Name some 80's guitarists that just faded away and were never heard from again.

Coralkong

• Members

Dude, why is it you drop this little insinuation every chance you get? You sound really paranoid. I'm fairly sure HC isn't a front for a white supremacist group or anything.

PS - a lot the "grungies" you like to put down (Pearl Jam, AIC, Dave Grohl, Chris Cornell) are still releasing musically significant albums that sell well. Not a lot of 80's hair metal acts can claim this. Though some of their tell-all biographies are quite entertaining.

It's not an insinuation, it's a fact that there are a couple anti-Semites here. It sickens me, as does any form of racism. Send me a PM and I'll fill you in.

I didn't refer to any grungies by name. There were good and bad of both, don't get me wrong. I guess it's just the fact that grunge lasted about 2 years and metal seemed to be around for a lot longer.

While people always point to Nirvana changing the world in 1991. I think their record probably came out then, but in 1991 the top 100 songs of the year included More Than Words (Extreme), High Enough (Damn Yankees), Love Of A Lifetime (Firehouse), Something To Believe In (Poison), Silent Lucidity (Queensryche), I Saw Red (Warrent) and Miles Away (Winger).

Was grunge king in 1992? Not really. November Rain (Guns N' Roses), Everything About You (Ugly Kid Joe), Have You Ever Needed Somone So Bad (Def Leppard), When I Look Into Your Eyes (Firehouse) and Let's Get Rocked (Def Leppard) were all big.

Smells Like Teen Spirit was #34 of the top 100 that year. To put it into context, Humpin' Around (Bobby Brown) was number 33 and Come & Talk To Me (Jodeci) was number 32. I'm sure I would know Jodeci if I heard them, but in 1992 it was more popular then Nirvana.

In fact, Rico Suave ranked higher in the charts then Nirvana.

By 1993 grunge has pretty much vanished. The exception being Soul Asylum's Runaway Train (#22). The top spots are all rap/hip hop (Dr. Dre, Bobby Brown, Shai, SWV, etc...).

Def Leppard, Ugly Kid Joe and Aerosmith are still hanging around with Two Steps Behind, Cat's in the Cradle and Cryin' and Livin' On The Edge.

The Gin Blossoms' Hey Jealousy is way towards the top, but so is Green Jelly's Three Little Pigs. Not sure if the GB were considered grunge (I saw them in 93 and they were great) but I think GJ were kind of metal.

In 1994 there is no grunge on the charts. Aerosmith had a couple hits and Bon Jovi had a hit with Always.

I think Curt Kobain killed himself and grunge was dead.

All info was taken from Billboard's hot 100.

Grunge was cool when it happened and it was a neat time to be in bands and stuff but I don't remember metal being uncool until 93 or 94. More people were getting into grunge around then but that didn't last that long.

Had Kurt Cobain not killed himself I doubt we would be talking about it. Like metal, there were couple cool bands and a lot of crap that jumped on the bandwagon.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not an insinuation, it's a fact that there are a couple anti-Semites here. It sickens me, as does any form of racism. Send me a PM and I'll fill you in.

I didn't refer to any grungies by name. There were good and bad of both, don't get me wrong. I guess it's just the fact that grunge lasted about 2 years and metal seemed to be around for a lot longer.

While people always point to Nirvana changing the world in 1991. I think their record probably came out then, but in 1991 the top 100 songs of the year included More Than Words (Extreme), High Enough (Damn Yankees), Love Of A Lifetime (Firehouse), Something To Believe In (Poison), Silent Lucidity (Queensryche), I Saw Red (Warrent) and Miles Away (Winger).

Was grunge king in 1992? Not really. November Rain (Guns N' Roses), Everything About You (Ugly Kid Joe), Have You Ever Needed Somone So Bad (Def Leppard), When I Look Into Your Eyes (Firehouse) and Let's Get Rocked (Def Leppard) were all big.

Smells Like Teen Spirit was #34 of the top 100 that year. To put it into context, Humpin' Around (Bobby Brown) was number 33 and Come & Talk To Me (Jodeci) was number 32. I'm sure I would know Jodeci if I heard them, but in 1992 it was more popular then Nirvana.

In fact, Rico Suave ranked higher in the charts then Nirvana.

By 1993 grunge has pretty much vanished. The exception being Soul Asylum's Runaway Train (#22). The top spots are all rap/hip hop (Dr. Dre, Bobby Brown, Shai, SWV, etc...).

Def Leppard, Ugly Kid Joe and Aerosmith are still hanging around with Two Steps Behind, Cat's in the Cradle and Cryin' and Livin' On The Edge.

The Gin Blossoms' Hey Jealousy is way towards the top, but so is Green Jelly's Three Little Pigs. Not sure if the GB were considered grunge (I saw them in 93 and they were great) but I think GJ were kind of metal.

In 1994 there is no grunge on the charts. Aerosmith had a couple hits and Bon Jovi had a hit with Always.

I think Curt Kobain killed himself and grunge was dead.

All info was taken from Billboard's hot 100.

Grunge was cool when it happened and it was a neat time to be in bands and stuff but I don't remember metal being uncool until 93 or 94. More people were getting into grunge around then but that didn't last that long.

Had Kurt Cobain not killed himself I doubt we would be talking about it. Like metal, there were couple cool bands and a lot of crap that jumped on the bandwagon.

Interesting perspective. Good analysis of what has become accepted fact.

• Members

I saw the Stray Cats a few times and they were great - saw Phantom, Rocker and Smith and left saying Brian who???

If you can find the three PRS records (PRS, Cover Girl, Enough) and the one Stray Cats record Earl Slick played on you should check them out.

• Members

vinnie vincent

Al Pitrelli

Michael Denner (King Diamond/ Mercyful Fate)

Zakk wylde (he definitely isnt the same player)

Michael Denner owns a music shop in Copenhagen, Denmark. One hell of a nice guy too. Did a Demonica Cd with Hank Shermann a few years back. Great album. You can order it directly from Hank's website.

As far as Vinnie Vincent goes...well

http://www.myspace.com/vinnie1vincent

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vinnie-Vincent/20229053319#!/pages/Vinnie-Vincent/20229053319?v=wall

and this...:lol:....http://www.guitarworld.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=63035

Zakk needs to lay off the booze a bit.

Al Pitrelli....http://www.trans-siberian.com/about/band.php

• Members

I believe Jon Norum is back with Europe. They've released some pretty good album's...a bit darker/heavier than their 80's stuff.

Dann Huff is one of the top producers in Nashville and is still one of the best guitarists alive, and I believe there is a new Giant record coming out this year.

Again, a ton of these bands/players are still active and still doing what they love. You can't blame them for being what they were back then....it was what was popular and although i know "true musicians/artists" always only do their own original thing and are never swayed by popular opinion...let's face it, most people start playing music because they want to play like a certain band/player. The ones who couldn't adapt faded away or are milking the nostalgia....the ones that could are still making good, sometimes great music.

Richie Kotzen is a perfect example...he's like the poster child for 80's shred. started out on shrapnel, on the cover of every guitar magazine, got the big band gig....then found himself and has released consistently great rock album's for years. he's one of my fav players, and has found a way to adapt and make music he loves while remaining a brilliant guitarist.

Archived