'52 Goldtop for $7000?

fuzztone

• Members

Since it's a player anyway, one could buy that, have an neck angle problems fixed, use what bridge they wanted (including the trapeze) and it would still hold it's value.

Should be sweet sounding, those are the older, cleaner A2 P-90's. Have a few of those in Gibson lap steels.

• Members

Yea and it sucks because to make it intonate correctly, you have to "devalue" the instrument by replacing the bridge.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with doing that kind of work on it to make it play better. I think it would be worth it to me personally to put a standard tune-o-matic on there to make it playable....even if it cost me a few thousand dollars in collector mojo because it wasn't original anymore.

Maybe there's some way of doing it so that it's reversable.

• Members

Yea and it sucks because to make it intonate correctly, you have to "devalue" the instrument by replacing the bridge.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with doing that kind of work on it to make it play better. I think it would be worth it to me personally to put a standard tune-o-matic on there to make it playable....even if it cost me a few thousand dollars in collector mojo because it wasn't original anymore.

Maybe there's some way of doing it so that it's reversable.

The neck angle on many of those is so shallow that even to convert it to a TOM you still have to have a neck reset done to get the proper angle.

• Members

The neck angle on many of those is so shallow that even to convert it to a TOM you still have to have a neck reset done to get the proper angle.

Yea, but maybe... like I said, there's some other bridge that could be designed to work that would offer up better intonation and be short enough to fit on those posts but offer the right height, and at the same time be reversable back to original. A true tune-o-matic would require drilling into the top for the stud mount and that would really devalue to guitar.

I'm basically thinking of a replacement "cylinder" without the smooth rounded top but instead little ridges at the right locations for better intonation. A machinist might be able to fashion something out of nickle that would look correct and make the guitar playable.

• Members

seems like a screaming deal at $7k to me. If the case, tuners, pots, truss rod cover, knobs, etc. are all original, the parts alone are close to that. Plus looking at wood where the fore-arm wear is it looks like it may have a real nice top (old wood burst conversions are worth quite a bit too.)

I personally don't like when guitars this old are chopped up, but I can see how some would be tempted.

• Members

seems like a screaming deal at $7k to me. If the case, tuners, pots, truss rod cover, knobs, etc. are all original, the parts alone are close to that. Plus looking at wood where the fore-arm wear is it looks like it may have a real nice top (old wood burst conversions are worth quite a bit too.)

I personally don't like when guitars this old are chopped up, but I can see home some would be tempted.

Yeah,I mean,the case alone must be worth $2500? Here is the auction

• Members

Yea, but maybe... like I said, there's some other bridge that could be designed to work that would offer up better intonation and be short enough to fit on those posts but offer the right height, and at the same time be reversable back to original. A true tune-o-matic would require drilling into the top for the stud mount and that would really devalue to guitar.

I'm basically thinking of a replacement "cylinder" without the smooth rounded top but instead little ridges at the right locations for better intonation. A machinist might be able to fashion something out of nickle that would look correct and make the guitar playable.

Actually...the original trapeze does have studs the go into the body, but they're small in diameter like a TOM and if you fashioned a bridge to go on them I doubt the could handle the pressure of the string pull without having some kind of stop tailpiece mounted behind it.

• Members

I'm thinking something like this in nickel....as long as it was short enough and didn't require drilling thicker holes in the face of the guitar to accomodate the posts. Would that be so hard to make?

03-01030-lg.jpg

Another idea: replace the tailpiece with a Bigsby and just drop an intonatable roller bridge in instead of that wrap around bridge.

I bet it would work.

Archived