Pickup recommendations for Telecaster

dattebayo1

• Members

I recently got my hands on a Japanese '62 Custom Telecaster. Guitar plays wonderfully, but i'm a little disappointed in the Pickup department :/

The Bridge is overly sharp and biting, and when using the neck pickup there's a trumendous drop in volume and clarity (not a pickup hieght problem, they're just really unbalanced???)

I bought the Tele to sound like a Tele. I'm after some proper oldschool tele twang/ player transparency, what would do you guys recommend?? :poke:

• Members

I recently got my hands on a Japanese '62 Custom Telecaster. Guitar plays wonderfully, but i'm a little disappointed in the Pickup department :/

The Bridge is overly sharp and biting, and when using the neck pickup there's a trumendous drop in volume and clarity (not a pickup hieght problem, they're just really unbalanced???)

I bought the Tele to sound like a Tele. I'm after some proper oldschool tele twang/ player transparency, what would do you guys recommend?? :poke:

I just bought a set of these Mojotone pickups from a forum member. The writeup on them indicates they are specifically made to address your issue. When I get them and install them, I'll be posting pics and clips...

• Members

I'll have to give one a try someday...

My only experience with a minuhum was with an LP deluxe (circa 1970), and it was most emphatically NOT tele-ish!!!

I'm guessing that it was a hotter pickup with a 500K pot in a mahogany / maple top guitar. If this is even partially accurate, it is not going to sound like a tele neck pickup

• Members

If the cavity will accomodate it, I cannot over-emphasize a recommendation for a mini humbucker in the neck

...and if the cavity isn't big enough, enlarge it! It's not that hard to do and the mini bucker in the neck position is more than worth the effort.

• Members

BG or Keystones.

I have a set of Keystones and the bridge pickup is just great. Tele all the way but not thin sounding. The neck is very good but sounds a little more srrat neck than classic tele neck. Together they fill the room. Sound huge with a 4 way.

Archived