Name some 80's guitarists that just faded away and were never heard from again.

Coralkong

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jake E Lee just released a blues album in 05...and another in 08

He has some killer sig pick ups :evil:

Made for him by Stevens Design Pick Ups.

http://www.sdpickups.com/humbuckers.shtml

And the missing in action guys :

The guy from Alcatrazz

The guy from Angelwitch

The guy from Asia

The guy from Balaam And The Angel

The guy from Bang Tango

The guy from Battle Axe

The guy from Blassed Death

The guy from Blue Murder

The guy from Bonfire

The guy from Bulldozer

The guy from Bulletboys

The guy from Carnivore

The guy from Cobra

The guy from Cryptic Slaughter

The guy from Danger Danger

The guy from Dangerious Toys

The guy from Dark Angel

The guy from Dark Star

The guy from Dan Reed Network

The guy from Dogs D' Armour

The guy from Dr. Mastermind

The guy from Dragon

The guy from Europe

The guy from Exciter

The guy from Excodus

The guy from F.M.

The guy from 44 Magnum

The guy from Giant

The guy from Godz

The guy from Great White

The guy from Hanoi Rocks

The guy from Helix

The guy from Halloween

The guy from Hell Stra

The guy from Heretic

The guy from Holocast

The guy from Hurrica

The guy from Icon

The guy from Jag Panzer

The guy from Jaguar

The guy from Joshua

The guy from Juggernaut

The guy from King Diamond

The guy from King Kobra

The guy from Kings X

The guy from Kix

The guy from Krokus

The guy from Leather Wolf

The guy from Legs Diamond

The guy from Lillian Axe

The guy from Lion

The guy from Magnum

The guy from Mammoth

The guy from Messiah Force

The guy from Napalm Death

The guy from Nuclear Assault

The guy from Obsession

The guy from Obus

The guy from Omen

The guy from Onslaught

The guy from Pandemonium

THe guy from Paradise Lost

The guy from Paradox

The guy from Pestilence

The guy from Possessed

The guy from Precious Metal

The guy from Prism

The guy from Raven

The guy from Rods

The guy from Running Wild

The guy from Samson

The guy from Sanctuary

The guy from Satan

The guy from Savage

The guy from Savage Grace

The guy from Savatage

The guy from Saxon

The guy from Sea Hags

The guy from Sentinal Beast

The guy from Sinner

The guy from Slaughter

The guy from Sniper

The guy from Sodom

The guy from Spartan Warrior

The guy from Stormwitch

The guy from Tesla

The guy from Twisted Sister (the guitarist : Jay Jay French)

The guy from White Lion

The guy from White Snake (1st guitarist : Micky Moody)

The guy from Zodiac Mindwarp

• Members

I did some looking around:

GUY MANN DUDE:

Put out one solo album and vanished into oblivion. Rumor was it was the

"jump on the shred bandwagon for cash" project of a drummer of a name

band playing under a pseudonym.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Mann-Dude

The entire band BLANKET OF SECRECY:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanket_of_Secrecy

The entire band SYMPHONIC SLAM (Timo Laine):

http://timolainemusic.com/home.html

Mads Ericksen (norwegian shred god with a sense of humor):

http://www.madseriksen.com/

Jon Butcher (imagine a black michael mcdonald [singing] with awesome guitar):

http://www.jonbutcher.com/

Western Vacation (Marty Schwartz):

This band had a lot of ex-Zappa alums in it, including Steve Vai.

They did a self-titled release with Schwartz, Vai, Bob and Susannah Harris,

Chris Frazier, Tommy Mars and others on Muffin records. A short lived

second release with Mike Keneally drummer Frank Briggs produced the

grunge influenced "Vibraudoblast" (I have one track "Earthquake" from

this extremely hard to find CD - Muffin went bankrupt just as the disc

was released unfortunately).

• Members

The guy from Alcatrazz [steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen or the guy after?]

The guy from Asia [which one? Steve Howe = yes, Guthrie Govan = shred career]

The guy from Bonfire [the 70s prog band with "bonfire goes bananas" or the later metal band?]

The guy from F.M. [that guy plays violin with K.D. Lang]

The guy from Giant [Dan Huff - sessions and producer]

The guy from Kings X [still playing with King's X, Platypus and more]

The guy from Prism [Japanese fusion band for over 30 years, still playing]

The guy from White Lion [Vito Bratta - working in finance if I remember right]

• Members

The guy from Icon

John Aquilino runs a TV production studio in Mesa, AZ...I don't know what Dan Wexler does. I was in a garage band with John in Scottsdale, AZ when he was 16 years old.

Then one day I look in Circus magazine and there they are, dressed like Ratt :facepalm:

• Members

He has some killer sig pick ups
:evil:

Made for him by Stevens Design Pick Ups.

http://www.sdpickups.com/humbuckers.shtml

And the missing in action guys :

More updates:

The guy from Exodus: Rick Hunolt apparently developed a bad drug habit and fell off. Replaced by Lee Altus of Heathen. Gary Holt is still keeping Exodus alive. Last couple of albums have been killer.

The guy from Jag Panzer: Chris Broderick is currently in Megadeth

The guy from Kings X: Ty Tabor is still in King's X.

The guy from Napalm Death: Justin Broadrick is now fronting Jesu. Bill Steer is fronting Firebird (excellent bluesy stoner rock), Mitch Harris is still in Napalm Death, Jesse Pintado passed away a couple of years back from liver failure I think.

The guy from Paradise Lost: Both Gregor Mackintosh and Aaron Aedy are still kicking it with PL. Released a highly acclaimed album last year, Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.

The guy from Pestilence: Patrick Mameli reformed Pestilence for an album last year. Patrick Uterwijk did not play on the album but did tour with them.

The guy from Slaughter: Tim Kelly passed away back in the 90's I believe.

• Members

The guy from Alcatrazz - Vai and Malmsteen?

The guy from Danger Danger - Andy Timmons has a great solo career still.

The guy from Excodus - They're still around?

The guy from Great White - They're also still around.

The guy from Halloween - It's HELLoween, and Michael Weikath is still IN Helloween, who are still kicking successfully, while Kai Hansen is still fronting Gamma Ray, who are also pretty successful.

The guy from Jag Panzer - Chris Broderick. Nevermore, and now Megadeth.

The guy from King Diamond - Andy Laroque is STILL in King Diamond.

The guy from Kings X - STILL in Kings X. Did you try at all when you made your list?

The guy from Sanctuary - Lenny is a producer. Jeff Loomis is in Nevermore. I read that Sean does music for films now.

The guy from Savatage - Cris is dead. Hit head on by a drunk driver in the 90's. Chris Cafferty is in Savatage, and Trans Siberian Orchestra.

The guy from Slaughter - Passed Away

The guy from Tesla - Still touring with Tesla.

The guy from Twisted Sister (the guitarist : Jay Jay French) - Still in Twisted Sister.

The guy from White Lion - Vito Bratta is completely out of the music business.

Remember, bands don't disappear just because you stop listening to them. I'm sure a lot more of that list is still out there playing.

• Members

They became The Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Incorrect.

TSO is Paul Oneil's project. There is only one member of Savatage in TSO, Jonny Lee Middleton (bassist). Doc Wacholz at one point was drumming for Crimson Glory, (I think), and Jon Oliva is recording and touring with Jon Oliva's Pain. Cris Oliva, the guitarist, is dead. Other members that have been involved in the band are now currently in TSO, such as Chris Cafferty (second guitarist on Gutter Ballet and Streets), Alex Skolnik, Jeff Plate, etc...., but they were all in and out of Savatage long after their 80's heyday.

Paul Oneil, in fact, was the guy who helped steer the band so far off course in the first place. He inspired much of Gutter Ballet including the title, and wrote the entire Streets album (which was a rock opera titled Gutter Ballet). He was also responsible for the orchestral inspired "Christmas Eve Sarajevo", which is the tune that eventually branched off into TSO. Paul co-wrote the bulk of Savatage's later material, but was never a member.

• Members

Shame about Vito Bratta. I HATED White Lion, but let's give credit where it's due...Bratta was an excellent guitar player.

How about Amir Derakh?

Also a shame about Jake E. Lee. I remember when he had been given the position of music director for Ozzy and Ozzy was saying in interviews that he trusts Lee enough to give him the reigns of the band. Next thing you know, he's out on the street.

Amir Derakh was in Orgy for a while, currently playing with Linkin Park side project Dead By Sunrise.

• Members

I saw Mark Knopfler with Dire Straits at the Greek in LA in the late 80's and they were absolutely killer. The next thing I know he's doing hillbilly {censored} with Guy Fletcher, and it just went downhill from there. He's still a great player, but his albums are real snoozers with stupid songs (Baloney Again, Quality Shoe) and some gems (Prairie Wedding, Coyote) thrown in just to remind you of how great he was with Dire Straits. As far as I'm concerned, he's mostly MIA.

• Members

Incorrect.

TSO is Paul Oneil's project. There is only one member of Savatage in TSO, Jonny Lee Middleton (bassist). Doc Wacholz at one point was drumming for Crimson Glory, (I think), and Jon Oliva is recording and touring with Jon Oliva's Pain. Cris Oliva, the guitarist, is dead. Other members that have been involved in the band are now currently in TSO, such as Chris Cafferty (second guitarist on Gutter Ballet and Streets), Alex Skolnik, Jeff Plate, etc...., but they were all in and out of Savatage long after their 80's heyday.

Paul Oneil, in fact, was the guy who helped steer the band so far off course in the first place. He inspired much of Gutter Ballet including the title, and wrote the entire Streets album (which was a rock opera titled Gutter Ballet). He was also responsible for the orchestral inspired "Christmas Eve Sarajevo", which is the tune that eventually branched off into TSO. Paul co-wrote the bulk of Savatage's later material, but was never a member.

Don't forget about Al Pitrelli. Ironically, there is an interview with him in the latest Guitar Player.

• Members

I've seen Steve Stevens in a guitar magazine recently. He just released a solo album, I believe. He's still out there plugging away and touring with Billy Idol, I think.

+1. SS is a tremendous guitar player! If he is less well known today than he was in the 80's, blame it on the current malaise of the music biz.

• Members

I saw Mark Knopfler with Dire Straits at the Greek in LA in the late 80's and they were absolutely killer. The next thing I know he's doing hillbilly {censored} with Guy Fletcher, and it just went downhill from there. He's still a great player, but his albums are real snoozers with stupid songs (Baloney Again, Quality Shoe) and some gems (Prairie Wedding, Coyote) thrown in just to remind you of how great he was with Dire Straits. As far as I'm concerned, he's mostly MIA.

He's released a lot of albums, most of them getting quite positive reviews. I like his alt-country-ish stuff.

Unlike many people in the music business, he hasn't released essentially the same album over and over and over again.

• Members

alot of those guys are still pretty active. i know bratta and vandenberg suffered pretty serious injuries. beach has been playing with dokken and whitesnake.

the only reason you don't hear more about them is if your musical tastes prevent you from doing so.

• Members

Bill Carter from the Screaming Blue Messiahs

That band pretty much vanished right about the time things were changing towards their sound. They might have done Ok if they could have hung around for the alt rock boom of the early 90s.

Though I don't think he was that great of a guitarist, I loved this band. I still listen to "Totally Religious" on occasion. I agree that if they coulda held on a coupla more years they might have actually hit. 'Course, that's true of a whole bunch of 80s alt rock bands (though, you really never know. I think specifically of Sugar [bob Mould's 90s alt rock band] and they were at the right place at the right time with the right music and still never really hit).

• Members

Jake E Lee....Killer guitar player...WTF is he doing now?????

He was in an add for some effects pedal in Vintage Guitar mag not too long ago.

I was in a local record shop last week and couldn't resist picking this up. Haven't heard of him in ages (I do remember ads for his album in Guitar Player magazine).

hpim1403.jpg

• Members

Vinnie Vincent lives around me (somewhere)...

About 12 years ago I was working at an electronics store and he came in and bought a CD player.
Nice enough guy, (he's like 5'2" tall), but we were a little disappointed in his choice of electronics.
He bought a $79 Pioneer CD player.
Real POS.

Times were tough, I guess.....

Archived