Tuning stability on my strat.

aepoc

• Members

So I'm starting to play guitar a lot more lately, working on lots of different things... one of which is my bends (large bends). It seems my strat isn't staying in tune as well as I'd like it to. It's a 2003 MIM Deluxe Super Strat. All hardware is stock except for the Lace Sensor Holy Grails I have in, and there are three springs on the trem. Here's one of my photos of it:

2067299468_99aa47fa23_b.jpg

I never use the trem arm (vibrato arm), and in fact I never have. I have no idea if I should throw locking tuners on there, a better nut, more trem springs... is there something I can do to the bridge/trem to stop it from moving?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

• Members

Gawd I wish people would stop posting that stupid video. All he's doing is counting on the strings binding in the nut and tuning to that point. As soon as he bends a string, the string becomes unstuck and the guitar goes hopelessly out of tune. It's useless, especially as the OP said he doesn't use the trem and he does large bends.

To the OP, make sure your bridge is floating and parallel with the guitar's body; you're stringing the guitar properly and stretching the strings well and that the nut is properly cut for the gauge you're using. A properly set up Strat will stay in tune well, even with moderate whammy use.

• Members

And going on from what GCDEF says, lube the nut. Nothing extravagant--I just use a mechanical pencil every string change.

On my Strat, I did tighten the springs a fair bit so that I have the bridge at about 3/32"-1/8" with 10s on. But still just the three springs. And I don't use the bar very much--it stays in the case usually.

But I play the snuff out of it and have no tuning issues.

So try the springs and lube the nut.

• Members

Gawd I wish people would stop posting that stupid video. All he's doing is counting on the strings binding in the nut and tuning to that point. As soon as he bends a string, the string becomes unstuck and the guitar goes hopelessly out of tune. It's useless, especially as the OP said he doesn't use the trem and he does large bends.

To the OP, make sure your bridge is floating and parallel with the guitar's body; you're stringing the guitar properly and stretching the strings well and that the nut is properly cut for the gauge you're using. A properly set up Strat will stay in tune well, even with moderate whammy use.

This video is one of the most stupid things I have ever seen. It's like herpes - it keeps coming back with no warning.

Before you do anything, take some chapstick and a toothpick and put a small amount in the nut slots and tune to pitch. Be sure you have new strings (or, at least, good strings). If your strings are over a month old they need to be changed. Pencil lead also works well.

Good strings and a well lubed nut will take care of 90% of tuning problems.

• Members

I use four springs and float the back of the bridge off the body around a 1/8 inch, and I use lip balm wax on the nut, tree and bridge where the string contacts.

That's almost exactly what I do. IMO unless the trem is blocked, tuning stability will be best with the bridge floating.

• Members

That's almost exactly what I do. IMO unless the trem is blocked, tuning stability will be best with the bridge floating.

Many times when the strings are just broken in, I will put it away after playing a couple hours and it will still be in almost perfect tune when I pick it up to play again the next day. I have locking tuners on my Strat but I don't think it makes much difference.

• Members

Many times when the strings are just broken in, I will put it away after playing a couple hours and it will still be in almost perfect tune when I pick it up to play again the next day. I have locking tuners on my Strat but I don't think it makes much difference.

Same here. Takes some initial setup work and good routine maintenance to keep it that way, but I have few tuning issues with mine and I use the trem a fair bit. Mostly for warble and vibrato sounds but I use it to bend up and down to notes a some too.

And when tuning does start to suffer it's usually new string time anyway. I've always thought most people tuning issues just because they don't change their strings often enough. Old strings don't hold good tuning no matter how good your nut is, or whether it's lubed.

• Members

Locking tuners would be a big help too, no?

The wraps on the tuners are flexing, so by eliminating just about all of the wraps you improve tuning stability considerably, right?

I've never spent much time with them so that is why I ask.
Less wrap = less flex?

Also, to the OP. I took a knife to a pencil, shaved some graphite onto the blade and then dusted that into the nut slots. Then took the old string for each slot and slid it back and forth to set the graphite in a little, and to smooth the slot a bit.

Another tip that has worked well for me is to get in the habit of diving the trem arm down and letting it return to neutral before you tune. Then when you are playing, if you hear something move out of tune, you can hit the arm and when it returns to neutral things will be back in tune. That is not a perfect solution by any stretch, but when used in conjunction with the other fixes you can get pretty solid tuning on a Strat.

When I saw Pink Floyd Australia, those guy were tuning their Strats constantly. I just figure it's part of owing a strat.

• Members

Locking tuners would be a big help too, no?

The wraps on the tuners are flexing, so by eliminating just about all of the wraps you improve tuning stability considerably, right?

It can help if the non locking tuners are the issue, but even then it's usually HOW they are wrapped not the fact that they aren't locking. Locking tuners take that variable out of the equation so in that sense they can help, or at the very least are convenient. I'd say 90% of issues are the nut or string trees though.

• Members

Take it and get a setup done by a pro...Just cause someone watches a youtube vid or reads a book, does not make up for years of training and work.
50 bucks
isnt asking to much for a decent setup and restring by a pro every now and then.

Dang - I'm not charging enough. I charge $25 plus strings, $35 plus strings if it has a Floyd.

• Members

If you're NOT using the trem, then the most likely tuning problem after a big bend is your strings are not stretched properly. Tune your guitar to pitch, and then hold each string in turn around the twelth fret and pull it away from the fretboard about 1.5 inches two or three times. Check the string's still in tune; It's probably gone flat. Retune to pitch and repeat the process (one string at a time) until the stretch no longer causes the string to go flat. This should sort you out.

If you use light gauge strings (9s or less, don't go mad on the 1st and second strings, or you'll break them)

• Members

50 bucks is not bad and its not an every single day thing. But I know our shop charges around that for a complete setup on a strat. From there you have a guitar you just throw strings on when its time for a change and your off...That includes everything down to nut filing if you are changing gauges and checking all break points to make sure there is not a potential problem you were unaware of, etc. That is a pro setup...just a basic string change and height adjustment is usually about what bro blue stated.

• Members

BoneNut - Yes I do. It was a little wacky getting used to the tuners on my Strat, coming from a Schecter C-1 Elite, but I was showed how to do it by the shop that I had setup the guitar (Strat). I know I need new strings for it... just gotta get around to picking them up.

Archived