Your Would-a, Should-a, Could-a Artists of the Rock Era?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll also add Sloan, who've been together since 1991 and still have their original lineup. And all 4 guys write songs and sing and play multiple instruments, somehow without apparent ego clashes. And their stuff is killer. They are not to be missed live, if you ever get the chance.

I guess they're fairly well known in their native Canada, but not here.

Yeah, but they did split and reform (later called a "hiatus"). Whatever problems they may have had, they seem to be behind them. As far as the live thing goes, they are inconsistent. I've seen great shows and cringe worthy ones. But, consistently killer albums.

js

• Members

For bragging rights, I saw them on their one and only North American tour. Played my University - no big stage or anything - just on the gym floor. Stood 3 feet away from a (probably terrified) Andy Partridge.

js

I'm pretty sure that I recall a SF style gel slideshow on that tour (1980? and snowing). I saw the show at a MPLS basement bar way on the eastern fringes.

• Members

The Hooters..

.gonna see my bud Eric Baziliian this weekend at the 'Record Collector' in Bordentown NJ...Lisa Bouchelle is opening.

He's such a great producer -- Billie Myers' "Kiss the Rain" and Amanda Marshall's "Shades of Gray" are two 90s songs that are still on my revolving playlist (and those two incredible singers are both Coulda-Shouldas...)

• Members

+ 1 on XTC, Matthew Sweet (I wore out the "Girlfriend" album), Marshall Crenshaw

Joan Armatrading. Should have had hits a la Tracy Chapman.

Julia Fordham. What a voice.

The Mavericks. Too "alt-country" for country radio?

In my area, they are (or perhaps, were) huge. I've seen them maybe 5 times, every concert was sold out quickly, and every one packed a lot of entertainment for your dollar. I say "were huge" because Stephen Page imploded his career, left the band (or was asked to leave), and the band has been quiet since. Several years ago, they actually had a TV pilot deal with Fox. Might have been a "Monkees" like band-within-a-sitcom thing? Could have been a fun summer replacement show.

• Members

Yeah - The Merry-Go-Round was his early band.

His song "Lullaby" is on The Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack. I couldn't believe it when I heard it, 'cause I thought Emmit was almost totally unknown and/or forgotten.

The album that has the cuts I posted up is I think a 1970 album - so it's a pretty good sound for a home studio in those days. Very "taped" sounding.

Nowadays his sound is to me more charming than revelatory - in fact very McCartney-ish in that aspect also. But I love the sound, the simplicity and directness of his material. I can only imagine if he had the right backers and all, he could have made a big time career - at least as big as maybe Gerry Rafferty, maybe?

nat whilk ii

I remember meeting a girl at college around the time that album came out..., I just fell in love with Emmits voice, very McCartneyish,

Anyway I fell for this girl so bad, it was one of those saccharine,'skip through the meadow holding hands' type of relationships'

We loved all the same poetry, books, music etc.

I told her 'I have an album I think your'e gonna love'....I whip it out and she meantime pulls the same album out of her big knitted Hippie bag!

• Members

...The Mavericks. Too "alt-country" for country radio?...

Excellent choice! I'm friends with the unofficial fifth Maverick, pianist/organist Jerry Dale McFadden. I've known him since the mid-80s when he had his own act. He is a great player and a great guy.

• Moderators

XTC for sure. I too saw them during the Drums and Wires tour. A little Lions Club hall in San Diego. Packed with 250 people or so. They were... freaking great.

How about Jonathan Richman? He sort of reminds me of the mentaly handicapped guy bagging groceries down the street. Heart of gold but maybe not all there? I saw him in a little wharf bar in Monterey, CA. I'd only read of him up to that point. This was maybe 1990. I walked by and a Food Special board outside read "Jonathan Richman Tonight, $10." I sat on the dance floor with the rest of the crowd. I've never had so much fun before or since. What a nut. Very funny and touching all at once.

[YOUTUBE]-r5NkEkaXHQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Which "basement bar" was that? Could it have been William's in Uptown?

No, I can't recall the name, but it was one of the least likely places that you could imagine. I believe they briefly booked it as an alternative to the Longhorn. I lived in South Central, but this was way east. :confused:

• Members

Julia Fordham. What a voice.

I remember her performing live on a weekly Sunday night VH1 show back in the 80's; just a stunning voice accompanied by an acoustic guitar. Bought an album; overproduced beyond belief, just ruined a great performer. Shame.

• Members

Totally agree with the choice of The Mavericks. I thought they were superb.

Drivin' N Cryin' I know, they had songs/albums and other songs/albums that well, SUCKED, but when they were on, they were on. What went wrong there?

Concrete Blonde. Same dealio.

One of my personal faves is Uriah Heep. I know, they had a pretty big splash in their day, but I'd trade a hundred Led Zeppelins for one Uriah Heep.

Oh, and Starz. I'm still rockin' Coliseum Rock, 30 years later.

• Members

Drivin' N Cryin' I know, they had songs/albums and other songs/albums that well, SUCKED, but when they were on, they were on. What went wrong there?

One of my personal faves is Uriah Heep. I know, they had a pretty big splash in their day, but I'd trade a hundred Led Zeppelins for one Uriah Heep.

Just played my Concrete Blonde album New Years Eve:thu:

When you say Starz, are you referring to 'Attention Shoppers' guys...you know I bought that album in 1978 or so...I always thought they were a Jersey Bar Band...I just went up to my studio and pulled out the vinyl, it says Woodland California....Jeez, don't I FEEL LIKE THE ASSHOLE.:eek:

• Members

TimRocker, whose picture are you using as your Avatar?

Inquiring minds want to know....

• Members

They signed with a major label for awhile, that's what. :D Seriously, most of the stuff that sucked was their major label stuff.

They're still going, actually, and just put out a really good record.

• Members

No, I can't recall the name, but it was one of the least likely places that you could imagine. I believe they briefly booked it as an alternative to the Longhorn. I lived in South Central, but this was way east.
:confused:

It doesn't ring a bell, but the Longhorn sure does. I witnessed much good music there. I lived all over the place, Minnetonka, around the U, South Minneapolis, 34th & Hennepin, then out to Eden Prairie.

• Members

No one has mentioned The Jayhawks.

Oh crap, I was totally GOING to mention the Jayhawks!

(BTW Tomorrow The Green Grass is my favorite record of theirs and it's not squashed).

Which is why I knew I'd regret participating in this thread, because there are WAY too many artists I love who fall into this category, and I knew I would leave too many un-mentioned. :D

Seems like a lot of you guys have it covered pretty well, though. :thu:

And if we're going to mention the Jayhawks, I guess we have to mention Wilco, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, etc. Seems like more folks are familiar with Wilco these days, at least.

• Members

Oh crap, I was totally GOING to mention the Jayhawks!

(BTW
Tomorrow The Green Grass
is my favorite record of theirs and it's not squashed).

Glad I beat you to them. Another Minneapolis band that "Should Have Been the Big One". ;)

"Tomorrow the Green Grass" isn't too bad as far as being squashed, BUT (the big but), I can't even bear to listen to much of "Rainy Day Music". I listened and heard so much distortion on some of the songs that I eventually took a look at the waveforms. Over half the songs are hard clipped in MANY areas. I think some of the songs have a dynamic range of about a dB and a half or so (well, maybe I exaggerate slightly, but just slightly). Several of their other cd's are the same.

• Members

Just played my Concrete Blonde album New Years Eve:thu:

When you say Starz, are you referring to 'Attention Shoppers' guys...you know I bought that album in 1978 or so...I always thought they were a Jersey Bar Band...I just went up to my studio and pulled out the vinyl, it says Woodland California....Jeez, don't I FEEL LIKE THE ASSHOLE.
:eek:

Yes, the Attention Shoppers Starz. They had a couple of albums that were like hard rock/metal earcandy. I loved Coliseum Rock from cover to cover. And, yes, I believe that they were from New Jersey.

Archived