Are Strats just for SRV wanabees and Blues Hacks?

mguts5150

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
That's a fail post on two counts.

The OP confirmed that this was a genuine question, and one that deserved an answer.

Strat or a Suhr? ... Makes zero difference. It's what you
do
with it that counts.

And the guy from Nigeria confirmed he was really the attorney for a dead king looking for a partner to help him dispose of forty million dollars. :facepalm:

• Members

Real blues players play this.

bio_pic.jpg

This.

But, being from Memphis, I can assure you that a lot of crappy wannabe blues players, most of them white and middle-aged, play down on Beale Street all the time, and always they play "The Sky is Crying" and "Mustang Sally" and so on and so forth...

:facepalm: and they always have a Strat, and it's always got a rosewood fretboard, and they usually have a Dr. Z amp.

I definitely think there's some credence to the Strat being a "lawyer guitar", at least in Memphis on "world famous" Beale Street--but that doesn't mean you can't use it for anything else you want. I find the sound of a Strat comes more from who's playing it than which Strat it is, more times than not. And hell, no two are alike, so if you got one, it wouldn't play like anybody else's anyway.

...but all the hill country blues guys I love play {censored}ty Indonesian guitars (Ibanez GRX-40's, that sort of thing) or they play weirdo Japanese 60's and 70's stuff that they bought new, and it's always beat to hell, and they're always plugged straight into a Peavey, and they always sound better than I ever will.

Archived