Are Strats just for SRV wanabees and Blues Hacks?

mguts5150

• Members

I love my Strat, but it seems like every time I hear someone playing with one at a bar or club, they either are trying to sound like Stevie Ray Vaughan or it's a white guy with really nice clothes and a very expensive amp that is trying to convince everyone he has a terrible case of the blues.

Is there any hope for playing a Strat?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most of the bands I play with use guitars other than stratocasters, but I play them exclusively (and we are far from old/ rich/ Stevie Ray Vaughabees). I don't know if its just just the hipster scene of offsets and tele's that makes people go that route? I think like anything they come in cycles.

• Members

Strats can do ANY music type that has a guitar in it.

As far as the rich white guy thing...What?

I have seen more regular dudes with a strat or copy of a strat banging through a huge variety of musical stylings than any other type of guitar. Sure there are guys that make more money than others and choose to buy strats. I don't even have a real strat myself but there are 5 copies or variations in my room at least. I use them for blues, metal, prog, jazz, surf and just about anything else I can think up.

• Members

Strats are for people who like comfortable, good sounding, well made guitars. Strats are fun to mod also, tryin to make one you've not seen before and when ur done it doesn't even really sound like a strat anymore.... fun times.

Currently my strat has the duncan alt 8 humbucker at the bridge and a duncan vintage 54 telecaster rhythm pickup in the middle, and that's it.

I'm 23, and poor, and one of my old bands covered the jack by ac dc, closest to blues I've ever played live.

Archived