versus 24 fret necks. I have a pile of both types and honestly there's just no appreciable difference in tone - well other than you would expect based on pickup types. It's just another voodoo belief among the guitarist community. We have plenty enough of those. :facepalm:

• Members

I'm also kind of baffled
:idk:
about all this malarkey about bridge pickup tone on 22 versus 24 fret necks. I have a pile of both types and honestly there's just no appreciable difference in tone - well other than you would expect based on pickup types. It's just another voodoo belief among the guitarist community. We have plenty enough of those.
:facepalm:

I don't remember anybody saying anything about the bridge pup. Neck yes, but bridge? :idk:

• Members

I'm torn about this. I'll be buying a new guitar in the next month or so. It is either going to be one of these new S models, the S420 to be exact, or a Sterling by MusicMan AX40 in blue.

There are pros and cons to each. Love the neck on the AX40. Love the ZR trem and 24 frets on the S.

Can't have both unfortunately.

• Members

You absolutely loose some neck pickup tone with 24 frets using the same pickup compared to 22. I make sure to have a very warm pickup for the neck on my 24 fretters, although of course, they would sound even better in 22 fret guitars.

The PAF Pro as used in JEMs and Blaze II as used in Universe guitars are good example of pickups that make up for the 24 frets rather well.

• Members

Sucks. They messed it up a bit with this IMO, but I guess last year's SV's sold well enough that they decided to make them all 24-fret. I mean, for years I wished they'd make a 24-fret S-series, but making them all 24-fret isn't good IMO.

Why not just leave the S models as 22 fret and have the SVs for 24-fret models? :confused:

So now the only ones you can still get in 22-fret models it seems are the cheaper SA models. :idk:

I guess if you want a good 22-fret S-series, get in while there's still '09 stock around. :idk:

A 7-string 24-fret S-series could be interesting though... :o

• Members

Sucks. They messed it up a bit with this IMO, but I guess last year's SV's sold well enough that they decided to make them all 24-fret. I mean, for years I wished they'd make a 24-fret S-series, but making them all 24-fret isn't good IMO.

Why not just leave the S models as 22 fret and have the SVs for 24-fret models?
:confused:

So now the only ones you can still get in 22-fret models it seems are the cheaper SA models.

I guess if you want a good 22-fret S-series, get in while there's still '09 stock around.

A 7-string 24-fret S-series could be interesting though...
:o

I like it better, I cant hear the 22-24 fret neck PU difference so I dont care.

• Members

Seriously? I needs more details. A new JEM is high on my potential list this year, and I didn't think there was anything cheap about them. Especially at $2500!

I have a jem 77v, which is worth every cent of it's price tag, and I think it's beautiful (I don't like the white one very much), awesome trem, love the DiMarzio Breed, beyond awesome guitar.

The Herman Li model, with that finish on the flamed maple looks really good in person, the zero trem looks really solid and high tech comparing to the Jem one (which is already better looking than the OFR), but I'm talking about looks.

The neck felt prestige, you know what I mean if you ever played an ibanez prestige, but not the same specs as the jem neck (which I like because it's wider), and can't say anything about the sound or playability because haven't played it.

009C.JPG

0112.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

I like it better, I cant hear the 22-24 fret neck PU difference so I dont care.

There certainly is a difference, albeit I guess subtle.

I just think they should have had a mix of 24 and 22 fret models in the upper end. But yeah, I guess those SVs sold really well in '09, coz I don't see why scrap they'd scrap all the 22-fretters (after all these years of the S-series being that) in favour of 24s. :idk:

Archived