All Ibanez S going 24!!!

dimibetan

• Members

All of the JEMs (except the UV77RE - which is a reissue) have the JEM Prestige neck and as far as I know, they're made by the same people in the same factory as the RG Prestige (and JCustom) line. They all come in Prestige cases too and (mostly) have genuine DiMarzio pups, so (JEM cosmetics aside) it is hard to see much difference from the RG Prestige line. The JEMS are also more expensive than most of the RG prestige line too but some of that has to be attributed to the Vai connection.

• Members

Thanks for the writeup. So Jem's don't get the Prestige treatment? Sux for being such a high-end model.

Edit: Maybe the new ones do. Says "JEM Prestige" on Ibanez.com

They do, they are high end models made in Fujigen like every prestige. The Jem has a wider neck, comparing to the wizard, different specs, that's why I got the jem and not the higher end rg's, there is a model very similar except the superfluous stuff like inlays, grip but with the wizard neck.

Believe me, it's worth every cent, and I payed around 3k, here in Europe.

• Members

All of the JEMs (except the UV77RE - which is a reissue) have the JEM Prestige neck and as far as I know, they're made by the same people in the same factory as the RG Prestige (and JCustom) line. They all come in Prestige cases too and (mostly) have genuine DiMarzio pups, so (JEM cosmetics aside) it is hard to see much difference from the RG Prestige line. The JEMS are also more expensive than most of the RG prestige line too but some of that has to be attributed to the Vai connection.

And they have that model, the jem jr, made in Korea, the 555's. Ok guitar, but not a Jem, for that price I'd go prestige RG.

I played one with a couple years and floyd was crap, unless you buying for the signature or the looks, get the real thing.

• Members

Sucks. They messed it up a bit with this IMO, but I guess last year's SV's sold well enough that they decided to make them all 24-fret...

...And what will happen this year that they have this now?

046.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

048.JPG

Before, I'd wished that the S5470 had a flamed top with trans blue color like the SV5470F-NBL which I liked. I hope, this year, I can save enough money to buy me one of these. :love: :love: :love:

• Members

You absolutely loose some neck pickup tone with 24 frets using the same pickup compared to 22. I make sure to have a very warm pickup for the neck on my 24 fretters, although of course, they would sound even better in 22 fret guitars.

Massive +1 to this...I'm of the same mind on this...tis why I sold my PRS Custom 24...then bought a PRS Custom 22. When you actually think how often you may use those 2 extra frets...then look at the trade off in a tone that you will want to use often ie the neck pickup, I see it is a trade off not worthwhile. I do also own a 24 fret RG Prestige, and sold my S540...once I got a JS1000..as I preferred the JS's tone to the S...but they both are 22 so thats more a tonewood choice really for me. As far as the move to 24 on all S guitars IMO thats not a good move for the reasons stated above.

• Members

It is a veneer...the body is too thin for it to be anything else. They are nice guitars nonetheless. My old S540fm was definately a veneer and i'm sure these will be no different.

Im a little n00b to know veneers... Is this a one of those (the red version)?

!BhhKHow!mk~$(KGrHqUOKiUErzh3hD(4BLJft05

!BhhKGRw!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKkIErygVWNZSBLJftoH

!BhhKJTw!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKjQErzIYnukLBLJfuHI

!BhhJ-VwCGk~$(KGrHqMOKj8Eryu9wyd4BLJfsZn

• Members

...weeeeell.... depends on your definition of "veneer". Practically every solid body guitar that has a figured wood top has either a solid "cap" of that wood (let's say maple) that is glued onto a mahogany, alder, basswood (or whatever) body. Or, it has a "veneer" which is usually an extremely thin layer of the same wood. At what point is the cap thin enough to be considered a veneer? And since its purpose is purely cosmetic, do you really care?

For what its worth, on these higher end models, particularly if there is binding around the body, it is more likely to be a solid cap. I have one guitar with a quilted maple veneer and it does not have any binding. Others (like my LP) do have a solid cap and also have binding, so I tend to look on the presence/absence of binding as a clue to whether it's a solid cap or a veneer.

• Members

...weeeeell.... depends on your definition of "veneer". Practically every solid body guitar that has a figured wood top has either a solid "cap" of that wood (let's say maple) that is glued onto a mahogany, alder, basswood (or whatever) body. Or, it has a "veneer" which is usually an extremely thin layer of the same wood. At what point is the cap thin enough to be considered a veneer? And since its purpose is purely cosmetic, do you really care?

For what its worth, on these higher end models, particularly if there is binding around the body, it is more likely to be a solid cap. I have one guitar with a quilted maple veneer and it does not have any binding. Others (like my LP) do have a solid cap and also have binding, so I tend to look on the presence/absence of binding as a clue to whether it's a solid cap or a veneer.

If it was a solid maple cap, you'd be able to see it in the cutaways. Look at the old RGA121s that had a big maple cap on a mahogany body. The natural finish makes it more obvious to see the difference between the two woods. The maple cap on that is pretty damn thick in the middle. On the S-series there, you can see it's all the one piece of wood below the binding.

Actually, is that even binding, or have they just masked off a strip around the edge before the red went on? :confused:

Archived